Diesel swap has been done!

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel swap has been done!

Liked
    0 times

Default Diesel swap has been done!

Have you guys seen this?

Toyota : Tundra | eBay

I was under the impression that noone had done this yet, and I just saw it on eBay! Now this might be old news to you guys, and If I'm just somehow oblivious to obvious knowledge then you can go ahead and delete this thread.

But a 4BD2 in a tundra? That's pretty crazy! What do you guys think?
    2000 Tundra SR5 TRD. Bilstein 5100's at 2.5", American Racing Baja 16x8 Dayton Mud Terrains 285/75/R16

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    29 times
    Images

Default Re: Diesel swap has been done!

I have read about a few on some diesel swap forums,but never seen any photographic proof, cool find!

Liked
    276 times
    Images

I want to see some pics of the trans and rear axle, looks very cool!
    2001 Black AC V8 4x4

Current Mods: 5100s on 4th Notch, Diff Drop, Poly Rack Bushings, Recon Tailgate LED Bar, Edelbrock Exhaust, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/R16, Blacked Out Emblems, Color Matched Mirror Caps, Bumpers and Front Grill, Skid Row Skid Plate (Thanks to four_by_four), Full Blue LED interior lighting, Herculiner Bed Liner, Kobalt Low Profile Tool Box, Smitty Built Rear Shackle, Walmart Front AUX lights, JVC Headunit, Kicker Front Components, Pioneer Rear Speakers, Magnefine Filter, Viper Remote Start, Single in-Dual out 2.25in Exhaust
    Thanks to Rust: New Frame, New Calipers, New Rear Axle, Sway Bar End Links, Tailgate Straps, Patched Bed Floor
    Quote Originally Posted by italiantundra88 View Post
    dave, every one has a weekness, yours is just any work on your truck

Liked
    4 times

I think i'd rather see a new ecoboost v6 under the hood...that would be a really potent combination...365hp and 410 ft lbs of tq...plusawesome mpg.

Supercharged Member italiantundra88's Avatar
    Liked
    456 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Snips View Post
    I think i'd rather see a new ecoboost v6 under the hood...that would be a really potent combination...365hp and 410 ft lbs of tq...plusawesome mpg.
    such blasphemy eco boost pffff. how bout a 5.7 (i know one of the guys did it)
    07 Tundra Limited DC 5.7 TRD Off Road
    All interior leds, led reverse lights, black headlight mod, custom homemade led third brake light, morimoto mini H1 projector retrofit with 5000k hids, 6000k 55w hid fogs, debadged, 2010 sport color matching grill, 2 sundown sd 10s in a fox under seat box, afe stage 2 cold air intake, super 44 flowmasters dumped after rear axel, tundra racing rear flip leveling kit, 22" black rhino traverse, tundra racing helper bag kit (made to fit their level kits)...

Seafoam how to
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...eafoam-how-to/

Quote Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
    she got mad when i came home and sat in the truck before going inside to see her... i guess the tundra just requires less money and maintenance.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
    The sad part is, when I googled "blowmaster" images a picture of my truck comes up, fail.

Liked
    63 times
    Images

I've been having sick nasty thoughts about putting a diesel in my truck (if my motor ever breaks). This truck is only like an hour away from me. I'd like to see this thing in person! Anybody know of anybody else doing this? I'd really be interested in a Hilux/Tundra swap.
    2000 Tundra SR5 2WD... Camburg UCAs, Camburg 2.5" coil-overs, Deaver 10-packs, Bilstein 5100s, Moog LBJs, BFG A/T 285/75/16s, TRD bead-lock wheels, K&N air filter, 18" MagnaFlow muffler, clear corners, Sylvania fog/headlights, full LED conversion, Kenwood head unit & 6-3/4" 3-way speakers, Sound Ordnance B-8PT 8" subwoofer, Coverking neoprene seat covers... so far...

Liked
    2274 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Snips View Post
    My understanding in speaking to a few guys here in Indy who have the new ecoboost is that it does not deliver in the MPG department. I think all EPA numbers are generous and far from the real world driving conditions we live in so this is not directed solely at ford. Did you know that the "highway" MPG number is generated from an average speed of 48 MPH with the engine already hot from previous driving? http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ing-standards/ At 48 MPH on flat ground my truck gets 32 MPG and sometimes even more.

I just read the ad on eBay and it states that the truck gets 25 MPG. I have a DC 4x4 with the weakest engine ever put in a Tundra and a 4 speed transmission and I still manage 21-22 MPG at 65 MPH on the highway which is not too far from the 25 MPG stated for the diesel. I have a few more mods up my sleeve and feel that I am within comfortable striking distance of 25 MPG. Even so, props to whoever did it. The only reason I would do the diesel swap would be to run WVO but now fewer and fewer restaurants will let you get the oil from their dumpsters.
    Last edited by Highwaylizard; 09-11-2011 at 06:19 AM.
    http://septemberskyband.blogspot.com/
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Supercharged Member italiantundra88's Avatar
    Liked
    456 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
    My understanding in speaking to a few guys here in Indy who have the new ecoboost is that it does not deliver in the MPG department. I think all EPA numbers are generous and far from the real world driving conditions we live in so this is not directed solely at ford. Did you know that the "highway" MPG number is generated from an average speed of 48 MPH with the engine already hot from previous driving? http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ing-standards/ At 48 MPH on flat ground my truck gets 32 MPG and sometimes even more.

I just read the ad on eBay and it states that the truck gets 25 MPG. I have a DC 4x4 with the weakest engine ever put in a Tundra and a 4 speed transmission and I still manage 21-22 MPG at 65 MPH on the highway which is not too far from the 25 MPG stated for the diesel. I have a few more mods up my sleeve and feel that I am within comfortable striking distance of 25 MPG. Even so, props to whoever did it. The only reason I would do the diesel swap would be to run WVO but now fewer and fewer restaurants will let you get the oil from their dumpsters.
    highway if you want to pick up 1 mpg throw on some headers. i didnt see them in your signature. i put ebay headers on my truck and while i set the cruise at 80 vs 65 i saw a 6% increase in mpg at that speed. (14.7-15.6) might see a great increase at lower speeds
    07 Tundra Limited DC 5.7 TRD Off Road
    All interior leds, led reverse lights, black headlight mod, custom homemade led third brake light, morimoto mini H1 projector retrofit with 5000k hids, 6000k 55w hid fogs, debadged, 2010 sport color matching grill, 2 sundown sd 10s in a fox under seat box, afe stage 2 cold air intake, super 44 flowmasters dumped after rear axel, tundra racing rear flip leveling kit, 22" black rhino traverse, tundra racing helper bag kit (made to fit their level kits)...

Seafoam how to
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...eafoam-how-to/

Quote Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
    she got mad when i came home and sat in the truck before going inside to see her... i guess the tundra just requires less money and maintenance.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
    The sad part is, when I googled "blowmaster" images a picture of my truck comes up, fail.

Liked
    95 times
    Images

Regardless of gas mileage or mpg of this diesel convension I like his set up.
    2006 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4 - TRD supercharged, TRD BBK, TRD exhaust, 7009 navi w/custom JBL wire harness + OEM XM/Sirus radio, and many other mods.

Liked
    2274 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by italiantundra88 View Post
    highway if you want to pick up 1 mpg throw on some headers. i didnt see them in your signature. i put ebay headers on my truck and while i set the cruise at 80 vs 65 i saw a 6% increase in mpg at that speed. (14.7-15.6) might see a great increase at lower speeds
    Working on getting a set of headers along with some electric fans. In the middle of testing something right now but will see the highway MPG's return to 22-23 MPG fairly soon and the headers and electric fans should push me past 25 MPG.

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Looks like a a clean swap.

Liked
    1 times

It should be considered that diesel fuel is more expensive than regular unleaded.

Where I live, the cheapest diesel averages around 40 cents per gallon more than regular. It is typically more costly than super unleaded.

So, with that factored in, the diesel is only getting an adjusted mpg of around 21 instead of 25 highway. Certainly takes some of the luster away in my opinion.
    2005 double cab 4x4. Nfab, debo step, bak flip, bedrug, bilstein, tints

Liked
    16 times
    Images

Highwaylizard do you have a thread with tips on MPG improvement or smth? I got 01 older one but seems cant get above 14.5MPG driving 50/50 cycle.
    Thank you Middletown Toyota in Middletown, CT for painless and quick frame replacement, and awesome customer service.

New mods: Air Lift air spring kit + onboard compressor.

Liked
    2274 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vincas2005 View Post
    Highwaylizard do you have a thread with tips on MPG improvement or smth? I got 01 older one but seems cant get above 14.5MPG driving 50/50 cycle.
    Fuel Economy - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

Tundra Fuel Economy

I have not contributed to the blog since March but I still generate Fuel Economy data and have a few devices I am testing. I mostly hang out here at TS just to take the edge off of stress. I will get back to posting as soon as I can and am in the process of setting up a real website at which time I will transfer all the posts from the blog to the new site.

Shoot me an email with your particulars after you read through some of the stickys and other threads in the Fuel Economy Forum and I will do whatever I can to help you.

I just ran some highway numbers at 21.3 MPG at 66 MPH but overall tank average at this point is seriously sh!tty at 15 MPG - all but 48 miles (of 327) in town with AC running (the FML driving).
    Last edited by Highwaylizard; 09-13-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Liked
    29 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vincas2005 View Post
    He doesnt just have a thread... He has an ENTIRE sub-Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
    Fuel Economy - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

Tundra Fuel Economy

I have not contributed to the blog since March but I still generate Fuel Economy data and have a few devices I am testing. I mostly hang out here at TS just to take the edge of stress. I will get back to posting as soon as I can and am in the process of setting up a real website at which time I will transfer all the posts from the blog to the new site.

Shoot me an email with your particulars after you read through some of the stickys and other threads in the Fuel Economy Forum and I will do whatever I can to help you.

I just ran some highway numbers at 21.3 MPG at 66 MPH but overall tank average at this point is seriously sh!tty at 15 MPG - all but 48 miles (of 327) in town with AC running (the FML driving).
    Toby, I'm going to send you an email about your new site.

cheers

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)