Question 06 Tundra 'Jerks' on acceleration at hwy speed

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 06 Tundra 'Jerks' on acceleration at hwy speed

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 06 Tundra 'Jerks' on acceleration at hwy speed

I have an '06 Dbl-Cab Tundra with approx. 93k miles. Recently it began 'stumbling' on acceleration at highway speeds. I tried to be more attentive, and notice that it only happens at a speed of 50-60mph, approx 2000-2200rpm, when I ease down on the accelerator to slightly increase speed. It makes no difference what terrain (level or hill). I have no active codes, and the light has not come on. It feels like a misfire, but I can't rule-out the transmission shifting somehow and causing it, because I don't 'hear' anything, just feel the 'jerk'. Afterwards, I can accelerate and decelerate just fine with no more hesitation or jerking.
    Oh yea, to make it more perplexing, it doesn't always happen. It may happen several times one day, then not again for a week.
    I don't have any specialty Toyota tools, but I do have digital multi-meters, digital-storage o-scope, code-reader (Autozone model), and schematics from alldata if someone could point me in the right direction toward something to check.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2943 times
    Images

Default Re: 06 Tundra 'Jerks' on acceleration at hwy speed

It could be an issue with the torque converter and/or shift solenoids. I strongly urge you to do an Auto-Rx treatment, run it for 1,000-1,500 miles, then flush your tranny with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. The link to purchase is in my sig line.
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 02-26-2011 at 10:13 PM.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    2203 times
    Images

X2 what Remmy said. You may also want to clean the MAF and Throttle Body.

Tundra Fuel Economy: Cleaning the MAF and Throttle Body

Tundra Fuel Economy: MAF Sensor and Throttle Body Cleaning
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Supporter
    Liked
    28 times

I would check your throttle body. Take that sucker off and give it a really good cleaning. That many miles it isn't uncommon, and my Dad's truck (220,000 miles) did the same thing, but probably not as bad. Take that whole thing off, spray the inside out and clean it really well.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

+1 on cleaning throttle body. Also disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes to let the ECU reset, and have it relearn everything.

Liked
    2480 times
    Images

"Tundra Jerks" sounds like a new forum.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    3 times

change pcv valve if you have not change it lately. check & regap spark plug if you don't want to replace them.
    Last edited by buglao; 02-28-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions! I disconnected battery cable for about an hour while I cleaned the MAF-Sensor and throttle-body. They were both VERY dirty!
    I'm on my second tank of gas since this service, so it's probably still 'learning' everything again, but so-far it has not been jerking anymore. Hopefully I will see a little improvement in fuel economy also. I'm getting right at 15mpg. Just over 16mpg was the best I remember seeing, but that was shortly after I bought it.
    On the spark-plug thing. I bought a set of those Pulstar plugs and tried them last year. Within 1 month one had failed. They were kind enough to replace the entire set, but I never noticed any additional power or better fuel economy. After 3 months I had another one fail, and just put the factory irridium plugs back in. Haven't had an issue since. So if anyone's considering those, I wouldn't waste the $180. At least not for a Tundra.
    Thanks again to everyone for the help.