How to increase HP and gas mileage in Tundra

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: How to increase HP and gas mileage in Tundra

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default How to increase HP and gas mileage in Tundra

Besides the supercharger which I can't afford, , what are reasonably affordable ways to increase horsepower, performance and gas mileage in the V-8 Tundra?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Mac
    Besides the supercharger which I can't afford, , what are reasonably affordable ways to increase horsepower, performance and gas mileage in the V-8 Tundra?
    Stone Mountain headers $200 or JBA headers $475!
    Performance muffler of your choice welded in place of the stock muffler $100.
    Remove the 90-degree elbow in fender, free.
    Cut out top of tongue in lower section of filter box, free.
    stock exhaust
    Formerly Modified JBA headers now SSautochrome headers temporarily
    TRD LSD
    Extang lift off tonneau
    Hankook DynaPro AS RH03
    stock air filter & box

220 HP @ 4800 RPM
    302 TQ @ 3400 RPM
    Run With Spintech Sportsman XL muffler, stock air filter, and JBA headers

208 HP @ 4800 RPM
    285 TQ @ 3400 RPM
    Run With Spintech Sportsman XL muffler, TRD air filter, and stock manifolds

204 HP @ 4800 RPM
    271 TQ @ 3400 RPM
    Bone stock

Quarter mile 15.526 @ 87.17 mph bone stock in 40-degree weather 2WD SR5 V8.
    Quarter mile 15.389 @ 88.66 mph modified in 60-degree weather 2WD SR5 V8.

0-60 IN 6.88 seconds on G-tech
    Dyno run results click here

KLS
    Liked
    4 times

Larry,

Why do you assume that Toyota's engineers left out anthing to improve power and fuel consumption that was legal, drivable, and affordable?

You can do a couple of things to improve power. There isn't much you can do to improve fuel consumption. You can spend a lot of money, but if fuel consumption is an issue, then the cost of modifications is also an issue, and the only thing you can do to save fuel that pays for itself is to avoid carrying unneccesary weight in the truck, air up the tires, and drive slower.

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

According to the JC whitney catalog, you can increase horsepower and fuel economy by buying one of their glasspack mufflers for $17. What a bunch of baloney. Havent they updated their catalog in the last 30 years? I got a glasspack on my tercel and now its got low idle and less power!

Liked
    1 times
    Images

If you really want to increase fuel economy, buy a new Prius, if you want more power buy a Diesel.

Some things in life just don't go hand in hand, it like people asking a H2 owner what they get for mileage? Who cares, you paid $60K for the vehicle, does it matter if you only get 8 mpg?

Just my opinion, if you bought a truck, fuel economy shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

More power, sure I can understand that, but how much do you want?
    1996 T100, 203,000 and counting

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    705 times
    Images

yeah, i agree...it's one of those "if you gotta ask, you can't afford it" kind of things...the best way to conserve gas is don't goose it unless you need to, don't drive unnecessarily, and factor fuel consumption in to your activities so you know how much things really cost--lunch for five bucks costs more than five bucks if it's halfway across town, for example.
    i don't need to drive much, so i don't worry about mileage, just the monthly expense for gas--two tanks in a month for the usuals, and the rest gets factored in to playtime expenses under the "if you gotta ask, you can't afford it" heading. i will also buy gas in advance if it's cheap, just stash it for when the price jumps from 1.30 to 1.70 overnight, then i can enjoy a hearty laugh when i drive by the pumps with the needle on E.

now on the other side of the coin...around here it's easy to get pump shock, as they change the prices ~20c/gal every week or two, and it's not a gradual change, either, it's an overnight change. after a while it's not shocking, it just makes me cynical--as if i need to be more cynical --so i do understand the desire for better mileage. why? for the principle of it, and besides, well, why the @#$! not? i want my cake and i will eat it, too. there is no "karma law" that states a comfortable, powerful vehicle must get terrible mileage...you are limited only by physics and the depth of your pockets (or your ingenuity in overcoming shallow pockets and marketing scams).

-sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: How to increase HP and gas mileage in Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by DevinSixtySeven
    yeah, i agree...it's one of those "if you gotta ask, you can't afford it" kind of things...the best way to conserve gas is don't goose it unless you need to, don't drive unnecessarily, and factor fuel consumption in to your activities so you know how much things really cost--lunch for five bucks costs more than five bucks if it's halfway across town, for example.
    i don't need to drive much, so i don't worry about mileage, just the monthly expense for gas--two tanks in a month for the usuals, and the rest gets factored in to playtime expenses under the "if you gotta ask, you can't afford it" heading. i will also buy gas in advance if it's cheap, just stash it for when the price jumps from 1.30 to 1.70 overnight, then i can enjoy a hearty laugh when i drive by the pumps with the needle on E.

now on the other side of the coin...around here it's easy to get pump shock, as they change the prices ~20c/gal every week or two, and it's not a gradual change, either, it's an overnight change. after a while it's not shocking, it just makes me cynical--as if i need to be more cynical --so i do understand the desire for better mileage. why? for the principle of it, and besides, well, why the @#$! not? i want my cake and i will eat it, too. there is no "karma law" that states a comfortable, powerful vehicle must get terrible mileage...you are limited only by physics and the depth of your pockets (or your ingenuity in overcoming shallow pockets and marketing scams).

