Question How do I shift into 4wd low and other stuff...

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: How do I shift into 4wd low and other stuff...

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default How do I shift into 4wd low and other stuff...

Just bought a used 2002 Tundra crew cab, and I have a couple questions I thought the experts on here could help me with.

1. I have no problems shiftig into 4wd high, but when I try and push the button for Low, it just blinks at me, and then turns off. I try this from 2wd and 4wd with the same results. I have no users manual - suggestions?

2. My truck came with what looks like an auto starter - a wire and antenna around the border of the windshield with an antenna. No model number on it, and the truck came with no starter remote...suggestions?

3. Anyone ever hook up an iPod through the back of the stereo?

Thanks in advance!

e

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: How do I shift into 4wd low and other stuff...

Welcome to TS! I can't help you with the iPod thing or with the remote start or keyless entry problem, but I can help with the 4wd issue. You have to put it in 4hi first. Stop the truck, put it in neutral, then press the 4lo button. That should let it engage 4lo for you! Just reverse those steps to take it out of 4lo when you're done. My truck came with a little cheat sheet mounted on the driver's visor detailing this procedure, but since you don't have a manual you may not have this either. Either way, good luck and enjoy the truck!
    2001 Tundra Limited 4WD, Rhino liner, remote start, 265/75/16 tires, UWS low profile tool box installed and filled to capacity!! Otherwise, it's stock!

2004 4Runner Sport 4WD V8, remote start - given to my parents up the road, so I'm going to keep claiming it.

2011 Sienna LE V6 8-passenger - I love it!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

AHA...the one thing I didn't try - Neutral. I always tried it in drive with the brake on. I'll give it a shot today - thanks!

Liked
    11 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by studio e View Post
    AHA...the one thing I didn't try - Neutral. I always tried it in drive with the brake on. I'll give it a shot today - thanks!
    Isn't there an instruction card on the driver's side visor that explains how to engage 4wd and low range?
    MrBeanley
    Glenville, New York
    2004 Tundra Double Cab 4x4

Liked
    77 times
    Images

My truck came with what looks like an auto starter - a wire and antenna around the border of the windshield with an antenna. No model number on it, and the truck came with no starter remote...suggestions?
    Maybe post a couple of pics of this.....could be a XM or Serus antenna?

Anyone ever hook up an iPod through the back of the stereo?

Thanks in advance!
    Do a search on this.....many of us have hooked up something (I have a XM radio in mine) to the stock stereo. It's pretty easy and not too exspensive.

You're welcome.
    TheGryme Do It Right, No One Remembers. Do It Wrong....No One Forgets!
    '04 Tundra DC
    Grey....V8 SR5 4X4 TRD Off Road Suspension, LSD, Towing Package, 5100's Front & Rear, Total Chaos UCAz, Cooper Discoverer AT3 265 75 16 Tires, Magnaflowed, UNIChipped, True~Flowed (w/ Secret AirBox Mods!), DeBadged, ScanGaged, XM'ed, a Few Scrapes and Dings.....Yeah!
    '12 Camry SE
    Silver with Limo Black Tinted Windows, 4 cyl. 6 Speed Auto, Black Leather Interior, De-Badged....Stock......For Now!
    '92 4Runner
    Black, V6, Downey / Rancho suspension F&R, 3 inch sus lift, 1 inch body lift, SAW T-Barz, 4:88's, ARB (rear), 32X12.50 BS Dualers on AR 8X15 Wheelz, Power Slots and Pads, Downey headers, MagnaFlo Muff, K&N FIPK, Ported heads, 1 piece stainless valves...way too much money in it!
    '04 YZ250F
    Dr.D Header and Can, JD Jetting, P38 AP, UNI Flame Proof Air Filter, No Back Fire Screen, Carbon Fiber Carb Heat Shield, Renthals, Maxxis Desert IT Tires, ASV Controls....
    '87 Nissan Pathfinder......gone but not forgotten.

Junior Member chris74to54@aol.com's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Images

Just bought a used 2002 Tundra crew cab, and I have a couple questions I thought the experts on here could help me with.

1. I have no problems shiftig into 4wd high, but when I try and push the button for Low, it just blinks at me, and then turns off. I try this from 2wd and 4wd with the same results. I have no users manual - suggestions?

2. My truck came with what looks like an auto starter - a wire and antenna around the border of the windshield with an antenna. No model number on it, and the truck came with no starter remote...suggestions?

3. Anyone ever hook up an iPod through the back of the stereo?

Thanks in advance!

e
    the ipod is easy to do. just search threads.
    not sure bout the remote start if its a viper u can prob get a new remote.
    as for the 4wd. to put in 4 hi be in drive and can be moving. once in 4 hi but in nuetral and push the 4 low. should shift right in and your good to go. can put in 4 hi up to 35 mph wouldnt recommend tho.
    06 TRD 4x4 DC Limited, IForce v8, jba headers, 5" tough country ez-ride, camburg uca with uniball, IVD coilovers, add-a-leaf, 17" moto metal rims, 35 by 12.5 toyo open coutry mt, true duals H pipe and glass packs, 3" stainless tips, uws toolback, high lift, cb with pa, 15% all the way around, gps, 5601 viper system w/ remote start, camo trd decals, EPP wax(no water spots 3-5 years)
    exhaust vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF8ag8ZbTBY

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by chris74to54@aol.com View Post
    ............. can put in 4 hi up to 35 mph wouldnt recommend tho.
    Do you mean you run it in 4WD LOW up to 35??? I thought you could run 4WD HI at any speed.

Liked
    9 times
    Images

Do you mean you run it in 4WD LOW up to 35??? I thought you could run 4WD HI at any speed.
    he meant you can press the 4hi while moving under 35 mph so you don't have to be stopped for 4hi but for 4lo you have to be stopped.

Andrew
    2012 Ford Raptor - 2008 Ford F250 - 1984 Toyota Pickup - 2008 Yamaha Raider .................................................. ................. Sold - 2005 Toyota Tundra AC LimitedNitto Terra Grapplers LT325/60/20 on 20" Rev Commando's, Bilstien 5100's on Top Notch, 3/8" Spacer, 3" Body Lift, Camburg UCA's, 1.5" Rear Blocks, Rough Country Rear Shocks, RevTek Diff Drop, Total Chaos Steering Rack Bushings, Downey HD End Links, CV Boot Mod, Unichip PnP, K&N CAI, Headers, Y-Pipe, Borla Split Side Exit Exhaust, Removed Resonator, Summit Nerf Bars, Bullett Bull Bar, KC Highlights Long Range Slim Lights, 1.25" Spidertraxx Adapters, Blacked Fender Flares, Mouldings and Badges, Herculiner Roll On Bed LinerFull LED Conversion with HIDS, Panasonic CQ-VW100U, Panasonic CA-PANSC1U, Sirius SC-C1, Infinity 6022i, Infinity 6020CU, Q-Logic QL-C1TTX208, Kicker ZX400.1, Rockford Fosgate P2D28 x2, Cobra 9540, Scanguage 2

Junior Member chris74to54@aol.com's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Images

ya sry for being unclear but i meant what hofkamp83 stated
    06 TRD 4x4 DC Limited, IForce v8, jba headers, 5" tough country ez-ride, camburg uca with uniball, IVD coilovers, add-a-leaf, 17" moto metal rims, 35 by 12.5 toyo open coutry mt, true duals H pipe and glass packs, 3" stainless tips, uws toolback, high lift, cb with pa, 15% all the way around, gps, 5601 viper system w/ remote start, camo trd decals, EPP wax(no water spots 3-5 years)
    exhaust vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF8ag8ZbTBY