How to replace the spark plugs

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: How to replace the spark plugs

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Question How to replace the spark plugs

I have a 2001 Tundra V8 4.7 access cab. It has about 108K on it (I bought it a few days ago) and I do not think that the spark plugs have never been replaced. I understand that the OEM NGK Irridium are the best. The only thing I do not know is how to replace them. Is that difficult? I am a handy man and good with tools. How can I replace them?

Thank you,

A.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Default Re: How to replace the spark plugs

These trucks are very easy to change plugs on. Go slow, pay attention, and do them one-at-a-time. There are four coils on each valve cover (if you have the V8). Remove the fasteners on each coil, pull straight up, removing the coil and "tube". Then get at the plug with a spark plug socket attached to an extension. I like to tape the socket to the extension, due to a previous disaster on another vehicle, that involved removing the intake to retrieve the socket that I managed to hopelessly jam in the hole. My truck performs very well on the cheapo, non-iridium Denso plugs. I also like to add a touch of anti-seize compound to the threads of the new plugs.
    Your actions speak so loudly, I can't hear what you're saying.

Liked
    6 times

If you don't have a torque wrench, now is the time to buy one. When you torque a fastener, pull evenly on the wrench until you reach the desired value. Just my 2 cents...

Liked
    2853 times
    Images

Do-It-Yourself Re: How to replace the spark plugs

Here you go....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    629 times
    Images

2nd everything Bamafire said, in particular the part about the tape . I prefer electrical tape, personally!

All joking aside, it REALLY sucks to lose the rubber-lined socket down the hole on a new plug, because the only ways to get it out are either remove the plug you just installed, or try tape over the end of the socket extension to get more friction between socket and extension than suction between the plug and the plug liner in the socket. Grumble.

A u-joint is really handy for the driver's side rear plug, if you have ABS.

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC