2000 Tundra Check Engine Light Code P0420

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 2000 Tundra Check Engine Light Code P0420

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation 2000 Tundra Check Engine Light Code P0420

Alrite I have a 2000 Tundra with 110,000 miles. Just recently the check engine light came on. When it came on I noticed that at a stop light the truck would idle below normal. It wouldn't always happen though. I am getting a worse gas mileage. The light would come on for a week then turn off for a few days then come back on. I put dual flowmaster 40 series on about a year ago. The scan tool says anything from air leak in exhaust before rear h02s, af sensor error, fuel system fault, or faulty cat. Anyone have any idaes what it may be. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    283 times
    Images

Default Re: 2000 Tundra Check Engine Light Code P0420

Do a search and you'll see what others have diagnosed. Here's one for example: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...le-code-po420/

Off the top, it could be O2 sensors or a catalytic converter.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

1) Do you hear any rattles in the exhaust?

2) Do you notice any smells when the exhaust is hot?

3) Have you noticed a loss in power?

My first thought is a clogged cat. If you have access to am infrared thermometer (its like a laser pointer that will read surface temps) measure the temp on the exhaust pipe just before the cat converter, and then read the temp on the exhaust pipe just after. If there is a significant difference in temp, its clogged. You could also pull the cat and visually inspect it for holes in the honey comb, or clumps that fall out.

Liked
    103 times
    Images

My first guess is old/going bad O2 sensor after the cat. That was what caused mine but I have a V6 tundra. Mine did the on and off before it finally wouldn't reset with my scangauge

Liked
    276 times
    Images

My tacoma was just throwing this code. it was the cat and it was replaced under the federal 8 year 80,000 mile emissions warranty (O2 sensors are only covered for 2 years, 20k) but you seem to be over that warranty. That would have been a $1,500 charge if performed at a dealership and not under warranty. I just had this work done last week so I can't say for sure if it was fixed but they ran tests that showed the cat was underperforming
    2001 Black AC V8 4x4

Current Mods: 5100s on 4th Notch, Diff Drop, Poly Rack Bushings, Recon Tailgate LED Bar, Edelbrock Exhaust, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/R16, Blacked Out Emblems, Color Matched Mirror Caps, Bumpers and Front Grill, Skid Row Skid Plate (Thanks to four_by_four), Full Blue LED interior lighting, Herculiner Bed Liner, Kobalt Low Profile Tool Box, Smitty Built Rear Shackle, Walmart Front AUX lights, JVC Headunit, Kicker Front Components, Pioneer Rear Speakers, Magnefine Filter, Viper Remote Start, Single in-Dual out 2.25in Exhaust
    Thanks to Rust: New Frame, New Calipers, New Rear Axle, Sway Bar End Links, Tailgate Straps, Patched Bed Floor
    Quote Originally Posted by italiantundra88 View Post
    dave, every one has a weekness, yours is just any work on your truck

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by streetracin101 View Post
    1) Do you hear any rattles in the exhaust?

2) Do you notice any smells when the exhaust is hot?

3) Have you noticed a loss in power?

My first thought is a clogged cat. If you have access to am infrared thermometer (its like a laser pointer that will read surface temps) measure the temp on the exhaust pipe just before the cat converter, and then read the temp on the exhaust pipe just after. If there is a significant difference in temp, its clogged. You could also pull the cat and visually inspect it for holes in the honey comb, or clumps that fall out.
    I dont here any rattles or smells but I do feel like i lost a little power.

LinkBacks (?)