Squeaking from front and rear when going over speed bumps

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Squeaking from front and rear when going over speed bumps

Liked
    0 times

Default Squeaking from front and rear when going over speed bumps

I searched the boards and found nothing on my issue.

So I have these speed bumps in my neighborhood and this afternoon I noticed that when going over them at anything but super slow I hear a squeak from the front and the rear. Could it be my shocks or something else? I have the TRD Off-road package on my Double Cab 05 Tundra. Any tips or suggestions on what to do or anything else I should look out for?
    When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default Re: Squeaking from front and rear when going over speed bumps

Try getting some like multi-purpose lube type of spray and getting the connections of the leaf springs, then in the front the lower ball joints are always my culprits. one quick spray and its gone for about a month+ depending on weather.

Liked
    10 times
    Images

not trying to be a dick but when your truck ages, it will start to squeak and rattle. you can't expect it to be super quiet, it's not a Lexus so turn up the volume.

but, it can be anything. most likely it would be your struts or rear shocks. visually check them and if they are not leaking, you should be ok. lubing up your rear leaf's will help too.
    Last edited by integraGSR; 10-07-2009 at 03:22 PM.

05 Salsa Red Pearl DC
    01 Honda Civic
    95 Acura Integra

Liked
    0 times

What brand of multi-purpose lube do you recommend?
    When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.

Liked
    2774 times
    Images

Fronts: Chances are, it's a steering rack or sway bar bushing that's the culprit. If the bushings are still in good condition, regreasing them usually does the trick.

Rears: Squeaks here can really only be from two places, 1. leaf spring pack, or 2. upper shock mounts. To get the leaf springs regreased, lift the rear by the frame so the rear suspension droops, then get the largest screwdriver you can find, gently pry the packs apart and get some good grease in there. As far as the shock squeak, there was a TSB about the upper shock mount. Do a search in the Gen-1 forum to find the solution (essentially, just removing the upper shock mount, flipping the bushing, and reinstalling.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 10-07-2009 at 03:56 PM.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

I also had a squeak from the back end of my 05 Tundra when going over speed bumps and when driving slowly down very rough streets. I took my truck into the dealer and mentioned the TSB mentioned above about reversing the upper shock mounts. They performed the TSB and no more squeaks. That's something to check first, it just might solve the problem.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I also had a squeak from my front end and it turns out that one of the bolts that holds my metal skid plate on had gone missing as well as the retaining nut. went to Autozone and bought a bolt and nut with washers and replaced the missing set. Problem solved on the front end. About 3 years ago, I had a problem with the rear squeaking and had the rear shocks replaced. Problem solved on the rear end. It could be numerous things. You just have to troubleshoot and find the cause. It's usually a pretty quick fix.
    '03, SR5 Access Cab, Salsa, Charcoal Int, 4X4, V-8, Toyota Lid, Westin Nurfs, Hood Protector, Front Tint, Drop In Liner

Veteran Member
    Liked
    3 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by synystergates View Post
    What brand of multi-purpose lube do you recommend?

I just grab a bottle named exactly that from NAPA actually its only like $3

Liked
    1994 times
    Images

i had the annoying squeek from the leaf springs. my chick was callin my truck THE CRICKET. i thought it was the shocks but it was the springs so i shot a little oil in there around the eye mounts, the tabs and in the shackles. never came back.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Lurking Member 03_Tundra_Limited's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

other than the mentioned squeak culprits mentioned if your rear springs are out of line (like mine ha) that will do it, also the tailgate can cause squeaking when going over speedbumps its worth checking out and can be easily fixed with lube also. i prefer a silicon based lube. good luck in your quest to be squeak free! i have already given up on my battle haha