-sean
    With the dohc and 4 valves per cylinder I would think this 4.7 would have all the technology to deliver better mileage. Chevy can do it with a push rod 2 valve engine.
    Thas not my question though. You always hear of installing a new air filter to improve mileage. With the mass air flow sensor, atmospheric pressure sensor, and O2 sensors adjusting the injectors for correct stoichmetrics, why should the filter affect mileage. I took the air filter out of my lincoln on a trip that I regularly take and know that cars mileage. I found no difference. A friend spent $50 some dollars on a K&N filter for his Accord and claims it improved his mileage by 2 mph. Anyone have any Ideas.

Liked
    96 times

Quote Originally Posted by KLS
    Larry,

Why do you assume that Toyota's engineers left out anthing to improve power and fuel consumption that was legal, drivable, and affordable?

You can do a couple of things to improve power. There isn't much you can do to improve fuel consumption. You can spend a lot of money, but if fuel consumption is an issue, then the cost of modifications is also an issue, and the only thing you can do to save fuel that pays for itself is to avoid carrying unneccesary weight in the truck, air up the tires, and drive slower.

Ken
    Ken makes great points here. Toyota engineers did a good job with these trucks.

Liked
    34 times

Quote Originally Posted by H2O_MAN
    Ken makes great points here. Toyota engineers did a good job with these trucks.
    I have to agree with Ken also.

Liked
    8 times

Trucks are not designed primarily (and secondarily) for fuel mileage for two reasons:

- They are not at all aerodynamic (brick in the wind)

- They are heavy

- The engines are calibrated more so to tow and haul stuff, rather than unloaded driving, so they don't and can't be run as lean as passenger car engines (detonation, pinging).

On older carbureted trucks you could crank some decent timing into the engine if you drove around without any extra weight, but as soon as you loaded the engine more (weight, towing) you would have to pull out the spark timing to avoid detonation. My old 87 toyota pickup with a carbureted 22R would get 32 mpg with the timing cranked up, but I would have to adjust the distributor back as soon as I loaded up the truck to keep the pistons from being pulverized. The stock timing would only get me 25 mpg.

The manufacturers designed our trucks to be trucks and not cars, so be happy if you get 18mpg out of your empty-bedded everyday driven Tundra!
    2007 Tundra 5.7 4x2 RCSB slate metallic
    2005 Corolla - all stock, cause it's the wifes
    1986 Mustang GT - the stereo is under the hood
    1995 Mercury Villager - the man van

Liked
    0 times

I haven't heard of, or tried, anything that increases mileage dramatically. Checking tire air pressure religiously and driving conservatively are the only two givens. Interestingly, I get my best fuel mileage when I'm loaded down. Probably more of a factor of all the freeway driving, but when I'm off to Utah or Colorado on my annual deer hunts, I have gotten up to 21 mpg. This is with all my hunting and camping gear which includes a very heavy canvas wall tent. I'm probably right up against the recommended GVWR. I'll go from SB, CA to Colorado, hunt for a week, then return and average 18 mpg. I do allow for a couple of days to get there and back, so I average 70 mph or under.
    2011 Tundra Limited Double-Cab: Line-X bed liner; Prodigy brake controller; Husky Liners WeatherBeater; Superhides front seat covers in Mossy Oak Shadowgrass; Prestigious Society rear camera controller & nav unit enhancement; Yakima Outdoorsman 300 (Compact) truck bed racks.

Liked
    0 times

improve power, get a turbo.

improve gas milage, always keep it under 2200 rpms. especially while accelerating. "pu55yfooting"

"pussyfooting" with a turbo is surprisingly fuel friendly.

ps. more hp + fuel economy = oxymoron
    MODS: (TRD Urban package) - tint, stereo, jack-in-the box antennae ball, and my middle finger.

~ been there, done that, got the panties ~

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Why are you guys such jerks. The guy asked a legitimate question. Everyone knows to increase HP and Mileage, all you have to do is...

1. Install a "Tornado" in the intake
    2. Change your oil to synthetic
    3. Use a K&N Air filter
    4. Use the most expensive spark plugs you can find
    5. Get a Hyper Ground kit
    6. And the most important...you need to install TRD, K&N, and Bilstein decals all over your truck. Each decal is worth 5hp easy.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Steamboatsig
    Why are you guys such jerks. The guy asked a legitimate question. Everyone knows to increase HP and Mileage, all you have to do is...

3. Use a K&N Air filter
    6. And the most important...you need to install TRD, K&N, and Bilstein decals all over your truck. Each decal is worth 5hp easy.
    MODS: (TRD Urban package) - tint, stereo, jack-in-the box antennae ball, and my middle finger.

~ been there, done that, got the panties ~

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Steamboatsig

3. Use a K&N Air filter
    And for us "old" guys:

7. Can of STP
    8. water injection
    9. Take the hub-caps off
    10. Flip breather cover upside down and re-mount
    11. Date skinny girls
    12. Drink lite beer

RE
    2012 Camry SE
    Bone-stock 05 Access Cab Tundra, V-8, 4x4, TRD Off-Road w/LSD, Spectra Blue Mica

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-24-2013, 03:51 PM
  2. 01-15-2012, 11:34 AM
  3. 06-24-2011, 06:22 PM
  4. 04-23-2011, 12:07 PM
  5. 02-09-2011, 03:08 PM
  6. 03-08-2009, 10:10 AM
  7. 03-08-2009, 09:37 AM
  8. 03-08-2009, 06:20 AM
  9. 03-08-2009, 05:39 AM
  10. 03-08-2009, 01:14 AM
  11. 03-06-2009, 02:25 AM