When to Replace Radiator Hoses?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: When to Replace Radiator Hoses?

Liked
    0 times

Default When to Replace Radiator Hoses?

When do you guys replace your radiator hoses? The hoses on my 05 with about 84,000 miles still look ok, but I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and replace them as preventive maintenance. Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2953 times
    Images

Default Re: When to Replace Radiator Hoses?

I have a 2002, but it only has 57,000 miles on it -- with the original radiator hoses. Even though the current hoses seem fine (pliable, consistent thickness, no cracking/glazing), I thought it was time. My order for new upper and lower radiator hoses, 8 new NGK #BKR6EGP spark plugs, and new oil plug drain gaskets from Rock Auto just got dropped off this morning.

Will be picking up a gallon of Toyota Red coolant from the dealer and will be doing a drain/fill this weekend. The old hoses will be rinsed and saved in the truck box for emergency use.

BTW: I ordered the above from Rock Auto yesterday at 1200, and they were dropped off at my doorstep at 0800 this morning. THAT'S fast.
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 10-14-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Veteran Member
    Liked
    50 times
    Images

I still have my original hoses on my 2000 (12 years old) with 190,472 miles. Every now and then I'll ask a mechanic what he thinks about replacing them, and they all have said there is nothing wrong with mine still. I have wondered when the right time is though.

Liked
    52 times
    Images

I think that hoses, like rubber belts, are made of much better material than they were 20 years ago.

I remember when normal PM called for inspection of radiator hoses for cracks or swelling and replace at ~50,000 miles or less. Blown hoses were not that uncommon and I use to carry a big roll of friction tape in my trunk for that reason.
    2005 DC 4X4 SR5

Liked
    2953 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by INDYMAC View Post
    I still have my original hoses on my 2000 (12 years old) with 190,472 miles. Every now and then I'll ask a mechanic what he thinks about replacing them, and they all have said there is nothing wrong with mine still. I have wondered when the right time is though.
    That's amazing. Although, I can't recall hearing of anyone posting up a radiator hose failure either.

Anyone know who manufactures the OEM hose line? (The Rock Auto hoses are Dayco -- Made in good ole US of A)
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    407 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gnlw View Post
    When do you guys replace your radiator hoses? The hoses on my 05 with about 84,000 miles still look ok, but I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and replace them as preventive maintenance. Thanks in advance for any replies.
    1 billion miles or when they explode. Whichever comes first.
    2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
    Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner.

Liked
    164 times
    Images

I replaced mine at about 95k miles. The stock ones looked in decent shape, but with all the mud that I am in constantly it really dries out rubber parts. Cheap insurance to replace them IMO. I saw what the mud did to my serpentine belt so I figured I'd play it safe.
    Remmy700P likes this.
    New Truck Build Thread 2006 Double Cab
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...dra-build-2-a/

New Build Thread 2002 Tundra-Tundra Revamp

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...tundra-revamp/

Veteran Member
    Liked
    247 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gnlw View Post
    Leave them alone. Second timing belt change is the soonest you should think about replacing them. The quality of the hose material is much, much better than it was 20 or 30 years ago. Only the old timers remember burst hoses.
    Last edited by mibro; 10-15-2011 at 06:19 AM.

Liked
    2207 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    That's amazing. Although, I can't recall hearing of anyone posting up a radiator hose failure either.

Anyone know who manufactures the OEM hose line? (The Rock Auto hoses are Dayco -- Made in good ole US of A)
    My hoses are original and I am thinking about replacing them with the next timing belt change.
    https://www.facebook.com/septemberskyrocks
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    26 times

I replaced my hoses and antifreeze when I had the timing belt changed at 95K.

Liked
    343 times
    Images

I replaced radiator and heater hoses at 12K or so. Nothing wrong with the OEM's, I just have a habit of replacing things
    as mods... (mine are color matched for my engine details)
    JB

2000 Tundra Supercharged 4.7 TRD (Ivan) in Sunfire Red Pearl.

Long mod list, but, have some pics in my gallery here

Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the responses. I guess I still have a bunch of miles left on the hoses. Has anyone even heard of modern Toyota hoses leaking?

Liked
    2207 times
    Images

Did an oil change yesterday (BTW Costco has 6 quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic for $28) and when I took off my skid plate I noticed some rust. For awhile now I have been trying to track down the source of a faint smell of radiator fluid. I think my lower radiator hose is leaking. I hope it is the hose and not the bottom of the radiator.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rust on Skid Plate.jpg 
Views:	774 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	79556
    https://www.facebook.com/septemberskyrocks
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Veteran Member
    Liked
    50 times
    Images

My radiator had a crack about three years ago, causing coolant to pool up in the skid plate. My hoses are still good though.

Liked
    2953 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
    Did an oil change yesterday (BTW Costco has 6 quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic for $28) and when I took off my skid plate I noticed some rust. For awhile now I have been trying to track down the source of a faint smell of radiator fluid. I think my lower radiator hose is leaking. I hope it is the hose and not the bottom of the radiator.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rust on Skid Plate.jpg 
Views:	774 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	79556
    I'd suggest leaving the skidplate off, and the next time you drive it, have a large piece of clean cardboard handy to put under there after you park it. The system should still be under significant pressure due to heat, and the leak location should show pretty quickly.
    Highwaylizard likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.