ABS light came on...

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: ABS light came on...

Liked
    21 times

Default ABS light came on...

My ABS light came on a couple days ago. I'm wondering if it has to do with me using my parking brake after i put my truck on ramps to change an O2 sensor. I RARELY use my parking brake.

I crawed under the back end to check the parking brake cables going to the drums. I used PB Blaster on the parking brake parts going to the drums.

I looked around the front disc brakes but can't tell if the Parking brake engages them or not. It didn't appear to.

Sometimes the light goes out and then when braking I her and feel a clicking-popping sound and the ABS light comes on.

The truck's brakes seem to be working fine.

Has anyone experienced this problem or know what I can do to correct it?

Thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    157 times
    Images

Default Re: ABS light came on...

Check the fluid level in the reservoir. More than likely, your fluid is low.

Liked
    21 times

The brake fluid level is fine. I'm thinking that if it were low the "Brake" light would be on, not the ABS light. Thanks for the reply.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    157 times
    Images

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...e-help-newbie/
    Mongoose, I found this thread which may help some. You may want to check and see if there are any stored codes. You may have a faulty speed sensor.

Liked
    21 times

Well I FINALLY got around to taking my truck to a shop and have a computer hooked up. Sure enough, my rear right speed sensor is bad. I checked with two part stores and they cost about $200. Neither store had one in stock. I think I'm just going to keep driving my truck. The brakes work fine and I can't justify spending $200 to make the ABS light go away. Wonder how hard it is to unplug the ABS light bulb?

Liked
    2144 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Well I FINALLY got around to taking my truck to a shop and have a computer hooked up. Sure enough, my rear right speed sensor is bad. I checked with two part stores and they cost about $200. Neither store had one in stock. I think I'm just going to keep driving my truck. The brakes work fine and I can't justify spending $200 to make the ABS light go away. Wonder how hard it is to unplug the ABS light bulb?
    Before you go to replace the ABS sensor spray the bolt with PB blaster for at least a week. The bolt that holds it in is very soft metal and the head will shear off the bolt with very little torque and you are left with a shaft you cannot get out. Using vice grips on the remaining piece will only break it off even further. It cost me $150 to have the dealer get it out.
    Remmy700P likes this.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    21 times

Trust me, I know what you mean about dealers tearing up as much as they fix.

I'm just going to leave it alone. The truck stops fine. I just get sick of looking at the ABS light.

Liked
    2903 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Trust me, I know what you mean about dealers tearing up as much as they fix.

I'm just going to leave it alone. The truck stops fine. I just get sick of looking at the ABS light.
    I'd strongly recommend against that. Your brakes are one of the most important subsystems in your vehicle. When they are not operating properly, you are looking at all kinds of potential problems.

An improperly functioning ABS speed sensor, especially on the rear wheels of a pickup, WILL cause that side to lockup under heavy/emergency braking due to imbalances in applied pressures. Next thing you know, your ass-end is now preceeding you down the highway. Not good.

Get it fixed. You can't skimp here or wait it out. You owe it the other drivers on the highway.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    802 times
    Images

Go to Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Toyota Auto Parts and Accessories for the OEM sensor. For my truck it's $165.00. I agree with Remmy about fixing it sooner rather than later. If the light is coming on it isn't just telling you there's a problem, the ABS brakes probably won't work properly when needed.

Great advice from Highwaylizard also. You definitely want to lube those bolts up. Breaking one off really blows.

John
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Liked
    21 times

Regardless of where I look, the speed sensor for my right rear is between $190 and $230. I will crawl under it tomorrow and look for the the bolt that holds the sensor in and keep it sprayed with PB Blaster (thanks Highwaylizard).

I'm really starting to think that my truck was made on a Friday or Monday.
    Highwaylizard likes this.

Liked
    21 times

OK... I sprayed the bolt twice today (While under there I even sprayed my rear O2 sensor bolts since they will probably be the next thing that goes wrong). I swear my truck was built on a Monday or Friday.

I searched the forum for Speed sensor only to get a bunch of Threads for 02 Sensors. I'm assuming that if I am able to get the bolt out I will unplug the old sensor, pull it out, stick the high dollar new one in and plug it up, and reinstall bolt with some anti seize stuff on the threads.

This must be a rare occurance or I would have found more threads.... But hey, my Fuel pump crapped out at 63K miles. My Tundra is the only one i've known of for the fuel pump to fail so sooon.

Liked
    802 times
    Images

Sounds about right. I'm not sure how far you have to go back to reach the connector. Good luck.

John
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

JHH
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Sometimes it is just a dirty speed sensor . Try cleaning and reinstall , clear codes and see if it returns . You will only be out your time to do it .

Liked
    21 times

I just took the sensor out and cleaned it. Luckily I didn't have a problem getting the bolt out that holds it in. I have been spraying it with PB Blaster for a while.

After reinstalling it, I disconnected my Negative Battery Cable to clear the codes. Unfortunately, my ABS light is still on.

Guess I'll have to order a new sensor.

Liked
    21 times

I have a new sensor ordered. After I install it and disconnect my Negative Battery cable, should the ABS light go away or will I need someone with a computer to reset it? Or should I disconnect the battery, change out the sensor, then reconnect the battery?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast