2000 Tundra front actuator questions.

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2000 Tundra front actuator questions.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2000 Tundra front actuator questions.

Hi
    For the last 3 years my 4 wheel drive is hit and miss meaning some times it worked and some times it didn't.
    When it didn't I could usually get it to engage with several pushes of the button.
    Well this year no luck. Push the button and all I get is the flashing 4x4 light on the dash.
    I tinkered with it and have it narrowed down to the front drive axel actuator.
    If I tap on the actuator with a small hammer it will engage correctly.
    So I read a post here and they were talking about greasing the actuator and mentioned di electric grease.
    I started to pull the actuator so I could tear it apart and look things over but as soon as the seal between it and the axel was broke loose it started leaking fluid and since I'm not sure what type and weight it takes I quickly tightened it back up.
    A few questions.
    What type and weight gear lube does the front axel use?
    Can the actuator be serviced with out removing it from the axel?
    I'm assuming that the grease they were talking about goes inside the plastic cup that is held on with 4 Philips screws and is it di electric grease or just regular bearing grease?
    Is there anything else I need to know about the removal/repair of the actuator?
    If I cant get this actuator to work where is a cheap place to buy a new one, are there any aftermarket or does it have to come from Toyota? Anyone know the part #?
    Thanks.
    Water Rat

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    24 times

Default Re: 2000 Tundra front actuator questions.

I can answer a couple of your questions. Hopefully, others will chime in with the missing answers.

The front differential uses 75w90 gear oil. Many on this site have used the Mobil 1 synthetic version. Make sure you can remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug. I believe the plugs use an allen wrench (hex key) - can't remember the size.

I have seen the front differential actuators on ebay for around $70 - not sure of the quality.

Liked
    2352 times

Hey Water Rat - sorry I cannot offer any advice on fixing but I will offer some advice on preventative maintenance. You should "exercise" the four wheel drive at least once a month as this keeps everything from freezing up and keeps things lubed. I do mine when sitting in the driveway when I first start the truck and before I back out of the driveway - gives the truck a chance to warm up a little before driving.

You may want to check in the engine drive train sub-forum to see if there is anything there.
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the frontand rear differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    2352 times

Download this to your computer:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/00-03-Tun...Tundra_FSM.pdf

Manuals with diagrams

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the frontand rear differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by RunawayTundra View Post
    I can answer a couple of your questions. Hopefully, others will chime in with the missing answers.

The front differential uses 75w90 gear oil. Many on this site have used the Mobil 1 synthetic version. Make sure you can remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug. I believe the plugs use an allen wrench (hex key) - can't remember the size.

I have seen the front differential actuators on ebay for around $70 - not sure of the quality.
    Thanks!
    Got me to thinking while Im under there I should do the rear differential also, does it take the same 75w90?
    Tip on the fill plug a big Thanks!! I can just see that drained and cant refill.

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    616 times
    Images

it happens. don't ask how i know.....
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by 2003bajatundra4x4ac View Post
    it happens. don't ask how i know.....
    ??? What happens???

Liked
    24 times

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Thanks!
    Got me to thinking while Im under there I should do the rear differential also, does it take the same 75w90?
    Tip on the fill plug a big Thanks!! I can just see that drained and cant refill.

From memory, I think the rear takes 90 weight for the LSD's and 75w140 for the non-LSD's. I would definitely double check with your owner's manual to make sure. If you have a LSD, you may also need to add a friction modifier depending on what type of gear oil that you use. I think the rear and transfer case drain plugs are 24mm.

I have been running synthetic 75w90 in the front, rear, and transfer case for about the last five years without any issues.

Liked
    2352 times

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    ??? What happens???
    Getting the drain plug out only to find that the fill plug will not come out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.