Coolant Flush

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Coolant Flush

jjc
    Liked
    11 times
    Images

Default Coolant Flush

Isn't always what it's cracked up to be. I was considering having a local "reputable" Toyota dealership do a "flush" on my '01 Tundra just to make sure everything was clean after replacing my timing belt and water pump. So I call them today and asked them what water they use to mix with the red coolant in their pump equipment..........and the tech's answer was "just tap water" .......

So needless to say, I'll just go grab a few more jugs of distilled water and do the same d*mn flush I did the first time by draining the radiator and block.

The "other reputable shop" I called said "sure we do flushes"......so I asked them if they use a pump package to perform this.....his answer was "not really, we drain the radiator and refill it"........I'm saying WTF?!!! at this point.

How's that old saying go.....if you want something done right.......?
    '03 Tacoma / '12 FJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2163 times
    Images

Default Re: Coolant Flush

Did you specify a backflush of the block and radiator or just a "flush?" Simetimes you have to get very specific with these guys.

Even so, the tap water answer would turn me away too.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    2917 times
    Images

Just goes to show you how the quality of even the most basic vehicle service has gone downhill, even at the "respectable" dealer service centers. People are getting screwed royally every day at dealers...
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    363 times
    Images

That's strange that they wouldn't use the Toyota pink SLL coolant being that it's pre-mixed and is oddly more expensive than the Toyota red LL coolant. After my efan install, I kept the coolant I drained and used that to refill the reservoir. I put new SLL in the rad.
    New to the forum? CLICK HERE!
    Questions about advertising? CLICK HERE!

Know the facts about Warranties and the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Link to Amsoil -->

Be an organ & tissue donor, register at DonateLife

Liked
    3 times

Yeah that is why I do my own too. It is simple enough and I can control what gets put into the system. And at 99cents for a gallon of DI water.....it's not a hard choice!
    David~2001 Toyota Tundra 4X4 TRD SR5~SSautochrome headers~Single 2.5" exhaust w/ Flowmaster 50 series delta flow muffler~K&N FIPK intake system w/True-flow filter~ASP underdrive pulley~Custom tuned Unichip (thank you Johan)~Powertrax No-slip~Bilstein 5100 front and rear w/ Deaver 10 pack~Diff breather mod~255/85 BFG M/T on Wheelers Black Steelies Type B~Custom Rocksliders~Skid Row front skid plate~Custom Transfer case skid plate

jjc
    Liked
    11 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tundradrenalin View Post
    That's strange that they wouldn't use the Toyota pink SLL coolant being that it's pre-mixed and is oddly more expensive than the Toyota red LL coolant. After my efan install, I kept the coolant I drained and used that to refill the reservoir. I put new SLL in the rad.
    I asked them about using the pink and two of the techs were adamantly against it, saying it had Water Wetter in it and that it's notorious for leaking out of any tiny spot it can find .

I'm kind of surprised that Toyota would mix in Water Wetter, I used to run it in my dirt bikes and there was always a lot of controversy about corrosion and what not. It did make them run a little cooler though.......and it was pink......

Amazon.com: Red Line Water Wetter - 12 Ounce, Pack of 12: Automotive
    '03 Tacoma / '12 FJ

jjc
    Liked
    11 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
    Did you specify a backflush of the block and radiator or just a "flush?" Simetimes you have to get very specific with these guys.

Even so, the tap water answer would turn me away too.
    I just told them I was looking for a powered flush and they said that they have a machine with a pump that circulates fluid through the entire system to remove any scaling, corrosion, etc........
    '03 Tacoma / '12 FJ

jjc
    Liked
    11 times
    Images

I went ahead and mixed up some new distilled water and red coolant yesterday (50/50), drained the radiator and block completely, and refilled.
    '03 Tacoma / '12 FJ

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

Been flushing my coolant for years with and using tap water, no issues so far.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    3 times

Draining both sides of the block is definately a good idea. I didn't measure, but there's a lot of old coolant in there.
    Any fool can fix it right with lots of money.
    The cool thing to do is fix it right with the least amount of money.

Liked
    264 times
    Images

Where's the drain for the engine block?

When I flushed my system, I had gallons and gallons of distilled water. Drained the rad and filled with DW. Did this until the water was clear then, drained and fill with 50/50 mixture. That reminds me, I need to flush my system out as well before the summer time heat arrives....

BTW, I did bottle the fluid I drained and took it to the local hazardous waste site for proper disposal.

Liked
    363 times
    Images

Yea there is. It's about 13.5 qts.
    New to the forum? CLICK HERE!
    Questions about advertising? CLICK HERE!

Know the facts about Warranties and the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Link to Amsoil -->

Be an organ & tissue donor, register at DonateLife

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dyogim View Post
    Where's the drain for the engine block?

When I flushed my system, I had gallons and gallons of distilled water. Drained the rad and filled with DW. Did this until the water was clear then, drained and fill with 50/50 mixture. That reminds me, I need to flush my system out as well before the summer time heat arrives....

BTW, I did bottle the fluid I drained and took it to the local hazardous waste site for proper disposal.
    I did something similar on the RAV4... just filled with DW, ran it, then drained and filled with SLL Pink. The DW came out really clean, so I didn't feel the need to flush any more. The factory fill on the RAV4 was SLL and it was 6 years into its expected 10 year initial life. I figure 5 year intervals with the SLL Pink shouldn't be a problem and doesn't really cost all that much over the time period.