Rear axle seal leak.

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear axle seal leak.

Liked
    1 times

Default Rear axle seal leak.

Hey everyone!

I have a 2000 toyota tundra with 112,000 miles on it and I just noticed I have a axle seal leak on my pass. side. Its dripping onto the inside of the wheel and then leaking down the back of the tire. I pulled of the drum and everything is coated in the gear oil. I know Ill have to put new brake pads on now. This is the third 3rd member( Detroit locker and 4.56s now) I have had in this rear diff. case but the same axles and whatnot. I have had the axle shafts out three times so far and when putting them back in, I let them slide on the seals, not knowing any better. BUT I know not to do it now.

I'm going to try to replace the seals and bearing myself and go ahead and do both sides, so for the ones on here that have done it, can you all give me any advice, tips, what tools Ill need, how hard it is, etc....?

#1 new brake pads for both sides
    #2 90363-40068 x2 = bearings for both sides
    #3 90310-50006 x2 = inner oil seal
    #4 90313-54001 x2 = outer oil seal
    What other parts and pieces am I missing? o-rings,gaskets?

I went ahead and ordered a seal driver kit and a seal puller from harbor freight today.
    I know Ill need someone to press the old bearings off and press the new ones on, not a problem.

Is there anything write up on any of this? Will i need to remove all the brake components off the back plate in order to press the new bearing on? and then the backing plate slides over the new bearing? I just want to make sure I get this done right the first time.

Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    11 times
    Images

Default Re: Rear axle seal leak.

retainers x4
    abs gear x2

you can prob reuse the 2 retainers on top of the bearing.

05 Salsa Red Pearl DC
    01 Honda Civic
    95 Acura Integra

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    368 times

I saw a writeup, but I don't remember if it's on here. I think you'll have to cut the tone ring and retainer to remove them. Also make sure you get the new retainer pressed on to the proper spec. The inner axle seal rides on it and if you press it on too far it won't seal.

Liked
    1 times

thanks! I thought I was leaving something out. I dont have abs so thats what less thing to do. I was looking at pictures eariler and it looks like a pretty easy job. Backing plate, outer seal in the back plate, then bearing, retainer, c-clip, and inner seal.

Liked
    1 times

Thanks johnny! whats the tone ring?

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    368 times

It's the ABS ring. FWIW, you can probably just clean up your old brake shoes with some degreaser or brake cleaner.

Liked
    1 times

alright so Ill just have the bearing and retainer pressed on until I can get the c-clip on then since I dont have abs? I can leave all the brake stuff attached to the backing plate when I get the new bearings installed right? I noticed that marlin crawler has a rear axle service kit for 2000-2004 for $145 for both axles. Do you think I should go ahead and get that? Im calling to call them tomorrow to make sure it'll all work for the tundras, which it should I;m guessing.

Rear Axle Service Kit, 2000-04 | Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    368 times

I've replaced the seals but not the bearings. I had the dealer replace a bearing a few weeks ago. It would've cost me over $160 just for parts to do it myself. Parts and labor at the dealer was just over $300. Well worth it for me not to have to d!ck around with it and if it starts leaking again in the near future, it's their problem.

Liked
    5 times
    Images

I've never dealt with Marlin crawler but if that kit is for a Tundra axle then it seems like a pretty good deal. Looks like it has all the bits you need aside from the brake parts.

I think all my parts for my '03 (with abs stuff) was ~$325 for both sides from a toyota dealer online. (Mighta been less, ordered parts a long time before I installed them, but I did get some spares.)
    Last edited by LoupFou; 08-31-2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: edits

Liked
    2203 times
    Images

I have replaced rear axle seals three times now. I am somewhat of a professional at this procedure but not by choice. One thing comes to mind that I would recommend is to do the breather modification. When the gear oil in the rear differential heats up the air in the differential expands and pushes against the seals - eventually causing them to leak. My stock breather was not there and when I changed out the fluid it looked like mud. Since doing the modification I have had not further problems. Even if you have the stock breather it is possible that it has become clogged so check that too.

The work is pretty easy. Just need to be very delicate pulling and reinstalling the axles (no hammers!!). I would recommend lubing the outer seal before reinstalling the axle in case the axle rubs against it while reinstalling. There is an oil shield inside the differential and it can slip down while the axle is out. If you meet with any resistance while reinstalling the axle STOP and check to see if this shield has slipped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loooking down axle housing.jpg 
Views:	3638 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	54346   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear Differential.jpg 
Views:	707 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	54347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Axle and drum removed.jpg 
Views:	1727 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	54348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drum prior to removal.jpg 
Views:	1337 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	54349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fitting and Hose.jpg 
Views:	873 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	54350  
    Last edited by Highwaylizard; 09-01-2010 at 07:09 AM.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    1 times

Thanks guys! I had the breather mod done for about a year now. I'm going to call Marlin crawler today to see if that kit will work with our trucks. There pretty good people, I ordered a whole third member from them last year with a Detroit locker and 4.56s and its still holding up fine today.

Thanks for the info lizard. Is there any tips and tricks I should know about? Should I put anything on the outside of the inner seal to help it go in easier? How does the outer seal work? does it just go on the backing plate right after the bearing?

Liked
    2203 times
    Images

RSS Re: Rear axle seal leak.

Quote Originally Posted by 400exboy2 View Post
    Thanks guys! I had the breather mod done for about a year now. I'm going to call Marlin crawler today to see if that kit will work with our trucks. There pretty good people, I ordered a whole third member from them last year with a Detroit locker and 4.56s and its still holding up fine today.

Thanks for the info lizard. Is there any tips and tricks I should know about? Should I put anything on the outside of the inner seal to help it go in easier? How does the outer seal work? does it just go on the backing plate right after the bearing?

Hey 400exboy2 - no problems. Is the seal you are referring to the one in this picture? This seal was the only one I replaced (twice on the driver's side and once on the passenger side) and the seal itself was a piece of cake. Pulled the old one with a seal puller, lubed the new one, and used a big diameter piece of PVC pipe to tap it back into place (the only part of this process where you can admit to using a hammer) until it seats.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loooking down axle housing.jpg 
Views:	865 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	54372  
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    11 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
    Hey 400exboy2 - no problems. Is the seal you are referring to the one in this picture? This seal was the only one I replaced (twice on the driver's side and once on the passenger side) and the seal itself was a piece of cake. Pulled the old one with a seal puller, lubed the new one, and used a big diameter piece of PVC pipe to tap it back into place (the only part of this process where you can admit to using a hammer) until it seats.
    nice pic! the brake fluid is dripping down as you snapped!

if no ABS then you press the bearing and retainer until it clears the snap ring. the shoes does not need to come off the backing plate.

05 Salsa Red Pearl DC
    01 Honda Civic
    95 Acura Integra

Liked
    2203 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by integraGSR View Post
    nice pic! the brake fluid is dripping down as you snapped!

if no ABS then you press the bearing and retainer until it clears the snap ring. the shoes does not need to come off the backing plate.

Good eye there integraGSR!! Not many people catch that. Right after the picture I jammed an awl with some rubber over the end into the brake line. Kind of cool though with the drop suspended in mid-air.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog

Liked
    180 times
    Images

Dang! I removed my drums today because my ebrake was not sticking very well, and now I see why. Guess I was'nt to careful installing my axels in last locker change.
    2003 Sequoia Limited 4wd- Revtec lift, 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers

Life's a bore, I'm going pig hunting...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast