Question clicking sound when stepping on brakes

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clicking sound when stepping on brakes

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default clicking sound when stepping on brakes

hi guys, i have a question. i have a 2006 toyota tundra double cab sr5 4x2. i notice when i step on the brakes like on side roads or 4 way stop. i can hear this clicking sound inside the lower driver side part. is this normal?

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: clicking sound when stepping on brakes

probably the relay for the brake lights your hearing.

The Friendly Dragon by the Sea Puffnstuff's Avatar
    Liked
    179 times
    Images

Unless you've got a short you shouldn't hear anything when braking unless the abs is active.
    RIP 2006 Tundra DC with: Eclipse AVN5500 Navigation System, Kicker IX500.4 driving infinity kappa 60.9cs door speakers, Kenwood KAC-X20 driving an infinity kappa 100.9w sub in sound ordnance bass bunker, UWS Black Deep Toolbox, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Rugged Liner Bed Liner, AVS chrome bug shield, EGR in channel vent visors, Ballistic Enigma 20x9 wheels & Nitto nt420 285/50R20 tires, Hellwig 7697 & 7700 sway bars, Stinger SPP2150 Battery, Big 3 wire upgrade with 1/0 Raptor, Rancho RS5000 struts/shocks, Dynomax VT 17956 muffler, EBC Slotted Sport Rotors & Yellowstuff Kevlar pads, Russell SS brake lines, Cheetah GPS Mirror

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    646 times
    Images

The most likely reason, assuming it's a gentle clicking, is that the bushing needs a little lubrication. Get down there with a can of WD40 and the little straw that comes with it, identify the pivot points for the pedal assembly, and sparingly give it a little squirt.

Make sure you don't hit the cam on the emergency/parking brake pedal where the cable lays. Only hit the pivot points for the service brake assembly.

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

thank you guys for the input..i went to stop by a local toyota dealer and they said its the break relay..they said this is common from tundras and sequioas. again..any input from you guys is highly appreciated.

thanks!

Liked
    1 times

So did you get it fixed by Toyota? Do you have the invoice showing the part number and what the cost was? I've had the same problem since I bought my '03 Tundra last June. I've try lubricating it, and looked under, but was unable to find the problem still.
    2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4x2 4.7
    FM 40s w/o resonator
    5100 set @ 2.5"
    Hawk LTS brake pads
    Power Stop Cross Drilled and Slotted rotors
    Gone through 3 sets of wheels already from 18x10s to current 20x8.5....still experimenting

Liked
    63 times
    Images

My dad's truck has a similar sound. It always drives me nuts, but I haven't actually looked at his brake pedal to see what's up with it.
    2000 Tundra SR5 2WD... Camburg UCAs, Camburg 2.5" coil-overs, Deaver 10-packs, Bilstein 5100s, Moog LBJs, BFG A/T 285/75/16s, TRD bead-lock wheels, K&N air filter, 18" MagnaFlow muffler, clear corners, Sylvania fog/headlights, full LED conversion, Kenwood head unit & 6-3/4" 3-way speakers, Sound Ordnance B-8PT 8" subwoofer, Coverking neoprene seat covers... so far...

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My 2006 Tundra AC does the exact same thing as well. It happens at every single stop, but only does it while in gear. If I try pumping the brakes while in park, no noise what-so-ever. My dealer without troubleshooting further thinks it's the brake booster, but I haven't crawled up under the inspect it myself yet. Starting to get real annoying though!
    2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 4x4

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by shen View Post
    So did you get it fixed by Toyota? Do you have the invoice showing the part number and what the cost was? I've had the same problem since I bought my '03 Tundra last June. I've try lubricating it, and looked under, but was unable to find the problem still.

There is nothing to fix. your hearing a relay relaying a message to the brake lights. Nothing wrong, nothing to fix, just understand the brake light relay clicks like it should when your on the brakes. When you stop hearing this you should get it checked out, your lights probably aren't working.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mytundrarocks View Post
    There is nothing to fix. your hearing a relay relaying a message to the brake lights. Nothing wrong, nothing to fix, just understand the brake light relay clicks like it should when your on the brakes. When you stop hearing this you should get it checked out, your lights probably aren't working.

they said, there is nothing to fix it. its just like that...that is the sound coming from the relay..but yeah..it sounds annoying though...

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shen View Post
    No, they didnt fix it. they said its really from the break relay..

Liked
    18 times
    Images

I think my owners manual talks about how this is a normal occurance.
    TRUCK: 2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4 White ext, Dark Grey int.
    OPTIONS: FE, CK, DJ, CC, JC, KE, LD, OF, PG, PN, DK, Z1
    MODS: Tint (20% Front, 50% Rear) Westin In-Channel Vent Visors AVS Rear Window Vent Visors Clarion NX500 w/back up camera Interior 5K LED Conversion - Front 5100s - 18x9 Method Racing MR301 wheels - 285/65/18 Yokohama Geolandar ATS - TorzaTop HardHat Folding Tonno Cover

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    24 times

hi 2x .
    i already asked & they said it normal.
    i din't belive them.
    so they took me around, started up a few & i seen it was normal, or so i thought.
    now that some of you say it's not. so i wonder.
    it's been there since brand new.
    maybe there is a issue, but so far, it's been just that click.
    now you would think after 5+ years, whatever it is, would go bad/defective.
    nope, same tiny sound click.
    whatever, i only hear it, when my audio is off. LOL ;-)
    but always to be on the safe side with anything always have it checked out, no matter what it is.
    gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by mytundrarocks View Post

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by camnowell View Post
    My 2006 Tundra AC does the exact same thing as well. It happens at every single stop, but only does it while in gear. If I try pumping the brakes while in park, no noise what-so-ever. My dealer without troubleshooting further thinks it's the brake booster, but I haven't crawled up under the inspect it myself yet. Starting to get real annoying though!

Guys, my truck is the same where it only happens in gear. And not in park or when the motor is off. I would think that if it's indeed the brake relay, it would happen all the time (as long as the ignition is on)?

Also just to clarify, this is not a single click that I'm hearing, which I've heard in the past in some other cars whenever the brake is actuated. The click is a series of clicks...something like 10 clicks or so...sounds like the clicking sound when you activate the emergency brake (just not as loud), or more of a ratchet sound like the ratchet wrench. I guess it's clicks with the plural here sound when I push the brake pedal down, and also series of clicks when the pedal is release.

So do you guys still think this is brake relay? And is every Tundra owner hearing the same thing? When I first went shopping for my Tundra, I've driven a few. None of them made this clicking sound. Even the Tundra I bought, it was perfectly fine for the first month, then it just started clicking after about a month later.
    2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4x2 4.7
    FM 40s w/o resonator
    5100 set @ 2.5"
    Hawk LTS brake pads
    Power Stop Cross Drilled and Slotted rotors
    Gone through 3 sets of wheels already from 18x10s to current 20x8.5....still experimenting

Liked
    1 times

When my '04 DC LTD is in gear and I've pushed the service brake peddle in, I do hear 'one' click. It too sounds like a ratchet, but I figured it was the brake relay activating the brake lights. Park on level ground, engage the E-Brake, have someone stand behind and to the side of the truck, start the truck and press lightly on the peddle, not enough to hear the 'click.' Ask if the brake lights are on, (I bet they're not). Now press the peddle until you hear the click; Now the brake lights should be on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast