O2 Sensor -- OEM or Aftermarket? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O2 Sensor -- OEM or Aftermarket?

Liked
    32 times
    Images

Default Re: O2 Sensor -- OEM of Aftermarket?

So, if Denso's are so good why have mine failed twice? I have 44k on my truck! I am on my third set of 02's made by Denso next set I guarantee you won't be Denso's. Why does Toyota have a zillion problems through out the lineup with Denso sensors? I'm not advocating Bosch - either.
    But before anyone jumps on Bosch I replaced my two Celicas with Bosch 02's , not one issue. Two different yr cars too. 94-92. I'd say a good 150 k more mileage on both cars after the sensors swaps.

I'm not sure we can cast a wide net on any sensors for this truck seeing they all seem to fail in some trucks early.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Obama lies ~ the economy dies H2O_MAN's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times

Quote Originally Posted by Tundradrenalin View Post
    The price difference is negligible and there are no performance gains in using aftermarket sensors.
    The choice is obvious in my opinion, and when the time comes I'll be using direct replacement OEM sensors.
    +1

2002 REGULAR CAB - LONG BED - 4WD - V8 - SR5

Liked
    2076 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tundrasooner22 View Post
    I put two Bosch o2 sensors in my 02 Tundra and after a few days the check engine light went off. Everything has been good so far with them (knock on wood)...
    Wow. You will have a CEL within 500 miles. I did the same thing and could not figure out why my CEL kept coming on. Finally someone on this site (the quote directly below) set me right. Have had Denso in the truck for 70,000+ trouble free miles in the 02 department.

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    Folks, the operating voltage parameters of the Bosch sensors are not aligned with the Toyota ECU. Even though you might have some time period where the data remains with the voltage specs, you will start to have CELs thrown when the units report back numbers outside ECU-acceptable ranges, and it can happen at any time.

Do yourself a favor and save yourself time and $$$ by listening to the advice of members when they adamantly notify you that Bosch components are not meant for our vehicles.
    Absolutely correct Remmy. Bosch does not play well with our trucks.

Yes, after a few days. Did not disconnect the battery because I have read that it is better for the CPU that it resets itself. Said it would take 5 to 7 drives or so and it did reset on its own.
    Disconnecting the battery is what is known as a "hard reset" and it resets the ECU back to factory (or baseline) parameters. The ECU relearns your driving style faster this way. I typically do a hard reset after any major change (new 02's, new intake, new exhaust, new engine modification, etc. . .) as well as when the weather changes from winter to non-winter. When I disconnect the battery I write down my trip odometer as well as my radio presets and leave the battery disconnected for a few hours.

Why did I put Bosch's on? Because that is what the auto part store carried. I hadn't been a member of this site that long and hadn't seen people having issues with Bosch's before I bought them and put them on.
    So far they have worked. I'm hoping that I don't have any problems with them.
    Hey we all make mistakes or buy the wrong part becuase we cannot find the right one. As I said above you will have problems. Best to take them out now and take them back. Tell Auto store that they sold you incorrect part as Bosch cannot be used in Toyota. If they refuse go to dealer and get a statement from them. Only Denso or NGK will work in your truck.

Quote Originally Posted by kaosv1 View Post
    So, if Denso's are so good why have mine failed twice? I have 44k on my truck! I am on my third set of 02's made by Denso next set I guarantee you won't be Denso's.
    Not sure why your 02 sensors have failed prematurely but it would be my guess that there is something else going on there contributing to their failure. It would be pretty slim odds that you managed to get faulty sensors twice in a row. Remmy is the 02 go to guy here on the Forum and he may be able to help you with that. Odds are if he does not know he can at least point you in the right direction.

Why does Toyota have a zillion problems through out the lineup with Denso sensors?
    That seems to be a pretty broad sweeping condemnation. I realize you are frustrated and maybe that is clouding your reasoning but seriously - I have never heard of a first generation truck owner having problems with Denso sensors, ever. I have had my Densos for 70,000+ trouble free miles.

I'm not advocating Bosch - either. But before anyone jumps on Bosch I replaced my two Celicas with Bosch 02's , not one issue. Two different yr cars too. 94-92. I'd say a good 150 k more mileage on both cars after the sensors swaps.

I'm not sure we can cast a wide net on any sensors for this truck seeing they all seem to fail in some trucks early.
    Maybe back in the 90's Bosch was okay in some Toyota vehicles but Bosch sure doesn't work in our trucks now. Again, I think there is some other factor contributing to the early demise of your 02 sensors.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    272,449 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    32 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
    Wow. You will have a CEL within 500 miles. I did the same thing and could not figure out why my CEL kept coming on. Finally someone on this site (the quote directly below) set me right. Have had Denso in the truck for 70,000+ trouble free miles in the 02 department.

Absolutely correct Remmy. Bosch does not play well with our trucks.

Disconnecting the battery is what is known as a "hard reset" and it resets the ECU back to factory (or baseline) parameters. The ECU relearns your driving style faster this way. I typically do a hard reset after any major change (new 02's, new intake, new exhaust, new engine modification, etc. . .) as well as when the weather changes from winter to non-winter. When I disconnect the battery I write down my trip odometer as well as my radio presets and leave the battery disconnected for a few hours.

Hey we all make mistakes or buy the wrong part becuase we cannot find the right one. As I said above you will have problems. Best to take them out now and take them back. Tell Auto store that they sold you incorrect part as Bosch cannot be used in Toyota. If they refuse go to dealer and get a statement from them. Only Denso or NGK will work in your truck.

