Question Universal Joint......

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Universal Joint......

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Universal Joint......

I was wondering if I could scatch yours brains for a minute. I have a 2004 DBL Cab LTD tundra with 102K on it. I love the truck and it still looks new. I have had the upper and lower radiator hoses replaced, new OEM water pump, New timing belt, all new shocks and struts and was looking forward to a mainteance free 50K at least......Then I had to replace a front bearing and lately I have been hearing hearing a sqeak towards the rear of my truck when just rolling down the road. I took it to my mechanic to see what was going on thinking it was another bearing going out. I was told my universal joint was at the stages of going out. He had said its a 4 pcs uni that these toyotas have been known for acting up. Has anyone heard of these issues with the Uni's? How much should it run money wise? With my truck paid off and still looking new I would hate to get into another payment, but I don't want this thing nickle and diming me either. Any info would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    8 times
    Images

Default Re: Universal Joint......

I have an 05 DC 2wd. I noticed a squeak at idle speed, then it developed a vibration, then "thump" from R to D with the brake on, it took the "thump" for me to finally realize it was only a universal joint. There are many other threads on here that made me think it was something bigger and more expensive. I went to Auto Zone and bought a new u joint for $14.00. It was the rear one, 2 of the caps across from each other had lost all of the needle bearings. With a vice, torch, and a buddy I got it changed. No more problems so far!

These u joints are sealed, you don't have to grease them, they will never go bad! Thanks Toyota!
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way" -Thomas Pain

Liked
    5 times

My '04 4wd has a bunch of zerks. I break out the grease gun often enough to hopefully prevent joint issues. But, its mechanical and won't last forever.

M&M
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Every u-joint on my 2000 4wd has a grease fitting on it. I take a grease gun to the truck with every oil change.

Showing my age here, but back in "my day", most all u-joints and steering componets had grease fittings. It was the norm to do a lube job with every oil change.

Mack

Liked
    2347 times

Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    These u joints are sealed, you don't have to grease them, they will never go bad! Thanks Toyota!
    Are you referring to the Toyota universal joint or the aftermarket one you bought from Autozone? My 2004 has zerks on every single universal joint.

Quote Originally Posted by deadrx7conv View Post
    My '04 4wd has a bunch of zerks. I break out the grease gun often enough to hopefully prevent joint issues. But, its mechanical and won't last forever.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by M&M View Post
    Every u-joint on my 2000 4wd has a grease fitting on it. I take a grease gun to the truck with every oil change.

Showing my age here, but back in "my day", most all u-joints and steering componets had grease fittings. It was the norm to do a lube job with every oil change.

Mack
    Me too.
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the frontand rear differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    9 times
    Images

On my 06DC I lost my rear U-joint. It was $64 from toyota or $14 from Oreilly or Napa. The main difference is the one from Napa or Oreilly's will have a grease zerk. (which I prefer) Now everytime I change the oil I grease my one ujoint that requires it.
    White 06 SR5 DC - Blinglights bedlights
    Pop A Lock tailgate lock - TRD aftermarket LSD
    Custom Back Up Lights - Factory Fogs added
    Hellwig 7700 Swaybar - Bilstein HD shocks
    Firestone Sport Rite Air Springs w/onboard air

Liked
    15 times
    Images

Ok, not to hi-jack or anything, but my '04 has grease fittings on all the u-joints and the slip joints on the front and rear shafts.

Did 'Yota stop putting grease fittings on the u-joints in 2005 or something? (If so, maybe it was the fail-safe for when the throttles would stick wide open or someting! )
    MrBeanley
    Glenville, New York
    2004 Tundra Double Cab 4x4

Liked
    24 times

I think the 4WD has zerks (8 of them) and the 2WD does not. Maybe some of the 2WD owners can chime in and confirm.

Liked
    9 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RunawayTundra View Post
    I think the 4WD has zerks (8 of them) and the 2WD does not. Maybe some of the 2WD owners can chime in and confirm.

Correct!
    White 06 SR5 DC - Blinglights bedlights
    Pop A Lock tailgate lock - TRD aftermarket LSD
    Custom Back Up Lights - Factory Fogs added
    Hellwig 7700 Swaybar - Bilstein HD shocks
    Firestone Sport Rite Air Springs w/onboard air

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RunawayTundra View Post
    My 2wd 04 does NOT have any zerks.

When they start acting up I'll replace the joints with ones that do have them.

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    613 times
    Images

i was getting a thunk that i THOUGHT was the leaf springs or axle wrap when starting from a stop for a year now. last weekend i greased all my fittings and the slip yoke (who comes up with these names?) fitting took 15-20 pumps before it moved. i'd been putting grease in every 2-3 months and thought i'd been filling it. apparently not. now the thunk is gone.

BTW, i don't mean the thunk when you stop and it feels like someone tapped the rear bumper. it was pulling away from the stop...... pump the grease!
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.