Question 4WD Actuator

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dyogim

Thread: 4WD Actuator

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default 4WD Actuator

I think the actuator is starting to go on my 2005 DC 4x4. The only reason I think this is because when I put it in 4x4 the light just blinks and does not stay solid. The 4x4 is working find so far and engages and disengages no problem.

Is this a sign I should it is going? And should i have it replaced now or wait until it stops working?

The reason I ask this is because I am unsure if it will do damage to the front driveshaft or other parts if it lets go once engaged.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    245 times
    Images

Default Re: 4WD Actuator

Is 4HI or 4LO blinking? Either way, the contacts within the actuators (front diff or the transfer case) may not be fully engaging sending false signals. Even though the shift rod is shifting the fork in the diff/xfer case properly. Take the cap off of the actuators and grease the contacts. Cycle it a few times and see if the problem consist.

Brand new, I believe the dealer wants $600-$800. Best bet is to buy from another tundra, tacoma or sequoia from around the same year. They pretty much share the same actuators.

Liked
    2 times

I think you are correct I remember reading in here about a fella who cleaned up the contacts w/ sand paper and then lubed it up well , he stated it was still working and saved a ton of $$ in fixing vs replacing.

repo

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    450 times
    Images

regular ol' moly grease?
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Liked
    2 times

I'd don't recall what he used and can't find the thread....

I would think using a marine grade white lithium.... but I really have no good answers.

Talk to your local parts guy:dunno

Take some pics and start a thread, I know I'll follow and I'm sure there are many others who would too.

Repo

Liked
    245 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2003bajatundra4x4ac View Post
    regular ol' moly grease?
    Quote Originally Posted by hilandfrog View Post
    I'd don't recall what he used and can't find the thread....

I would think using a marine grade white lithium.... but I really have no good answers.

Talk to your local parts guy:dunno

Take some pics and start a thread, I know I'll follow and I'm sure there are many others who would too.

Repo
    Use a dielectric grease. Permatex and loctite make a product for this. Most of the auto parts store should have something available.

Liked
    2824 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dyogim View Post
    Use a dielectric grease. Permatex and loctite make a product for this. Most of the auto parts store should have something available.
    +2. You must use a dielectric grease for lubricating electrical contact surfaces. Any other grease (moly, lithium, etc) will inhibit conduction.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    4 times

Am looking for my 4 wheel drive actuator under my 2000 Tundra. Can anyone give a link or a picture of what I am looking fer? I have the green blinking 4wheel light on my dash.....wanting to lube it up with dielectric grease and see if I can DYI it. Thanks!!!

Liked
    4 times

I found the 4 wheel drive actuator under the truck. 3 10mm bolts and one vacuum line later it was open. It was filled with yellow grease (dielectric grease?) I put it back together and snipped off 1 inch of tubing in hopes that it would work. No luck! The 4wheel lights still blink. I tried backing up in 4wheel, turning the wheel left and right down the street. When I pushed the button back into 2wheel I got a clunk when I drove about 20 feet forward. Not sure what that all means.

Next plan of attack is to check the CV joints. The driver side looks a bit greasy and will have a professional look at it. I do not have a mechanic's greasy thumb.....

Any further help is appreciated!

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    450 times
    Images

that clunk is normal on these rigs. best to coast while waiting for them to engage/disengage.
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Veteran Member
    Liked
    191 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    +2. You must use a dielectric grease for lubricating electrical contact surfaces. Any other grease (moly, lithium, etc) will inhibit conduction.
    Actually it's the other way around. A dielectric material is an electrical insulator. Dielectric grease is completely non-conductive. The purpose of the dielectric grease is to prevent oxidation or corrosion of the metal surfaces while providing electrical insulation. It's a crap shoot applying other types of grease to electrical contacts as some types of grease are conductive. Moly grease is somewhat conductive, for example, and would be a bad choice for lubricating electrical contacts.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    148 times
    Images