Question Engine Dies when I shift into gear

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bwalkley

Thread: Engine Dies when I shift into gear

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Default Engine Dies when I shift into gear

Greetings. I have a 2001 Tundra with the 4.7L V8 and 4wd, has 83K miles. I was driving on an exit ramp and felt some slight vibrations. A couple blocks later, my pickup died while waiting to make a turn in an intersection. Here is what I know so far:
    Engine starts, idles and revs up fine in park and neutral.
    When put into Reverse or Drive, it attempts to move and engine dies. Then A/T Temp light comes on. (Light is not on when idling in N or Park.
    Check engine light is not on; I checked for codes.
    No off-road driving, pulling anything or other mishaps.
    No prior vibrations; has been running fine. Change trans. fluid and diff. oils about 3,000 miles ago, didn't see anything amiss.

So far tonight the couple people I have talked to are a bit mistified, as am I. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance,
    Bruce
    123JoseLuis likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Default Re: Engine Dies when I shift into gear

The vibrations are a possible clue here. My first guess is that the torque converter clutch is not unlocking at slow speed or when you are stopped with the transmission in gear. You may be able to disconnect the wire at the transmission for a temporary fix.
    Craig
    Missouri
    2001 Tacoma SR5 AC 4X4 TRD
    2005 Tundra SR5 AC 4X4 TRD
    http://ipics.iland.net/cnold113/main.php

Veteran Member
    Liked
    48 times
    Images

Yes, it sounds like a torque converter problem to me too.

Liked
    94 times
    Images

Did you do the tranny flush? So you just checked the fluid level immediately and it was fine?
    Rob K.

2006 DC, SR5, 4.7L, 5 speed, 4WD, LSD, Silver Sky Metallic, Keyless Entry, Tow Package
    Rackit (powder coated), Leer 100 w/Windoors, Westin wheel to wheel step bars
    Air lift Ride Control w/Quick Shot and Onboard Air, Bilstein 5100s (middle notch), Wheeler's AAL
    Powerslot cryo rotors, Hawk HD pads
    Bedrug, Slide Master bed-slide, Pop & Lock, Scangauge II, Viper 5601, MB Quart Speakers
    Toyo ATIIs 265/70/17 10 ply / Michelin LTX 265/70/17 Es
    Racor remote transmission filter, All Amsoil synthetic lubricants

Waiting to be installed:
    Eclipse Amp,
    TC steering rack bushings, TC diff drop, Downey end links, Kartec CV boots

Wish List:
    Headers, SS exhaust system, Sliders, Spidetrax
    HD front bumber (Reuenal or ARB), Mile Marker Winch

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Treat others as you would like to be treated

Liked
    26 times

Another member recently had the same problem. This might help:
    Help! ASAP! My baby died!

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

the tranny is messed up. i bet u it has big chunks of metal inside. same exact thing happened to my 02.start looking at junk yards from a tranny of an 04.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

like i said buddy my 02 limited 4 X 2 did the same thing. I was in the freeway on an off ramp and i stopped at a red light and the engine just died. the low fuel light was on and I thuought i was out of gas.... light turned green i shifted into d and it stalled. fired it up and shifted into N and shifted into d quickly and i gunned it acoss into intersection to a nearby gas station keeping my foot on the accelerator (seemed kind of reckless) . i filled it up with gas... and yup shifted into D or R or 2 and it would stall. my house was like 2 miles away. I said i aint paying for no tow truck... efeeettt i drove it like that gassing the SOB and shifted into neutral at times ..... back and forth between drive and N and the engine has plenty of power to spin the messed up tranny. I had to climb a hill like 1/4 mile. once again efeetttt i guneed it and up i go through the hill haulinggg azzzazazazzazaza. anyways my 02 limited truck has a tranny from an 04. and it drives and shifts like new... I hope the 04 trannys are better than the 02 trannys.... 600 buks at local junk yard and paid a friend mechanic of mine like 150 to install it for me while we helpeed him..... help me.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Greetings again. Thank you all for your comments. I went to a mechanic; it turns out the Transmission fluid was low and had gotten too hot. That led to the soleniod that works with the torque converter clutch to lock up, thus killing the engine. He said he freed it by reving the engine in Neutral up to 5-6K, that shook it loose enough. Then he did a flush and put Dexron VI in, saying he has had good luck with that fluid in his and other vehicles. So, I will watch the fluid level a little more closely.
    Thanks, Bruce