Krylon "Rust Tough enamel", just put it on . . .

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Krylon "Rust Tough enamel", just put it on . . .

Veteran Member
    Liked
    109 times

Default Krylon "Rust Tough enamel", just put it on . . .

. . . I spent a few minutes emptying a can of the Krylon "Rust Tough Enamel" all over my frame, axle, springs, hitch, upper and lower front end arms, pretty much everywhere I could see from crawling around the truck that had the rust-cancer on it.

It looks good for now and it will be a miracle if this newfangled spray paint really works in at least slowing down the rust.

I'll have to snap some pics and post them up as it does look good underneath again, nice and shiny black.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1681 times
    Images

Default Re: Krylon "Rust Tough enamel", just put it on . . .

how did you prep it?
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

I woulda sprayed with rust reformer (goes by a few different names) first. It converts any surface rust to a paint-able primer. Rustoleum makes it.

Liked
    6 times
    Images

The key to a successful paint job (along with satisfying your girl ) is preparation.

The area to be painted must be totally ready before any painting action begins.

It takes scrubbing, sanding, cleaning with solvent, power washing ...etc

Then, and only then, you should be using a rust ready primer, then a coat or two of paint.

If prep. is not quite complete, be ready for disappointment.
    Enjoying the awesome 5.7 L engine

TRD rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, Heated Seats, Westin Bull Bar and Skid Plate, HELLA driving Lights, Chrome handles and mirrors,

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted27606 View Post
    The key to a successful paint job (along with satisfying your girl ) is preparation.

The area to be painted must be totally ready before any painting action begins.

It takes scrubbing, sanding, cleaning with solvent, power washing ...etc

Then, and only then, you should be using a rust ready primer, then a coat or two of paint.

If prep. is not quite complete, be ready for disappointment.
    I beg to differ, I just washed the slight mud off my undercarriage of my truck and let it dry, then just coated it once then again a week later. 2 years later only 1 small spot. Used rustoleum rust reformer and rustoleum satin black.

Then again not like the frame was super dirty to begin with, or maybe im lucky.

Liked
    1926 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CJM_T100 View Post
    I beg to differ, I just washed the slight mud off my undercarriage of my truck and let it dry, then just coated it once then again a week later. 2 years later only 1 small spot. Used rustoleum rust reformer and rustoleum satin black.

Then again not like the frame was super dirty to begin with, or maybe im lucky.
    Not trying to contradict you but I would be worried about what is going on under that paint. I spent years as a machinist and have to agree with Boosted27606 in that absent some ridiculously anal preparation prior to painting there will be more rust - just less noticeable until it rears its ugly cancerous head like a girl leaping out of a cake at the bachelor party.
    Last edited by Highwaylizard; 04-05-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Spelling DUH!!!
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    264,521 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Scangauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, True Flow Intake with Amsoil drop-in dry filter, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

You missed the part where I said I painted with rustoleum rust reformer. This paint turns rust into black primer chemically.

I wouldnt have believed it myself had I not painted some metal patio chairs with decent surface rust about 5 years back and they do sit outside all year. One coat of the reformer and 2 coats of stain black and not a speck of rust on them.

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1524 times

An undercarriage on a roadgoing vehicle will have a tougher life than chairs sitting on a patio. Constant bombardment with road debris will make short work of anything from a rattle can (i.e. not catalysed paint, without hardener).
    Attention environmentalists, reduce emissions from this:

Liked
    15 times
    Images

Well there are no miracles yet, not in the can anyway. For real deal get that wire brush or +3000psi power washer and blast the f*** off the rust and dirt. Gonna tackle that this summer. Read instructions on the can - i bet it says "best results when rust is removed mechanically, then painted"
    Its just basics. There are no miracles and no magic paint. It can only do so much. It will keep rusting underneath and will take years to brake trough the film of paint while eating metal underneath that shiny coat of paint or whatever (ruberized spray or whatever other coating) Just talk to those people who work with steel all their life. They will let you in on some "secrets"
    Thank you Middletown Toyota in Middletown, CT for painless and quick frame replacement, and awesome customer service.

New mods: Air Lift air spring kit + onboard compressor.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Creosote View Post
    An undercarriage on a roadgoing vehicle will have a tougher life than chairs sitting on a patio. Constant bombardment with road debris will make short work of anything from a rattle can (i.e. not catalysed paint, without hardener).
    Did you miss the part where I said its on the underside of my truck for 2 years with only 1 rust spot?

Veteran Member
    Liked
    109 times

My truck has now been relegated to winter-beater/snowmobile carrier/tower and boat hauler.

I'll bet my 2004 frame here in MA looks better than any other 2004 as I have been rinsing my undercarriage after every snow event, every single one, not a few days or a few weeks later, after every event once the roads dry.

I had sprayed whatever spray paint I had in the garage before and it lasted a while. The Krylon stuff is supposed to not need anything, just spray it on.

Something has to be better than nothing but I do know that nothing is forever and que-sera-sera, whatever will be will be. My hitch looks much better too, heck, everything is looking pissah.

Liked
    1994 times
    Images

I used the stuff CJM is talking about once, not on my Tundra. It turned a rusty spot into a weird rough surface, very primer like. I sanded lightly first, but got lazy real fast and just sprayed. It was fine for a little over a year, still might be. I don't have that truck anymore. It causes a chemical reaction that I don't quite understand to turn the iron-oxide into a mutated metallic substance, that way the rust stops spreading. Of course, I imagine if the rust is more than surface rust, it could always come back since that spray can only penetrate so far.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Liked
    16 times
    Images

Thats good that you guys found some remedies, but damn I'm pissed that my tundra brothers have to go through this in the east coast! Weak!

But I'm just glad you guys are thinking on your feet and getting it done on your own!

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    19 times

hi, whatever work's, or if you have a little peice of mind. who care's.
    you just can not let it to continue.
    so whatever you do, is better than nothing.
    i personally would sand it or, metal brush it 1st.
    but i know rust is very bad. & no matter what will continue in time.
    yes it is like cancer, 99% of the time, it will come back, but if you slow it down,
    it's better than nothing.
    i'm sure we all have seen that poor guy's frame.
    good god, it look's like it's ready to brake off.
    he can't do anything.
    i wonder what toyota would say if you touched it.
    & than they do a recall, you might be out of luck.
    anytime, you touch the tundra, you usually have issue's,
    with the dealership. it always becomes a fight.
    what is & isn't allowed.
    i know already i have no warrenty.
    but i belive it's 5 years or 60,000 miles
    well i'll hit 5years in augest.
    i'll hit 60,000 miles in 7 or 8 years.

i always thought undercoating was our best option.
    not paint. since we run over alot of stuff, that would chip paint,
    alot easyier than rubberized undercoating, which would be alot harder to chip.
    but what do i know,
    just good luck, i hope it help's whatever anyone does.
    it's better than letting it continue.
    gorilla
    Last edited by GORILLA; 04-06-2010 at 04:18 AM.

Liked
    0 times

I use a rust binder product from Permatex (got it atNAPA) after power washing the frame. Then I spray undercoating on top of that. So far NO RUST after 7 years and over 170K miles. I do this every year.
    bug deflector/side fender turn signal/went shades/back rack/tool box/rear strip light/nerf bars/top light bar/front alternating flashers/rear strobes in turn & stop lights/bedmatt & linert/all badges removed/Helwig sway bar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast