Nitto Terra Grapplers Vs. BF Goodrich A/t ko. AND WHAT SIZE!!! - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nitto Terra Grapplers Vs. BF Goodrich A/t ko. AND WHAT SIZE!!!

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    641 times
    Images

Default Re: Nitto Terra Grapplers Vs. BF Goodrich A/t ko. AND WHAT SIZE!!!

Timmy-

I've driven on AT/KOs, and know many with them. They work great in snow, rain, and on ice for about two seasons, then you'll find the tread has hardened a bit, and they won't grip as well in similar conditions. That's normal for a lot of tires, and it's also the reason they wear so long...it's a hard compound.

They are the "gold standard" multi-use offroad tire. Don't expect them to be any good in mud...they aren't, and neither is any other all-terrain tire (really).

They are great in sand, not terribly noisy on pavement, balance well (if the operator is competent), and they are durable...I have folded the sidewall over on a few occasions, spun them against sharp rocks, and so forth.

Maybe someone can chime in with a similar review of the nittos.

I know a few people with Nittos, from their comments I would be equally interested in the Terra Grapplers, as long as they were as durable (3-ply sidewall, etc) as the BFGs.

Since you have a leveling kit, if you don't need a tire for winter conditions you may want to look at the 255/85/16 KM2, which can be run on a stock wheel and is slightly taller than the 285/75/16, but easier to fit as it's narrower. I know a lot of people running that size with great success, on a variety of vehicles.

JP, your alignment is likely off. It may be "in spec", but it's not correct if a 265/75/16 is running in to the back of the wheel well. Search out what DJ has to say on the subject.

-Sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers 285 /75 /16 on my 01 Tundra They rub a little on the frame but only at full lock. I've got
    about 40K on them and they are just about bald. My next tire will BFG All Terrains. Once I put my lift on. On my truck to me the rubbing is not that big of a deal.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

My speedo is off about 3.5 mph with the 285's vs the 265's that were on it when I bought my truck. I dont think that a gear change is needed for only going up about 1 " in height, although the 285 does weigh more than the 265.

265/75 16 = 31.6 10.4
    285/75 16 = 32.8 11.2

Both tires perfrom pretty closely in all types of terrain and driving conditions. The AT's lasted longer for me than the Grapplers but IMO the grapplers look better and I think they were cheaper than the AT's.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

anyone run 265/75/16s on a 16 X 8 aftermarket rim?? will it look goofy cuse wheel is one inch wider than stok?? anyone know if there is a 275/75/16 size available???

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

ok thanks for all the input guys. Cleanb13 were you getting any rubbing when you had the 285's? Also i live in los angeles so i dont ever go offroading in my tundra. Have a pre-runner in the desert for that. The tundra is driven solely on the street and highway so the bigger, all-terrain tire is 100% for looks. So it doesnt really matter which one is better in mud or snow or any of that, I just really want a tire that is going to last, and that will look great.
    Blacked out windows. Leveling kit. Flowmaster Exhaust with chrome tip. Gaylord Tonneau cover with carpet kit. Pioneer BT 90 in dash stereo/nav/ head unit, uniden CB radio, kenwood tm-271 2 meter radio,

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Get the Nittos. Had BFGs. Completely worn out at 28k. Got the Higher ply Grappler (17/32 vs 13/32). Tires have shown no wear at 16k. Imho, BFGs are over-advertised crap.
    '06 dc ltd 4x4, phantom grey pearl, 3" lift (bilsteins and aal) 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers. Firestone RideRite air bags.

Junior Member chris74to54@aol.com's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Images

Nittos are way better in mud no questions asked. they dont last at all on the road but bfg made a really good quality tire. i ran the a/t for over a year on my old truck (1500 z71) they were ok offroading but dont expect them to perform like a mud tire. if you want drive a lot on pavement and like to play in the mud or any offroading and if money isnt an issue (which would be really nice) i would look at the toyo open country m/t. they are one of the longest lasting mud tire on the market. i have em and love them do very well in everything iv put them through. fixing to turn 20k on them and still look few. i would lift as well if i money isnt a issue to
    06 TRD 4x4 DC Limited, IForce v8, jba headers, 5" tough country ez-ride, camburg uca with uniball, IVD coilovers, add-a-leaf, 17" moto metal rims, 35 by 12.5 toyo open coutry mt, true duals H pipe and glass packs, 3" stainless tips, uws toolback, high lift, cb with pa, 15% all the way around, gps, 5601 viper system w/ remote start, camo trd decals, EPP wax(no water spots 3-5 years)
    exhaust vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF8ag8ZbTBY

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Computer Tech View Post
    anyone run 265/75/16s on a 16 X 8 aftermarket rim?? will it look goofy cuse wheel is one inch wider than stok?? anyone know if there is a 275/75/16 size available???
    Here's 285/75/16 on 17x9 they don't stick out that far and don't look goofy. I only get rubbing when i hit a bump from the corner of the bumper and no rub at full lock.

Last edited by kdailey4315; 11-30-2009 at 10:20 AM.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

YOU PROBABLY MEANT 16 x 9

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

ok guys, thanks for the input. I REALLY want to move up to the 285's!!! I found a few trucks with bfg a/t 265's and they look okkkk, but i saw one with the 285's and it looked great. It actually fills the wheel well of these tundras! Some guys are saying it is a nightmere to move up, and others like t-tom are saying its not that bad. I am now only interested in eitherr the bfg or the nitto so feedback on either of those would be great. Anyone else out here running a 285 that can give a little insight? Or anyone else to talk me out of it?
    Blacked out windows. Leveling kit. Flowmaster Exhaust with chrome tip. Gaylord Tonneau cover with carpet kit. Pioneer BT 90 in dash stereo/nav/ head unit, uniden CB radio, kenwood tm-271 2 meter radio,

Liked
    101 times
    Images

I have 285/75/16's on a Daystar 2.5" lift. The only and I mean ONLY rubbing I see is when the steering wheel is turned completely to one side. Usually during super tight U-Turns. Other than that, no rubbing at all. And if you want to know where it rubs, it's on the frame.

R.I.P: 2005 SR5 DoubleCab
    2005 SR5 DC | 6.5" Custom Tuff Country Lift | 35" Hankooks On 17" KMC Revolvers | JBA Headers | Flowmaster 40 Exhaust | QTP Exhaust Cutout |
    | VIS Racing Fiberglass Hood | Fabtech Spare Tire Mount | 5% Tint w/20% Tint on Windshield | 4:56 Gears | Truetrac Detroit Locker | And Much More!

New Ride: 2009 Lexus ES350
    5% Tint & 20% Windshield | De-Badged "Lexus" & "ES 350" Emblems | 3M Gloss Black Vinyl Wrapped Roof
    Coming Soon: Tinted Tail Lights, HID Hi-Lo & Fogs, Black Emblems/Grill, Custom audio w/15" custom ported box and sub.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

nokz what kind of tires are you running? Also i dont have a lift, just a leveling kit. You think that rubbing will be more of an issue on my truck without the lift?

Liked
    2 times

No they're 17X9

Liked
    101 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy06tundra View Post
    nokz what kind of tires are you running? Also i dont have a lift, just a leveling kit. You think that rubbing will be more of an issue on my truck without the lift?
    My tires are Nitto Terra Grappler 285/74/R16. And I'm running a 2.5" Daystar lift, better known as a leveling kit. So my setup will work perfectly on yours.
    Last edited by NoKz; 12-01-2009 at 12:44 PM.
    R.I.P: 2005 SR5 DoubleCab
    2005 SR5 DC | 6.5" Custom Tuff Country Lift | 35" Hankooks On 17" KMC Revolvers | JBA Headers | Flowmaster 40 Exhaust | QTP Exhaust Cutout |
    | VIS Racing Fiberglass Hood | Fabtech Spare Tire Mount | 5% Tint w/20% Tint on Windshield | 4:56 Gears | Truetrac Detroit Locker | And Much More!

New Ride: 2009 Lexus ES350
    5% Tint & 20% Windshield | De-Badged "Lexus" & "ES 350" Emblems | 3M Gloss Black Vinyl Wrapped Roof
    Coming Soon: Tinted Tail Lights, HID Hi-Lo & Fogs, Black Emblems/Grill, Custom audio w/15" custom ported box and sub.

Liked
    2899 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdailey4315 View Post
    Here's 285/75/16 on 17x9...
    Quote Originally Posted by kdailey4315 View Post
    No they're 17X9
    You are misspeaking (or misstyping). To clarify for any reader unfamiliar with tire/wheel nomenclature: You aren't running your 285/75-16 tires on a 17X9 rim.
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 12-01-2009 at 01:45 PM.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast