Mobil1 75-90W gear oil

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Mobil1 75-90W gear oil

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    526 times
    Images

Default Mobil1 75-90W gear oil

so i bought 3qts anticipating changing my Front Diff and the Tx case...

the label says LS (for limited slip). is there anything to be concerned over? i hope the LS, that is an additive, won't be needed - or hurt my components in the Tx and Front Diff.
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supercharged Member italiantundra88's Avatar
    Liked
    453 times
    Images

Default Re: Mobil1 75-90W gear oil

Quote Originally Posted by 2003bajatundra4x4ac View Post
    so i bought 3qts anticipating changing my Front Diff and the Tx case...

the label says LS (for limited slip). is there anything to be concerned over? i hope the LS, that is an additive, won't be needed - or hurt my components in the Tx and Front Diff.
    well not an expert but i would say the fact that they make different oils for lsd vs open means something and probably shouldnt be interchanged
    07 Tundra Limited DC 5.7 TRD Off Road
    All interior leds, led reverse lights, black headlight mod, custom homemade led third brake light, morimoto mini H1 projector retrofit with 5000k hids, 6000k 55w hid fogs, debadged, 2010 sport color matching grill, 2 sundown sd 10s in a fox under seat box, afe stage 2 cold air intake, super 44 flowmasters dumped after rear axel, tundra racing rear flip leveling kit, 22" black rhino traverse, tundra racing helper bag kit (made to fit their level kits)...

Seafoam how to
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...eafoam-how-to/

Quote Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
    she got mad when i came home and sat in the truck before going inside to see her... i guess the tundra just requires less money and maintenance.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
    The sad part is, when I googled "blowmaster" images a picture of my truck comes up, fail.

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1526 times

You can use LS oil in an open differential, but if you use non LS oil in a limited slip differential, you will experience chatter while going around corners.
    Attention environmentalists, reduce emissions from this:

Supercharged Member italiantundra88's Avatar
    Liked
    453 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Creosote View Post
    You can use LS oil in an open differential, but if you use non LS oil in a limited slip differential, you will experience chatter while going around corners.
    good to kno
    07 Tundra Limited DC 5.7 TRD Off Road
    All interior leds, led reverse lights, black headlight mod, custom homemade led third brake light, morimoto mini H1 projector retrofit with 5000k hids, 6000k 55w hid fogs, debadged, 2010 sport color matching grill, 2 sundown sd 10s in a fox under seat box, afe stage 2 cold air intake, super 44 flowmasters dumped after rear axel, tundra racing rear flip leveling kit, 22" black rhino traverse, tundra racing helper bag kit (made to fit their level kits)...

Seafoam how to
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...eafoam-how-to/

Quote Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
    she got mad when i came home and sat in the truck before going inside to see her... i guess the tundra just requires less money and maintenance.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
    The sad part is, when I googled "blowmaster" images a picture of my truck comes up, fail.

Liked
    526 times
    Images

so... for the rest of us.

LS is UNIVERSAL to any application calling for 75-90W.

limited slip diff, Tx, front diff.....

The Friendly Dragon by the Sea Puffnstuff's Avatar
    Liked
    179 times
    Images

Just for future reference the synthetic mobil gear oil needs the additive when using it in the toyota lsd in the rear. If you don't add the friction modifier it will chatter even though the label says its compatible with a limited slip diff.
    RIP 2006 Tundra DC with: Eclipse AVN5500 Navigation System, Kicker IX500.4 driving infinity kappa 60.9cs door speakers, Kenwood KAC-X20 driving an infinity kappa 100.9w sub in sound ordnance bass bunker, UWS Black Deep Toolbox, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Rugged Liner Bed Liner, AVS chrome bug shield, EGR in channel vent visors, Ballistic Enigma 20x9 wheels & Nitto nt420 285/50R20 tires, Hellwig 7697 & 7700 sway bars, Stinger SPP2150 Battery, Big 3 wire upgrade with 1/0 Raptor, Rancho RS5000 struts/shocks, Dynomax VT 17956 muffler, EBC Slotted Sport Rotors & Yellowstuff Kevlar pads, Russell SS brake lines, Cheetah GPS Mirror

Liked
    526 times
    Images

thanks guys. i run RP in the lsd and didn't have to add the modifier. no chatter yet. last time i filled with lucas and a tube the chatter returned in 14 months=8k miles.

i was concerned that the additive might be for the lsd ONLY.

Liked
    33 times

I'll 2nd adding the friction modifier for LSD diffy's regardless of what the bottle says.

Liked
    2942 times
    Images

Just did the rear diff service with Mobil 1 75W90 LS Gear Oil today. Piece of cake.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    2479 times
    Images

That oil is safe for use with open differentials all day, as is, right out the bottle. If you have an LSD, you just need to squirt a tube of friction modifier additive which is safe to use in conjunction with the oil. ONLY if you have LSD you need it, with open diffs you are fine.
    excellent oil by the way.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    526 times
    Images

thanks for all the replies. when i said this, "i was concerned that the additive might be for the lsd ONLY." i was refering to the LS (limited slip) on the bottle of gear oil. sounded confusing....

it's going in the Tx and front diff this week.

Liked
    2942 times
    Images

* * * REAR DIFFERENTIAL REFILL -- FYI * * *
    To properly refill your rear differential, the OEM repair manual specs the fill level to be less than 5mm (0.20 in.) from the lip of the fill hole. What isn't said (but is inferred) is that this applies to vehicles on stock suspensions and at stock height. Those with vehicles with a front end lift may achieve a more accurate fill by jacking up the rear of the vehicle somewhat (1.0"-1.5") when refilling the rear differential to account for this difference. (I understand that a proper pinion angle should negate this, but you never know...)

When I did mine, this height difference allowed an additional 0.5-0.6 quarts to be added (that's 12-15% by volume, not an insignificant amount!)
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 04-14-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    526 times
    Images

M1 installed yesterday.