2002 misfires p0300

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 2002 misfires p0300

Liked
    0 times

Default 2002 misfires p0300

I have a 2002 tundra 4.7 with 113,000 miles. Has been running perfect. now i get missfires after the engine warms up sometimes. Ran premium gas with lots of dry gas thinking it was fuel. but no change. if it was a coil wouldnt it keep on misfireing all the time? Coded are p0300,p0301,p0303,p0304. radom missfire condition. Also might seem weird but i am getting a groaning sound also. Kinda sounds like a wheel bearing going bad. I read that someone else had this problem so i figured i post that too. It almost seems now that i think of it i started having all these problems after I changed my fuel filter. Might change again. gonna put new plugs in today. Any suggetions would be great.
    Cheatah

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2774 times
    Images

Default Re: 2002 misfires p0300

The fact that it the misfirings are moving around leads me to believe you can rule out individual coil packs. What stands out to me is your statement that this started to happen immediately after replacing your fuel filter. If you have a bad filter and/or a filter that is not appropriate for the fuel pressure requirements, you can have these issues. So, a couple of questions:

1. What brand/model filter did you install? Aftermarket? Toyota OEM?
    2. Are you positive you installed it in the correct direction of flow?
    3. What spark plugs are in there now, and what are you going to replace them with?
    4. Do you notice this issue correlating with specific fuel tank levels?

Then I'd suggest doing the following:

1. Check all vacuum hose connections
    2. Inspect PCV for range of motion (shake it... if it rattles it's probably OK. Just blast it with brake cleaner, let dry and reinstall)
    3. Inspect all ignition harness connections
    4. Clean the MAF
    5. Add some Sta-Bil (http://images.westmarine.com/full/518712.jpg) to your fuel system to address possible moisture contamination.

If all seems OK with the above, you'll have to dig deeper:

6. Pull each spark plug and inspect for residue, discoloration, and gap. Make note of location of each one.
    7. Have your fuel system pressure tested

These issues can be an easy fix (fuel filter, bad spark plugs), or they can be expensive bears (leaking valve gasket and seals, burnt up coils).

Post up your results and we can go from there. Good luck.
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 12-23-2009 at 11:07 PM.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    0 times

heres some answers to some of your questions. 1. The fuel filter was one I bought at advance. looked cheap but i figured it was better than the one that was on there. Looked like the original filter still on there. Im positive it was install the correct way. I am going to put Ngk platium plugs. Iridium plugs are to pricey for me. One thing about the fuel level was that when the engine was running like crap the fuel gauge went all the way down PAST the empty mark on the guage. there was 3/4 of a tank of gas. Then a minute later it went back up. weird. truck ran great today. What the heck.
    Last edited by cheatah1971; 12-23-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    372 times
    Images

i had the mystery fuel gauge gremlin happen 100 miles south of the border once. after stopping to look for a leak i got in and it registered right. never a problem since.

it's probably not related to the rest of your problems....
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cheatah1971 View Post
    One thing about the fuel level was that when the engine was running like crap the fuel gauge went all the way down PAST the empty mark on the guage. there was 3/4 of a tank of gas. Then a minute later it went back up. weird. truck ran great today. What the heck.
    I was going to direct you to 2003bajatundra4x4 but he beat me to it regarding your fuel gauge problem because i knew that he had the same problem.
    the firing order on the 4.7 v8 is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, with the codes that you posted 1-3-4 are missfiring so i don't think that it will be your spark plugs but it won't hurt to replace them anyways, how many miles do you have on the truck? check for bad grounds and fuel pressure.
    good luck