Bilstein 5100 top plate bushing.

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 2003bajatundra4x4ac

Thread: Bilstein 5100 top plate bushing.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Bilstein 5100 top plate bushing.

So I've searched high and low on this forum but still couldn't find the answer to my question. I am installing new shocks on my 2003 AC 4WD and decided to go with 5100's, new factory springs and top plate. The shocks came with two washers and two bushings each. The top plate has the bottom bushings built into it. Are you guys replacing the bottom bushing or reusing the factory? Mine are already assembled and ready to put on using the new factory top plate and bottom bushing. Do you think this OK or do I need to take these apart to install the bilstein bottom bushing. I know the Bilstein 5100 topic has been beaten to death but I couldn't find an answer with the search tool.

thanks

mb

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lurking Member
    Liked
    9 times

Default Re: Bilstein 5100 top plate bushing.

I wish someone would have answered this. I am facing the same issue:/

Liked
    707 times
    Images

OME/Bilstein strut mount/isolator question See post #12.

I havent driven the truck since I did the install, so I cant say whether its made any difference yet. But it was easy enough to do. Just be careful pressing out the factory bushing, so you dont ding the hole in the plate.

I am kinda glad I used the Bilstein bushing, now after having the struts assembled. With the OME springs, the bushings are WAAAYYY squished. I feel better having the Bils bushing in instead of the aftermarket (Moog) bushing, as the Bils has WAAYY more "meat" to it.

I'll try to get pics of it....I guess I shoulda took pics before getting the struts installed...
    Last edited by Stone_Blue; 12-01-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    527 times
    Images

plus, aren't the Billy bushings BRAND NEW as opposed to 10 years old now?
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Liked
    707 times
    Images

Yeah, definately should swap the bushings if you are reusing your old mounting plates. I was using brand new Moog plates with new installed bushings...My thing was, that even new, I didnt like the design of the Moog bushing, and felt better doing the swap.

mbriddle, can you take pics of the bushing in the plate?....What brand is the plate/bushing?...OEM Toyota, or aftermarket?...I used the Moog plate/bushings....Others have used the KYB plate/bushings... I'm wondering if the Moog bushing like what I replaced is a standard design for that bushing, or if it is Moogs own take on what to use for that application.

EDIT: OOpps just realised the original post is QUITE old...lmao...Well, mbriddle, if you're still around please chime in...lol
    Last edited by Stone_Blue; 12-01-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    9 times

I just posted a new thread about this guys, I didn't know anyone responded to this one.... I didn't know if they would since it was so old. Could you please look at my new thread and tell me what you think? It's entitled "Bilstein 5100 bump stop order."

Thanks guys, I'm kinda in a desparate situation at the moment. haha

Will

Liked
    707 times
    Images

Maybe a little work, but just edit your 1st post on THIS thread, by copy & pasting your post from the other thread, then reply to your new thread, that you would like a moderator to delete the thread, as its basically a duplicate of this one....Helps keep the archive less cluttered, future searches for this issue more concise, and pertinent replies in less threads.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    9 times

Quote Originally Posted by Stone_Blue View Post
    Maybe a little work, but just edit your 1st post on THIS thread, by copy & pasting your post from the other thread, then reply to your new thread, that you would like a moderator to delete the thread, as its basically a duplicate of this one....Helps keep the archive less cluttered, future searches for this issue more concise, and pertinent replies in less threads.

Thanks Stone_Blue,

My question is similar but there are some differences.. I went ahead and copied and pasted though. So Here it is.....

Well guys, I am new to the site. And I have searched for the answer to my question for two days now.... Nobody has the answer and Bilsteins customer support is closed.....

So here goes, I am in the process of installing my 5100 adjustables on my 2000 2wd Access cab.... Well... As you all already know, the instructions are terrible... I moved the ring up to the top notch. (gonna add a 1" block in the back to level.) That part was easy, but the instructions are kinda confusing with how the bumbstops are supposed to be put on the new shocks. The old stock ones have (from the bottom) A washer, Bumpstop, mounting plate, bumpstop, last washer, and finally the nut. Well Instructions look like they are telling you to put the two bumpstops together sandwhiched between the washers underneath the mounting plate... So I installed the new ones like the instructions led me to believe..... But then I realized there is no washer up top!!! this worried me a little..... So I felt like I installed them incorrectly and maybe they were supposed to be installed the way the old ones were. So I did the second one this way.... It feels really tight!!!!! I had to compress the spring quite a bit more to do this way... But I understand the tighter spring may just be from the leveling...

I really need your help on this guys... Which order should the bumpstops go ont??? I was really hoping to get this done today....

Thanks,

Will

Liked
    29 times