2005 Tundra frame rust - worth the repair? - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

2005 Tundra frame rust - worth the repair?

First post! I am looking at this 2005 Tundra SR5 that's for sale at a local dealership. They are asking $10,990 for it. It has 130k miles. What I'm wondering about is the frame rust. The body shows no signs of rust, but it definitely has a considerable amount of frame rust and I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are in terms if it's worth cleaning up, and how. I've thought about how I'd do it and I think I'd try to wire wheel it as much as I could then figure out a way to spray used oil all over the frame. I'm wondering if the frame is too far gone to even consider repairing, not to mention all the bushings and whatnot that are held in with rusty bolts. I definitely don't want a nightmare on my hands.

I've attached some pictures for reference. What are your thoughts about price vs. frame condition and amount of work to repair?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0041.JPG (1.05 MB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0040.JPG (485.7 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0039.JPG (661.8 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0037.JPG (492.7 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0031.JPG (983.4 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0034.JPG (507.3 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0035.JPG (518.2 KB, 166 views)
shatto likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Re: 2005 Tundra frame rust - worth the repair?

My opinion, in looking at the photos is that it looks like primarily surface rust. Does this version of the Tundra have a partially boxed frame? If so, I would be concerned about what cannot be seen.

For the visible spots, I would wire wheel and use some sort of rust converting primer, like POR. Places that apply rust preventive coatings can spray something on the inside of the boxed sections.

Is that a hole rusted through the member in picture #4, near the lower shock mount? If it is, plan on replacing some parts.
shatto likes this.

2013 Tundra DC 4X2 4.6l Silver Sky Metallic
2010 Camry
2014 Camry
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

It's questionable. The frame is obviously beyond surface rust with the first layer of metal flaking off. I had some areas like that on my truck which I was able to wire brush off, but I also had some areas where part of the structural welds broke off.

Luckily, it wasn't a critical part of the frame and there was still enough weld to not be concerned, but things like those are what I'd be leery of that you can only check out with a ball peen hammer.

That drain plug on the rear diff will most likely have to be torched to break the rust bond and the from CAM alignment hardware is obviously frozen.

Truthfully, unless they give you a good offer and are willing to let you or have them check the integrity of areas your concerned about, I'd start looking at other Tundras. JMO

Lastly, did you check for holes in the pickup bed? They may be there if there's a plastic liner present with them hiding underneath.
shatto and brhoton like this.

"Laughter is the best medicine. But, if you're laughing without any reason, you need medicine."

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc08 View Post
My opinion, in looking at the photos is that it looks like primarily surface rust. Does this version of the Tundra have a partially boxed frame? If so, I would be concerned about what cannot be seen.

For the visible spots, I would wire wheel and use some sort of rust converting primer, like POR. Places that apply rust preventive coatings can spray something on the inside of the boxed sections.

Is that a hole rusted through the member in picture #4, near the lower shock mount? If it is, plan on replacing some parts.
I don't believe there are any fully boxed areas of the frame on the 1st gens. And now that you point that out I certainly am seeing the same thing you are. I cannot quite tell if there's a hole there or not. I will definitely go back and check on it and hopefully snap more pictures. The more I look at this thing I don't know if I want to deal with it for the price they're asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack mccarthy View Post
It's questionable. The frame is obviously beyond surface rust with the first layer of metal flaking off. I had some areas like that on my truck which I was able to wire brush off, but I also had some areas where part of the structural welds broke off.

Luckily, it wasn't a critical part of the frame and there was still enough weld to not be concerned, but things like those are what I'd be leery of that you can only check out with a ball peen hammer.

That drain plug on the rear diff will most likely have to be torched to break the rust bond and the from CAM alignment hardware is obviously frozen.

Truthfully, unless they give you a good offer and are willing to let you or have them check the integrity of areas your concerned about, I'd start looking at other Tundras. JMO

Lastly, did you check for holes in the pickup bed? They may be there if there's a plastic liner present with them hiding underneath.
The diff plug and alignment cams are definitely concerning. And thank you for the tip on looking underneath the plastic in the bed. It in fact does have a plastic bed liner and I have not looked underneath it. I feel like this 11 y/o truck is not worth the $11k they're asking for it
shatto likes this.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:03 AM

My 2002 Colorado based Tundr looks much much better than that at 400,000 miles. That much rust is like... $2k worth off the price to me. The good thing is that the bushings and such probably will be fine (ish) for the next 100k miles so kick the can down the road. You could buy it and do nothing and sell it after you put 100k on it.
shatto likes this.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 12:35 PM
Rookie

Oddly my 2003 Tundra is currently having the entire frame replaced. I waited 4 months for the frame to arrive. The 3.5 Billion settlement from last year may have something to do with it....
shatto likes this.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the recall on Tundra frame only covered 2000-2003 Tundras? I've never been able to find info on 2004-2006 frame recalls.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:54 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbomber08 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the recall on Tundra frame only covered 2000-2003 Tundras? I've never been able to find info on 2004-2006 frame recalls.
When I bought my 2006 DC last year, it had an entirely new frame, brake lines and some other stuff. Guy even had the paperwork in the glovebox. The dealer should be able to pull up the VIN and see if it should have been taken care of. If it should have been and they sell it without it being done I would imagine it would be a legal issue.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:55 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCargo View Post
Oddly my 2003 Tundra is currently having the entire frame replaced. I waited 4 months for the frame to arrive. The 3.5 Billion settlement from last year may have something to do with it....
I have a 2002 SR5 I bought 2 years ago from the original owner in Pennsylvania. It only had 87,000 miles on it and got it for low asking price. as time has gone by I've noticed more rust issues and I'm being nickel and dimed on brake lines. Is Toyota replacing the frame under their short term recall notice from back in 2010 thatI just found out about? If so, then what can I do to get Toyota to do this for my Tundra?

Thanks for any input!
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:51 PM

Hey guys.... two things... go to toyotaframesettlement.com for info on the frame debacle. My sequois rust is BANANAS and I can't wait to have my frame replaced as part of the settlement. Second thing... the images at the beginning of this thread... surface rust? really? What is heavy rust? When the frame cracks in half and you can see through it like swiss cheese? That frame is awful and this is coming from a guy who lives on the ocean.

Check out the site. Not a scam. On the 1st gen Sequoia I did a lengthy post of what this is all about. Expect official recall notifications from Toyota in the mail in the next 4 months or so.

"A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

"The BEAST"
2006 Sequoia SR5, 4WD
133K Miles
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losh304 View Post
I have a 2002 SR5 I bought 2 years ago from the original owner in Pennsylvania. It only had 87,000 miles on it and got it for low asking price. as time has gone by I've noticed more rust issues and I'm being nickel and dimed on brake lines. Is Toyota replacing the frame under their short term recall notice from back in 2010 thatI just found out about? If so, then what can I do to get Toyota to do this for my Tundra?

Thanks for any input!
I'll explain exactly what happened..... My spare tire suddenly broke off the undercarriage. Needing a new tire as I couldn't get it back from off the highway I went to several different local flat fix shops to purchase a rim and spare. The last one I visited said to me that I should go back to the dealer because there may have been a recall for the bracket. I had nothing to lose so I went to the local dealership here knowing that there was an airbag sensor recall that I had to take the vehicle in for.
Service Mg said that none of the recalls were done on the vehicle. We're going to do a full inspection. Result: we're requesting from Toyota a new frame. Was authorized within a few days of request. Frame came a little over 3 months later. Call from Dealer....Bring vehicle in. Frame has arrived. Vehicle completed Today.
Now. How can you get the same treatment???? I don't want to lie to you. I really don't know.....
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Here is the picture of what looks like the hole in the frame behind the front control arm. It's not a hole. I I'm going to read up on the settlement to see what options I may have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0046.jpg (947.7 KB, 123 views)
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:42 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbomber08 View Post
Here is the picture of what looks like the hole in the frame behind the front control arm. It's not a hole. I I'm going to read up on the settlement to see what options I may have.
Is this vehicle for sale from a local Toyota Dealership? I've never seen a new car dealership offer for sale a car of that age. Normally in my area of the Northeast late late model vehicles like that one are auctioned off...
You would need the Vin # of the vehicle and proceed to a Toyota Dealership Service Dept to find out if the vehicle was serviced for any campaigns issued. Take a look at the tire carrier underneath the rear bed. That was a popular area of safety concerns.
I personally would avoid this vehicle from what I see from your photos as well as based on the $$$$$$ price. Without the recall history your going at this blind. There is a definite Airbag sensor recall on that vehicle. Do you know if that recall was handled?
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:07 AM

Garage

If you can't get a frame replacement, I would'nt touch it!
Even if you could get the cam adjustment bolts out, I doubt new adjustment bolts would even seat properly in the frame.
sg1efc likes this.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCargo View Post
Service Mg said that none of the recalls were done on the vehicle. We're going to do a full inspection. Result: we're requesting from Toyota a new frame.
I just took the truck in to get new tires. started to put it up on the rack and the rear end sagged as soon as they started to lift it. I didn't get the tires. When I got home and crawled underneath I found the frame has buckled/cracked right underneath the back of the cab on both sides. (See Pictures).

I registered my VIN with Toyota a couple days ago. The only official service their site shows is the truck was looked at for a "check Engine" light. No indication of recall or inspection for frame rust despite it being in one of the 20 states that their inspection recall was for back in 2010.

I'm definitely contacting Toyota over this.

Question for ClutchCargo. Are you the original owner? I'm the second owner on this truck and I'm wondering if that will make a difference to their customer service for my vehicle?

By the way, thanks to ClutchCargo for responding to my previous inquiry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frame.passenger.side-1.jpg (1.05 MB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg frame.driver.side-2.jpg (949.7 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by Losh304; 02-08-2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: add a thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page