Leer shell ( third brake light )

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Leer shell ( third brake light )

Liked
    0 times

Default Leer shell ( third brake light )

Not sure if this is the right topic area but..... I have a Leer cap on my 03 Tundra with the third (led)brake light bar not working. Is there any web sites out there that have replacements that don't cost an arm and a leg. Went to the Leer outlet is asking $79.00 seems pricey to me. This is the two sided tape recessed mount light bar. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

jmo
    Liked
    5 times

Default Re: Leer shell ( third brake light )

Did you check the connection to make sure its wired up correctly still? If it was working before it might just be a loose connection.
    2006 Tundra DC, 20" EVO Velociti Wheels, Limited, TRD
    2001 Tundra AccessCab, Limited, TRD
    1993 Toyota Pick Up, Extended Cab

Liked
    94 times
    Images

That does seem pricey. Is it the newer one that has LEDs inside or does it have standard bulbs? Seems like if it has bulbs you should be able to replace them. And if it has LEDs those should last indefinitely.

Maybe a silly question but have you check all wiring connections to make sure something did not get loose or a wire pop out of the solder-less connector? I have seen that more times than I like to admit.

I would also check with a Leer distributer to see if they have suggestions on bulb or complete unit replacement. EDIT. Just reread your OP you went to a Leer Distributer and they want you to purchase the entire unit?
    Last edited by Dinosaur; 01-01-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Misread
    Rob K.

2006 DC, SR5, 4.7L, 5 speed, 4WD, LSD, Silver Sky Metallic, Keyless Entry, Tow Package
    Rackit (powder coated), Leer 100 w/Windoors, Westin wheel to wheel step bars
    Air lift Ride Control w/Quick Shot and Onboard Air, Bilstein 5100s (middle notch), Wheeler's AAL
    Powerslot cryo rotors, Hawk HD pads
    Bedrug, Slide Master bed-slide, Pop & Lock, Scangauge II, Viper 5601, MB Quart Speakers
    Toyo ATIIs 265/70/17 10 ply / Michelin LTX 265/70/17 Es
    Racor remote transmission filter, All Amsoil synthetic lubricants

Waiting to be installed:
    Eclipse Amp,
    TC steering rack bushings, TC diff drop, Downey end links, Kartec CV boots

Wish List:
    Headers, SS exhaust system, Sliders, Spidetrax
    HD front bumber (Reuenal or ARB), Mile Marker Winch

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Treat others as you would like to be treated

Liked
    9 times
    Images

i would look at v-leds.com and get like there strip led's for starting 5 dollars for the 6 in. i put a couple 6 inch strips in the cab down in the foot wells and like them a lot. they come with double sided tape, for about 70 dollars cheaper i think you can make them work.

Andrew
    2012 Ford Raptor - 2008 Ford F250 - 1984 Toyota Pickup - 2008 Yamaha Raider .................................................. ................. Sold - 2005 Toyota Tundra AC LimitedNitto Terra Grapplers LT325/60/20 on 20" Rev Commando's, Bilstien 5100's on Top Notch, 3/8" Spacer, 3" Body Lift, Camburg UCA's, 1.5" Rear Blocks, Rough Country Rear Shocks, RevTek Diff Drop, Total Chaos Steering Rack Bushings, Downey HD End Links, CV Boot Mod, Unichip PnP, K&N CAI, Headers, Y-Pipe, Borla Split Side Exit Exhaust, Removed Resonator, Summit Nerf Bars, Bullett Bull Bar, KC Highlights Long Range Slim Lights, 1.25" Spidertraxx Adapters, Blacked Fender Flares, Mouldings and Badges, Herculiner Roll On Bed LinerFull LED Conversion with HIDS, Panasonic CQ-VW100U, Panasonic CA-PANSC1U, Sirius SC-C1, Infinity 6022i, Infinity 6020CU, Q-Logic QL-C1TTX208, Kicker ZX400.1, Rockford Fosgate P2D28 x2, Cobra 9540, Scanguage 2

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    372 times
    Images

my snugtop has the same issue on the same 03. i took it to a friend twice to hook it up. he said it kept loosing the ground at the brake light where he hooked it up. it is still out. not worth the hassle anymore...
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Liked
    0 times

I forgot to say that the braking bar has 24 led lights, the first eight lite, than the next eight are out, but the next eight lite, so I think that the wireing works it's an enclosed system can't change the bulbs.

Liked
    94 times
    Images

That seems really lame that LEDs would fail in just a few years... Is there any way at all to open that thing up? I would be looking into that and as was suggested, changing out the LEDs. If it is just not possible maybe look into making your own...
    Rob K.

2006 DC, SR5, 4.7L, 5 speed, 4WD, LSD, Silver Sky Metallic, Keyless Entry, Tow Package
    Air lift Ride Control w/Quick Shot and Onboard Air, Bilstein 5100s (middle notch), Wheeler's AAL
    Bedrug, Slide Master bed-slide, Pop & Lock, Scangauge II, Viper 5601, MB Quart Speakers

Waiting to be installed:
    Eclipse Amp,

Wish List:

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hello,
    What did you do to correct this issue?
    I have the same problem with my Leer cap on my 03 Access Cab.
    The reason I found out about it, is I failed inspection.
    As was mentioned before, first 8 lights are one, 2nd 8 are out, 3rd 8 are on....
    thanks.

Liked
    0 times

I saw a guy that bought the cheapest brake light you can find on the autoparts store and mounted it on top of the old one and it worked.

Liked
    94 times
    Images

It seems like there should be a "recall" or some type of fix from Leer on those LED lights. They are supposed to last, isn't that the point!
    Rob K.

Waiting to be installed:
    Eclipse Amp,

Wish List:

Liked
    204 times

My dad had this issue with his 07 tundra. The problem was where the cap lights were wired to the brake lights- the copper was completely corroded away. Snip, strip and tape and it was all working again.

Liked
    0 times

My Raider cap is the same. When I took it apart the board that holds the LEDs is rusted. Of the 32 LEDs there were 9 laying in the light rusted off. I'm trying to retro fit a strip of LEDs in their place. Raider was no help when I contacted them.
    2005 Tundra DC 4x4 Limited

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

My Leer 100 3rd brake light is completely out. I'll try taking it appart of it's not molded.

Liked
    185 times

Quote Originally Posted by mdhess View Post
    I forgot to say that the braking bar has 24 led lights, the first eight lite, than the next eight are out, but the next eight lite, so I think that the wireing works it's an enclosed system can't change the bulbs.
    Not the bulbs. You have a wiring problem in the light. It is not really sealed if moisture caused your failure.

I'd advertise for the light. someone whose cap got trashed might have one. You could get some side marker lights and remove the original.
    Check with your state, not all states require the light to work, as long as the tails work

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-20-2013, 07:38 AM
  2. 01-03-2013, 04:59 PM
  3. 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM