Rear Brake Shoes

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Rear Brake Shoes

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Default Rear Brake Shoes

My 2005 D/C now has 119,000 miles on it. I drive quite a bit on the freeway. I replaced my OEM front brakes at 75,000 plus (77,000 I think) miles. Did not turn the rotors because they seemed nice and round. Just a short few miles ago I noticed a slight pulsation through the steering wheel and in checking out the front rotors I found that the rotors were one MM shy of being shot (turning not an option) so I replaced the rotors and pads with new ones. I'm happy with that. The replacement pads had 40,000+ miles on them (Raybesto Ceramic) and still had lots of life left. During the years I've had the truck I had a few times where I meekly tried to pull the rear drums to inspect the linings but couldn't get them off easily. Saturday, I put a couple of metric bolts in the threaded holes in the drums and forced them off to find that the rear linings still measured nearly 1/4". 7/32nds to be more exact. All four linings looked the same.

Do these things ever wear out?
    Last edited by David Jones; 06-01-2010 at 10:51 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Default Re: Rear Brake Shoes

If adjusted properly and routinely, they'll wear out. Being the mileage you have on your truck and the slight warping you had on the rotors it tells me you havent been adjusting the rears so they really haven't been pulling their fair share of stopping. Granted getting 77K out of a set of front pads is still very good but if you drove a lot of city miles they would've worn out much quicker. One thing i did learn from going from an open diff to an LSD is that it takes a different feel to know when the shoes are contacting the drums. It's easy to tell when spinning just one wheel but once you have two spinning it's tougher. I brought the first tire to where i could feel just a little extra drag then i did the other wheel and felt for just a shade bit more drag. Worked very good but took a few extra minutes to get the feel down. And the stopping power will be much better once the rears are tight.
    '06 AC SR5 4x4
    '05 Honda Foreman 500S 4x4
    '04 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Is a Toyota not like all other drum brakes? SELF adjusting? I use my parking brake every time I park.
    Last edited by David Jones; 06-01-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    109 times

Toyota rear drum brakes are NOT self adjusting.

I also use the emergency brake/parking brake everytime I stop/park. Mainly to keep the parts from seizing as using them does nothing to aid in the adjustment of the pads.

I had my parking brake bellcrank/hardware replaced not long ago and my pads were still very good as I had not been adjusting my pad adjustment. I did adjust them last year so I'm still good as I don't use my truck as much as I used to nowadays.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

They are "self adjusting" just like all the other manufacturer's out there however they dont get them tight enough to really make a significant difference. The only way to do that is to tighten them manually. I also use my parking brake all the time but it never fails i have to adjust the rears in order to keep them in close contact w/the drums, the same as on my last Tundra, chevy, and ford pickups. You saw the proof for yourself when you took off your drums. If you never want to replace the rear shoes than never adjust them but your gonna go through pads and rotors a little faster and have less stopping power. But if you want the best stopping power possible and less wear on the front brakes you have to manually adjust the rears.
    '06 AC SR5 4x4

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Geeee. I woulda thought that rear brake shoes lasting 120,000 miles+++ and only really using a set and a half of front pads and a pair of rotors in the same time was pretty good.
    In this day and age, if Toyota's drums aren't self adjusting they are saving money in the wrong area. That's technology from decades ago.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    109 times

I forget where I had read it but one of the reasons why Toyota used drums on the back of the Tundra was because they have better holding power when stopped.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Don't forget the HUGE cost of retooling a factory plus getting new parts suppliers for making such a massive switch. Plus there were some issues w/the parking brake setup which i know GM went from drums, to rear rotors, then back to drums cause they couldn't engineer the flaws out and it was a huge pain to service them. Toyota went to rotors in the rear w/the new design as an overall package deal since they just about reengineer the entire Tundra for 07. Let's be honest here the drum setup worked and although there were minor issues, the cost to change outweighted any true benefits so they stuck w/drums.
    '06 AC SR5 4x4

The Friendly Dragon by the Sea Puffnstuff's Avatar
    Liked
    179 times
    Images

I'd take rear discs any day over drums.
    RIP 2006 Tundra DC with: Eclipse AVN5500 Navigation System, Kicker IX500.4 driving infinity kappa 60.9cs door speakers, Kenwood KAC-X20 driving an infinity kappa 100.9w sub in sound ordnance bass bunker, UWS Black Deep Toolbox, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Rugged Liner Bed Liner, AVS chrome bug shield, EGR in channel vent visors, Ballistic Enigma 20x9 wheels & Nitto nt420 285/50R20 tires, Hellwig 7697 & 7700 sway bars, Stinger SPP2150 Battery, Big 3 wire upgrade with 1/0 Raptor, Rancho RS5000 struts/shocks, Dynomax VT 17956 muffler, EBC Slotted Sport Rotors & Yellowstuff Kevlar pads, Russell SS brake lines, Cheetah GPS Mirror

Liked
    0 times

I've got a question here. I'm about to buy some new rear brake shoes and the option is either 5 hole or 8 hole shoes. What is the difference? ( other than 3 holes, lol )

I'm not sure what they are talking about and I need them for my '02 tundra.

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    21 times

WOW! i have never heard of anyone anywhere that got that many miles out of pads & or shoes.
    but yes, they are self adjusting, but nothing beats hand tool adjustments.
    test it drive in reverse hitting your E brakes & releasing it. do it for a while. back up a block or 2.
    than jack it up. and see if you can spin the tire. it still spins very freely. than adjust it ith a skewsdriver if you don't own a rear shoe brake adjustment tool. than sping it. it should be nto toght where you can't move the tire. but it should move a bit. maybe a 1/2 turn than stop. thats a better adjustment.

i guess it's where you live. even on the highway in south florida we run into bumper to bumper traffic.
    that happens every week day. it happens on city streets. school zones everwhere.
    many accidients, broken down vehicles, etc. on both. bottle necking up every road.

so we still have to use the brakes on the highway/city more than we should.

for you thats awesome pad/shoe wear. not normal at all.
    it's a truck & it's heavy. so it should wear alot more than what you are getting.
    points sent for your extended long life on your brakes.
    i'm amazed this can happen.
    gorilla

Veteran Member
    Liked
    109 times

Right before a long road trip to FL from MA and back, I had changed out my front pads that had 53,000 miles on them and they were 5/8ths worn.

I have almost 50,000 on the 2nd set of pads and they are about 1/2 way worn. The stock pads wear very well on my 2004.

Liked
    40 times

I just ordered new drums and shoes for my 01. The truck has 174 K miles and the original owner just told me he never had the rear brakes done. That should be a fun job!!!
    2001 Tundra V6 3.4 5 spd manual 4WD

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I just put shoes on my 03 4x4 v8 AC and 8 holes were the ones that fit. The 5 holes had a different hole pattern.