Question can't open my driver door from inside

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: can't open my driver door from inside

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Default can't open my driver door from inside

hey guys , 2nd time posting ,,,,,, I last came here was for info on how to change out the contacts on my starter (which was a piece of cake, more scary looking than it was)

my truck is a 2000 tundra gutless 125k v8 w/ power windows .seams ??? the rod inside the door has come apart , I can open it from the outside but the inside latch pulls but won't open the door , might I ask what is involved with getting inside the driver door to fix what is wrong , and what might be the problem? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Junior Member Atilla the Tundra's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default Re: can't open my driver door from inside

From a guy that had to change out **** in his door all the damn time when I had a honda, I can tell you that yes, you do have to open the inside panel. I'm no expert on Tundra doors but with the honda you undid screws in the door handle, and in the top right corner, and the door panel kind of pops out with a little force.
    Inside the door is a rod that snaps into a hole in the door handle assembly. Once you find the freely floating metal rod, just put it back in the door handle assy and boom. Clean up. I had to do this like once a month.
    2006 v8 sr5 trd muffin

http://barbarianbrewhouse.com

"Wake early if you wish to take another man's life or land. No lamb for the lazy wolf, no battle won in bed."
    -The Havamal

Liked
    0 times

I had the same exact problem you are having. You have to remove I think 2 screws from the right side of the panel. You have to take the 2 screws out of the handle that you pull the door to with. You have to remove 2 screws from the latch handle itself, and there are a number of panel pins that have to be pulled from the edge of the door panel. I left the wire harnesses together that plug into the window and door lock buttons. My cable broke that connects to my door handle.. Mine is like yours where I could open the door from the outside but not from the inside. We managed to Jerry rig a ground wire terminal to the cable and soldered it together. Then we ran a small bolt through the eye of the ground wire terminal through the latch eye. I probably didnt do a good job of explaining this...so I'm sorry for any confusion.

Liked
    16 times

Had this happen to me when I had my 2000 AC. It happened before I was willing to dig into stuff on the truck so I had taken it to a local shop. They said a plastic piece on the door lock assembly had broken...the kicker was that according to them, the ENTIRE ASSEMBLY had to be replaced and they had to wait while it was shipped from the mainland. Two weeks and $300 later, the door was fixed. It sucked!

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

ok door panel isloose ,screws are out , but looks like the inside door handle is still attached to the door ,I took that screw out also , whats the deal. use force?

edit:never mind it was the trim AROUND the lever holding things up
    Last edited by M38A1; 08-10-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Liked
    612 times
    Images

Get some pics along the way give us a play by play / DIY post for the next guy.
    2006 Tundra StepSide
    2010 Honda CR-V
    2000 Isuzu Trooper

Red Adair- "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

got the cable assy today Toyota #69710-0C010 ----$10 should be back together. tomorrow

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I had the same problem. I ordered my cable, took everything off, put it all back together. the outside handle lifts a piece of the latch assembly, the inside latch is also lifting a brass looking piece as well. the kicker is now that I have all of it back together, the door is stuck closed and the latch won't release at all. In my over-confidence, I put it all back together thinking it was going to work. I guess the latch assembly mechanism has to be replaced. Only thing is, how do I get the door open? I looked at the passenger's side, but it looks like the whole thing is sealed. I don't think I will be able to get the door panel off to try and fish it open from the inside. Anyone else seen this problem or have any advice?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quick update... the issue was partially the latch assembly and partially the fact that the door lock was not completely being pushed all the way down. I inserted the key in the door lock and turned it clockwise a few times while lifting on the outside handle and pulling the door. after a few minutes I was able to get it open. I sprayed WD-40 on the door lock and got it moving pretty smoothly.

So, I took it apart again and took the latch mechanism out and it looks like the springs on the inside are just worn out. the bottom spring allows the latch release to come down, but the top spring just doesn't pop the latch back up like it should. So, I guess I will order a new latch assembly.

To top it off the inside door handle's mount (the black plastic piece that supports the two cables and the handle and lock) broke while I was playing with the assembly. So, I guess I will order that one as well. Still cheaper than taking it to the dealership.