Bring the Diesel Hilux to America!

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bring the Diesel Hilux to America!

Liked
    29 times
    Images

Arrow Bring the Diesel Hilux to America!

I sure wish Toyota would bring the Diesel Hilux to America, its available in almost every other country: UK's Hilux Page

My other hope is that maybe JUST maybe toyota will finally get moving on the promise they have had listed on their website about getting us a clean diesel tundra and sequoia:
    Diesel Fuel

Toyota does not currently sell any vehicles equipped with diesel engines in the United States.

Tundra, Sequoia, and Land Cruiser are offered with the 5.7-Liter V8 gasoline engine.
    Tundra and Sequoia may be offered with an all-new clean-diesel option in the near future.

Is anyone else STILL wondering why Toyota hasn't gotten around to following up on this? I think that line has been on their website for like 4 years!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: Bring the Diesel Hilux to America!

I think it would be a great idea. I am hoping for the same thing
    06 Tundra XSP 4WD
    MODS
    1. Leavling Kit
    2. Magnaflow
    3. N-fab Nerf Bars
    4. Weather Tech Mats
    5. HID Headlight/Fogs
    6. Hellwig Rear Sway bar
    7. Poly Front Sway Bar Bushings
    8. 5% Window Tint
    9. Drop in K&N
    10. Covercraft Seatsavers
    And I think thats about it.

Liked
    2203 times
    Images

I am still astonished that Toyota did not bring a full size diesel pick-up truck to North America to administer the death blow to the big-three-losers. Toyota gives all sorts of excuses for not bringing diesels to North America - primarily that there is no demand for one which we all know to be bull. There are arguments for emissions which are also unfounded. Japan has some of the strictest emissions laws and some of the most strictly enforced testing of emissions of any country on the face of the planet. Creating an engine that would meet emissions here was done there decades ago. They are still decades ahead of us.

There must be a hell of a lot of money in not owning the largest pick-up truck market on the face of the planet.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    2942 times
    Images

I'd bet it isn't an engineering issue so much as an after-purchase service issue. What do you think the cost would be to dealers/service centers to properly train and tool up for servicing an entirely different engine class? Even though dealer service techs are nothing more than parts swappers, there must be some barrier(s) to execution that we aren't aware of.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

I think they are being kept out by the goverment. I'm not one of the nut jobs that thinks everything is the goverments fault. I think toyota has not crushed the US truck market out of concern for it's overall relationship with the US. If they came with a deisel that gets 23 mpg and tows 15000 pounds the big three would be done for. It is expensive for toyota to not sell here but imagine if GM went under, it would be like the late 70's. Everyone would HATE toyota. And stop buying them.

Liked
    2203 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mytundrarocks View Post
    I think they are being kept out by the goverment. I'm not one of the nut jobs that thinks everything is the goverments fault. I think toyota has not crushed the US truck market out of concern for it's overall relationship with the US. If they came with a deisel that gets 23 mpg and tows 15000 pounds the big three would be done for. It is expensive for toyota to not sell here but imagine if GM went under, it would be like the late 70's. Everyone would HATE toyota. And stop buying them.

I have do agree that some of it has to be government which involves a lot of interests but I disagree with the last part about hating Toyota.

People may have hated Japanese cars in the 70's (Honda) but they bought them anyway and Honda prospered. The image of the hating Japanese cars was burned into our memories by lazy, uneducated, trash producing UAW members who knew it was the beginning of the end.

No amount of UAW indoctrination will change how people spend their money once they realize that everything detroit produces is crap. Face it, money talks and bullsh!t walks (or is left abandoned on the side of the road).
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    16 times
    Images

Diesel + 6spd manual tranny please
    Thank you Middletown Toyota in Middletown, CT for painless and quick frame replacement, and awesome customer service.

New mods: Air Lift air spring kit + onboard compressor.

Liked
    9 times
    Images

i could care less if the hilux had a diesel i just want that truck offered in the states. i've spent a lot of time overseas and have driven that truck through places no vehicle should go. Its pretty much the 1980's tried and true toyota pickup with a new shell on it. if they offered it in the states i would say goodbye to the tundra and hello hilux. thats my opinion.

Andrew
    2012 Ford Raptor - 2008 Ford F250 - 1984 Toyota Pickup - 2008 Yamaha Raider .................................................. ................. Sold - 2005 Toyota Tundra AC LimitedNitto Terra Grapplers LT325/60/20 on 20" Rev Commando's, Bilstien 5100's on Top Notch, 3/8" Spacer, 3" Body Lift, Camburg UCA's, 1.5" Rear Blocks, Rough Country Rear Shocks, RevTek Diff Drop, Total Chaos Steering Rack Bushings, Downey HD End Links, CV Boot Mod, Unichip PnP, K&N CAI, Headers, Y-Pipe, Borla Split Side Exit Exhaust, Removed Resonator, Summit Nerf Bars, Bullett Bull Bar, KC Highlights Long Range Slim Lights, 1.25" Spidertraxx Adapters, Blacked Fender Flares, Mouldings and Badges, Herculiner Roll On Bed LinerFull LED Conversion with HIDS, Panasonic CQ-VW100U, Panasonic CA-PANSC1U, Sirius SC-C1, Infinity 6022i, Infinity 6020CU, Q-Logic QL-C1TTX208, Kicker ZX400.1, Rockford Fosgate P2D28 x2, Cobra 9540, Scanguage 2

Liked
    172 times
    Images

I can't believe it gets over 30 mpg's? They need to offer that engine in the Tacoma's.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by mytundrarocks View Post

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

and in this case what has kept the domestics from doing exactly that and cause toyota to be "done for"? But you are partially correct in that the .gov is to blame.

I'll tell you

We cannot have hyper efficiency diesel powered trucks in this country for (get this) environmental concerns. Yep that's right environmental concerns. Our diesel emissions standards as mandated by the EPA are the most strict in the world. As it stands right now the emissions equipment to meet these standards adds appx $8000 to the vehicle cost (that's an eight with three ZEROs following). So what that's done is relegate the diesel to markets that are willing to pay that much of a premium IE the market for heavy towing where only a diesel will do in 3/4 and 1 ton+ trucks. A market toyota doesn't serve.

This is why all the big three canceled their quite developed 1/2 ton diesel programs recently and also why Ford came out with the ecoboost gasser. Folks simply won't pay $8000 for an engine that costs twice as much to service and only gets 20% more economy with a fuel that costs 15% more
    WARNING!Overexposure to the above post is known by the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm

Liked
    63 times
    Images

I love the Hilux! If they brought them to America, I'd have one sitting in my driveway... a few years from now when I can get one used...
    2000 Tundra SR5 2WD... Camburg UCAs, Camburg 2.5" coil-overs, Deaver 10-packs, Bilstein 5100s, Moog LBJs, BFG A/T 285/75/16s, TRD bead-lock wheels, K&N air filter, 18" MagnaFlow muffler, clear corners, Sylvania fog/headlights, full LED conversion, Kenwood head unit & 6-3/4" 3-way speakers, Sound Ordnance B-8PT 8" subwoofer, Coverking neoprene seat covers... so far...

Liked
    23 times
    Images

Gotta say, the Hilux that Top Gear took to the North Pole was BEAST. I really wish Toyota would bring diesel to the states. What ever happened to that dually Tundra they were showing off everywhere? Last update I heard from that came from 2009 when Toyota exec's said a deisel tundra was at least 3 years away (being 2012) on tundraheadquarters.com
    2000 AC Tundra 4WD 4.7L, Flowmaster American Thunder dual exhaust, Five 100 watt KC Daylighters (2 on one switch, 3 on the another), Pioneer/Premier (sirius, bluetooth, iPod) DEHP-790BT headunit, Kicker component speakers, MA audio midbass drivers, all powered by Jensen 4 channel amp, Two 8" Kicker Comp VT subs powered by Pioneer GM-5400T amp. 1 ferad capacitor followed by a distribution block feeds both amps. Bilstein 5100's all the way around, front on top setting. Wheeler's Add-A-Leaf kit in rear with Hellwig 550 lb level load helper springs. Spidertraxx wheel spacers, painted wheels (Duplicolor Graphite Grey. thanks BobbyB for the inspiration there), Custom bumper with front hitch receiver, Smittybuilt XR-C8 winch.

Custom rear bumper/tailgate is currently in the works

and of course a list of about 57362 things i want to do in the future...can't stop the M.A.D.ness

Junior Member Atilla the Tundra's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Images

Don't forget that Americans pay a FAT amount of money for diesel. People wouldn't buy just because of that one factor. I'd love to own a diesel Tundra, though.
    2006 v8 sr5 trd muffin

http://barbarianbrewhouse.com

"Wake early if you wish to take another man's life or land. No lamb for the lazy wolf, no battle won in bed."
    -The Havamal

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Having spent a good deal of time in the middle east I can vouch first hand for the Hilux. I loved having mine there and, thank God, I can say they stand up quite well to damage fromthe desert heat and sand, cold and once snow and lastly shrapnel/gunfire too...lol. We drove these excessively hard in the deserts of Iraq for a year, well beyond what an American truck could endure, and the only thing we had to do was add fuel, oil change every 10k miles, and keep some extra coolant handy. Never once did we get stuck but passed a number of HMMWV's that had gotten bogged down in the sand. If these come to the US I will be eagerly standing in long lines for one. Love my Tundra's and will own a 3rd when the time comes.

Liked
    29 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by '00 Tundra View Post
    Gotta say, the Hilux that Top Gear took to the North Pole was BEAST. I really wish Toyota would bring diesel to the states. What ever happened to that dually Tundra they were showing off everywhere? Last update I heard from that came from 2009 when Toyota exec's said a deisel tundra was at least 3 years away (being 2012) on tundraheadquarters.com
    Speaking of TopGear... Have you seen the videos where they TRY to destoy an old body style Hilux/Pickup by dropping it off a cliff, setting it on fire, putting it in a lake, etc. etc. etc., and it still runs with just minor repairs using hand tools.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast