Vibration at 30 to 40 mph

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibration at 30 to 40 mph

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Default Vibration at 30 to 40 mph

I just purchased a used 2006 Tundra with 12,000 miles on it. After having it for a few days I noticed a harsh vibration at or near 35 to 42 mph. It feels like you are driving over the lines that are cut in the road when approching a stop sign. If you get through this speed it's not there. It seems to get more noticable as the truck warms up.
    Of course I didn't purchase it from a Toyota dealer near by.
    I heard that there were problems with the touque converters and that Toyota is standing behind this problem and installing new converters?
    I'm going to be contacting the local dealer to see what they will do.
    Anyone have this problem? and what was done by the distributor?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Default Re: Vibration at 30 to 40 mph

Not tire related?

Liked
    1 times

As stated above..... Check to see if there is abnormal wear on your tires (i.e. outside wearing faster that the rest). That would be due to either an alignment issue or unbalanced wheels.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

No, I don't think it's the tires. I can stop the vibration by either letting up on the gas petal or slowly increase speed. It almost feels like it happens when you reach that speed and it shifts to the last or highest gear.
    The whole truck shakes like you were driving across railroad tracks, or like I said the grooves cut into a road when approching a stop sign.
    Once I get through that speed (38 to 42 MPH) I can run up to 80 mph with no shake or vibration.

Liked
    2902 times
    Images

Driveshaft threw a balance weight?
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

If it threw a balance weight it would get worse the faster you went, and the vibration always there.
    Once I get through that area of speed it's doesn't vibrate. I can run it right up to high speed without vibration.

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mddubins View Post
    If it threw a balance weight it would get worse the faster you went, and the vibration always there.
    Not necessarily. It would be real cheap to look.

I'd also consider having the tires looked at. Road force balanced. Checked for separated belts etc., 12,000 miles in 6 years means a LOT of time sitting around getting dry rot. I personally prefer to start with the cheaper easy stuff before I started tearing in to the transmission/torque converter.

I had an 05 D/C (my sons now) since new and currently also have an 06 D/C and have never heard of a torque converter issue with these trucks. A quick search here doesn't find anything either.
    Last edited by David Jones; 09-07-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Liked
    2142 times
    Images

I think the drive train is a good place to start looking as well as the tires. In addition to checking to see if a weight is missing from the drive shaft I would recommend checking the U-joints as well. The fact that it happens when under load and disappears when you lift from the accelerator leads me to believe it is drive train related and not so much the wheels.

Good luck and let us know what you find out - your solution could help another member later on down the road.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    2902 times
    Images

That's not true. The harmonic nature of rotational imbalances could easily cause the vibration to be more pronounced within a certain RPM band.

Once I get through that area of speed it's doesn't vibrate. I can run it right up to high speed without vibration.
    This leads me to believe it might be driveline related rather than in the tire/wheel. However, it's best to address the easiest/cheapest possibilities first. Have the wheels/tires balanced, inspect the driveshaft for missing balance weights and loose/rattling/dry u-joints, and report back what you find.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Mddubbins , here's another cheap and easy thing to check in the driveline - check to see the two halves of the drive shaft are in 'phase'. That is - the yokes at each end of ths drive shaft are positioned exactly the same. If the yoke on the front of the drive shaft is sitting at the 3:00 o'clock and 9:00 o'clock position then the yoke at the other end of the drive shaft should also be at the 3:00 and 9:00 position.
    If you find them to be 90* off from one end to the other then that would most definitly cause a vibration at speeds between 30-40. If you find this to be the case then you would need to drop the drive shaft , pull it apart and then re-assemble with yokes in line with one another. Also this would be a good time to replace the U-joints as they would have been damaged by the vibration.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'm haveing the same problem with my 02 tundra, strange vibration at 30 - 40 and its not at the same rotational speed as the tires and drive line. It is kind of like when your comming up on a toll plaza on the highway with the spaced out rumble strips.
    02 toyota tundra V8
    06 toyota RAV4 V6

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Ok, I'm trying to "play" with this and here's more information.
    If I leave the truck with the overdrive on on I get this virbration. If I drive with the overdrive off it's not there at any speed. Seems to only be there with the overdrive on.
    This tends to point at the transmission or touque converter.
    Is there an external source or devise that allows the transmission to shift in and out of overdrive?
    I find it hard to belive that the transmission is an issue with on 12K on the truck.
    Another thing is could the over drive on the transmission be "sticking" due to lack of use?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

I took the truck into the local dealer to have them look at it. They too also felt the vibration at the 35-42 mph.
    They checked the drive shaft first, and said it was dry so the lubricated it but didn’t solve the problem. They checked for lost or broken off balance weights but all was fine.
    They then flushed the transmission to see if new fluid would help. When flushing they are able to look at a “in place filter”, but no metal was found. This also didn’t cure the vibration.
    They also did not feel any vibration when the O/D was shutoff. They say it’s the high speed clutches that are sticking and will most likely need a transmission replaced.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

have you check if its a burned valve?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Burned valve? In the engine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast