Squeaky Pulley Driving Me Crazy

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Squeaky Pulley Driving Me Crazy

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Default Squeaky Pulley Driving Me Crazy

I'm not really sure which one it is but its most likely up front on the serpentine belt. What is the best lube to use or should I just try to replace it. It was squeaking on and off but now its does it no matter what and is really loud. Any input would be great. I did a search and came up with nothing. Thanks.
    NEW:
    2005 Tundra DC 4x4 Limited- 5% window tint- Toytec Coilovers set at 2.5"- 1.5" AAL- Fakemaster Super 40- 305/55/20 Mickey Thomson Baja ATZ- 20"x10" KMC Revolver.

OLD:
    2001 Tundra V8 4x4 Limited -6" RCD lift -4.88 Gears w/ rear locker -Rocksliders -35"x12.5"x20" Nitto Muds -20"x9" KMC Hoss -Flowmaster Super 40 -5% Tint - Hybrid Emblem- Custom Made skid plate- Q-logic box with 2 8" RF subs and 500W RF amp-

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    367 times

Default Re: Squeaky Pulley Driving Me Crazy

Replace it. To figure out which one is making the noise, remove the belt and turn them all by hand. You might be able to spray some PB Blaster, WD-40, etc in there to stop the squeak, but it won't fix the problem.

Liked
    1 times

I had a similar problem and I kept thinking it was the power steering going out. Anyway, after further reading and researching the forum, it looks to be the common problem of just the belt itself. I just changed the belt 2 days ago, and it is now good as new. Do the search and you'll see many recommend the Goodyear Gatorback 4060905. I got mine on ebay for about 1/2 of the price of local auto parts.

Took me about an hour to swap out the belt, but I wasted 90% of that time simply doing the wrong thing. If I had to do it again on my own, it would take 5min top. As suggested prior, once you have the belt off, you can just manually turn and check each of the pulley if you suspect it's something else. I wouldn't waste your money or time on belt dressing. Those are just band-aid and problem will always come back sooner than later.
    2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4x2 4.7
    FM 40s w/o resonator
    5100 set @ 2.5"
    Hawk LTS brake pads
    Power Stop Cross Drilled and Slotted rotors
    Gone through 3 sets of wheels already from 18x10s to current 20x8.5....still experimenting

Liked
    4 times
    Images

I put some chain lube that I had for my bike on it and it stopped for about a minute but came back. I think I'll try something a bit stronger and if that doesn't work I'll do a new belt and a new pulley if I can find which one is making the noise. I just hope it wont seize up and cause a bigger problem.
    NEW:
    2005 Tundra DC 4x4 Limited- 5% window tint- Toytec Coilovers set at 2.5"- 1.5" AAL- Fakemaster Super 40- 305/55/20 Mickey Thomson Baja ATZ- 20"x10" KMC Revolver.

OLD:
    2001 Tundra V8 4x4 Limited -6" RCD lift -4.88 Gears w/ rear locker -Rocksliders -35"x12.5"x20" Nitto Muds -20"x9" KMC Hoss -Flowmaster Super 40 -5% Tint - Hybrid Emblem- Custom Made skid plate- Q-logic box with 2 8" RF subs and 500W RF amp-

Liked
    2824 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peterfarhangi View Post
    I put some chain lube that I had for my bike on it and it stopped for about a minute but came back. I think I'll try something a bit stronger and if that doesn't work I'll do a new belt and a new pulley if I can find which one is making the noise. I just hope it wont seize up and cause a bigger problem.
    If the belt dressing stopped it, even for a bit, it isn't a pulley. It's the belt. Get a Gatorback and don't look back.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

The Friendly Dragon by the Sea Puffnstuff's Avatar
    Liked
    179 times
    Images

Ditto on the gatorback. It's the only belt I'll use on my truck.
    RIP 2006 Tundra DC with: Eclipse AVN5500 Navigation System, Kicker IX500.4 driving infinity kappa 60.9cs door speakers, Kenwood KAC-X20 driving an infinity kappa 100.9w sub in sound ordnance bass bunker, UWS Black Deep Toolbox, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Rugged Liner Bed Liner, AVS chrome bug shield, EGR in channel vent visors, Ballistic Enigma 20x9 wheels & Nitto nt420 285/50R20 tires, Hellwig 7697 & 7700 sway bars, Stinger SPP2150 Battery, Big 3 wire upgrade with 1/0 Raptor, Rancho RS5000 struts/shocks, Dynomax VT 17956 muffler, EBC Slotted Sport Rotors & Yellowstuff Kevlar pads, Russell SS brake lines, Cheetah GPS Mirror

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My 06 DC Limited had a "squeaky wheel" in the serpentine system. Turned out it was the OE belt tensioner assembly, and there is a service bulletin and an improved replacement part. I am going to add all the info from my service printout, and maybe you can take to local dealer and they will understand. The tensioner is just a bit to the driver side of the engine centerline, and it is a pulley that appears to have no function (in other words, not connected to the alternator, not connected to the AC compressor, PS pump, etc). I had to pay just a bit of the cost, because it was a known problem with a Toyota assigned cost to correct.

VSA1TB7691
    $472.76

Part No 16620-0W101 Tensioner Assembly, V Unit Price $104.29
    Part No 88431-0C012 Bracket, Compress Unit Price $103.97

I guess maybe a redesigned compresser bracket is part of the fix as well. Anyway, for my truck it took care of the noise you describe.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    My 06 DC Limited had a "squeaky wheel" in the serpentine system. Turned out it was the OE belt tensioner assembly, and there is a service bulletin and an improved replacement part. I am going to add all the info from my service printout, and maybe you can take to local dealer and they will understand. The tensioner is just a bit to the driver side of the engine centerline, and it is a pulley that appears to have no function (in other words, not connected to the alternator, not connected to the AC compressor, PS pump, etc). I had to pay just a bit of the cost, because it was a known problem with a Toyota assigned cost to correct.

VSA1TB7691
    $472.76

Part No 16620-0W101 Tensioner Assembly, V Unit Price $104.29
    Part No 88431-0C012 Bracket, Compress Unit Price $103.97

I guess maybe a redesigned compresser bracket is part of the fix as well. Anyway, for my truck it took care of the noise you describe.
    Just had this replaced on my 05 V8. The squeaking was driving me nuts and thought we'd replace the belt. Luckily we noticed the bolt holding the pulley wheel in place had nearly stripped itself. The new part does a better job of keeping the bolt in place. $530.00 later, but we caught it before the pulley went into the radiator...
    A Slice of New York - Voted Best Pizza in all Bay Area ...

Liked
    8 times
    Images

Wipe it down with WD-40 until you replace the belt. Do not use it as a reason to delay replacement on the part, but it will aid in reducing the noise and friction that is causing it.

WIPE it down; do not spray, and I know it need not be said, but do not do this with the engine running