Not sure why your 02 sensors have failed prematurely but it would be my guess that there is something else going on there contributing to their failure. It would be pretty slim odds that you managed to get faulty sensors twice in a row. Remmy is the 02 go to guy here on the Forum and he may be able to help you with that. Odds are if he does not know he can at least point you in the right direction.

That seems to be a pretty broad sweeping condemnation. I realize you are frustrated and maybe that is clouding your reasoning but seriously - I have never heard of a first generation truck owner having problems with Denso sensors, ever. I have had my Densos for 70,000+ trouble free miles.

Maybe back in the 90's Bosch was okay in some Toyota vehicles but Bosch sure doesn't work in our trucks now. Again, I think there is some other factor contributing to the early demise of your 02 sensors.
    My truck runs GREAT! Never any codes except the 02 codes. 44k miles. My friends 01 has the same issues two sets of 02 sensors same deal but he has more mileage. (68k) I'm NOT advocating Bosch sensors.
    I AM saying Denso OEM sensors aren't all that either. I can only go by my experiences which are many.
    My cousin owns a dealership. I asked the mechanic that pulled the codes he is a ASE master Toyota mechanic he said he has no idea why and he also said this isn't the first truck that has the same issues.
    They also dropped a 7/100k warranty on them for a GOOD reason. They are in the books as a problem, sorry maybe you never had issues , but loads of people are or have .Hence the extended warranty.
    Why extend it if there are no issues. Try all data pull up 02 sensors...and you might find I'm not alone. (facts)

"There was not a recall or TSB issued on this. Toyota issued a " Warranty Enhancement Notice" applicable to 2000 Through Mid-2002 Model Year Toyota Tundra V8 (2UZ-FE Engine). Owner's were notified by letter.

"In recent months, Toyota has received reports of custome concerns regarding the two oxygen sensors located in the exhuast manifolds that monitor exhaust emissions. These oxygen sensors are installed ahead of the catalytic converter and are also known as the Number 1 Oxygen Sensors. To minimize these concers, Toyota will extend the warranty of these oxygen sensors for illumination of Malfunction Indicator Lamp (check engine light) related to any of the following diagnostic codes (as diagnosed by your local Toyota Dealer): PO135 and P0155.

If your check engine light illuminates, please bring your vehicle into your local Toyota dealer for diagnosis and repair. Please note that a check engine light can illuminate for unrelated to the Number 1 Oxygen Sensors.

This warranty extension is offered for a total period of 7 years or 90,000 miles from the vehicle's in-service date, whichever occurs first, for the failure of eiher of the Number 1 Oxygen Sensors. The specific components covered by this warranty extension are:
    - Number 1 Oxygen Sensor, Bank 1 (left side exhaust manifold)
    - Number 1 Oxygen Sensor, Bank 2 (right side exhaust manifold)
    This offer is limited to your specfic Tundra whose VIN is provided and is subject to the same conditions set forth in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty section of your Owner's Warranty Information booklet*, with the exception of the extended warranty coverage on the oxygen sensors listed above. Please note that this coverage is for warranty work performed at an authorized Toyota dealer only"

They don't just slap warranty extensions on perfectly good emissions parts.

Liked
    0 times

FYI: Oxygen sensor sockets are available for under $5 at Harbor Freight if needed for your repair. They sell two types of oxygen sensor sockets (cut-away slot and offset) and are of decent quality which is a bit unusual from HF and about a third less than anywhere else.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_3138.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	54259

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_3776.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	54260
    05 SR5 AC: Toyota Liner,Westin Black Platinum SS step bar,Go Rhino grill guard,Stant Lock,WheelSkins,Drawtite hitch,Ultra Rogue,McGard

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I need to replace my O2 sensors! Am I hearing guys right? Denso is the way to go!

Liked
    0 times
    Images

My Denso's died on me at 97K. Installed a set of BOSH ones wasn't thinking at the time. Got only 50K on them. CEL is on right now and its 162K. Also I'm thinking the catalytic converters aftermarket are bad on my truck too.

Go DENSO O2 sensors.
    2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4x4 Black
    Cardomain Member
    Sold the Tundra for $5,000 without the wheels 12/10/2011

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

All, I successfully replaced both front sensor on my 01 tundra v8... Got Denso sensors from AMAZON... BEST DEAL YOU EVER FIND.... Dealer wanted $350 for BANK 2 SENSOR 1..... I told he service manager, thanks but no thanks!

SAVE YOUR MONEY, DO-IT-YOURSELF

Liked
    25 times

I have been reading about Bosch vs Denso for months. I bought a set of Bosch a year ago when my check engine light came on.
    It was not the sensor. It was the transmission which I got fixed. It is too late to send the Bosch back. I called the tech people at Bosch with information about this site and they said that they have not had any problems with there sensors. They also said that the specific sensor for the my 05 Tundra are set to OEM specs. Bosch should be reading this site so they can fix their product.
    I plan to use them when I need too since I am stuck with them. If they don't work, I will go with Denso.
    I have read that the universal Bosch and early 2000s are a problem. Has anybody specified what year and whether it is universal or oem spec Bosch sensors that failed and what years worked and didn't work. Do they all stink! I guess I will find out. I have 93,000 miles on my 05 and just did my t-belt and water pump.

Liked
    3 times

Bosch didn't work with my 03', had to remove it an go with a denso, no problems since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12