Now what's wrong with my oil gauge?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Now what's wrong with my oil gauge?

Liked
    6 times

Default Now what's wrong with my oil gauge?

I own a 2000 tundra 4.7 and today on the way back from school i notice the oil pressure gauge sat on low so i pulled to the side of the road and shut it off then started it think maybe its just something to do with the gauge but all it did after i started was go half way then started falling back down to low so then i jump out and checked the oil while it was running and it showed the oil was up to the second dot on the dip stick, I got no clue what's going on with it. Anything i should check or do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1913 times
    Images

Default Re: Now what's wrong with my oil gauge?

When you say it is "low" do you mean to the quarter mark on the gauge? If so then this is normal. The oil gauge typically peaks out at a little just over the halfway mark and then settles in around the quarter mark while driving. If it dips below the quarter mark while driving then you may have cause for concern.
    Hippo and cpearson817 like this.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    264,521 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Scangauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, True Flow Intake with Amsoil drop-in dry filter, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    2769 times
    Images

My gauge will settle to the 1/4 mark at warm idle, and will rise up into the 3/4 mark range when on the throttle/at speed.

This is typical of and normal for crank-driven oil pumps.
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 01-09-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    Hippo and cpearson817 like this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    6 times

it sits below 1/4 and doesn't go up when i rev it, i got 0-30w amsoil in it but that was about 3,000 miles ago

Liked
    2769 times
    Images

OK. If oil voume isn't a factor, then there's a problem either with the sending unit or the gauge itself.
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    6 times

if i did have low oil pressure wouldn't a light come too telling me to check engine. i just want to make sure i can still drive it to school.

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    372 times
    Images

you would have known by now if there was a problem with low oil volume or pressure.
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Liked
    5 times
    Images

so then i jump out and checked the oil while it was running and it showed the oil was up to the second dot on the dip stick, I got no clue what's going on with it. Anything i should check or do?
    First thing to do is turn off your engine then check it after it sits for a few minutes. You won't get the correct reading while it's running.
    Highwaylizard and Jonesy like this.
    When Life Gives you the Beach, Make Margaritas!
    2006 SR-5 Double Cab 4x4
    17" TRD Wheels
    Moonroof
    LSD
    JBL 8 speaker Audio
    Westin Chrome Step Bars

The Official Tow Vehicle of Fun!

Liked
    6 times

yeah i check it again last night when it sat for about 3hrs and oil was just above the 2nd dot

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    372 times
    Images

stop worrying if it stays there.
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Lurking Member
    Liked
    5 times

Normal oil pressure for a Tundra is min 5 at idle and min 45 at 3K RPM. In my experience the gauges are very reliable and the sending units less so. New senders cost about $45. IIRC the sender is located near the oil filter at the driver side front of the engine. Check for leaks. If you can get a mechanical gauge that's the best way to check the pressure. If not try disconnecting the wire and see if gauge reads zero. Now ground the wire to the block and it should read max. If so replace the sender. If not check your wire for a break or ground. Report your findings.

Liked
    2 times

bfunke is right in that you will only know what your actual pressure readings are with a mechanical guage. Pull the sender unit and connect a fitting/hose/guage setup.
    My 4.7 shows around 1/4 at hot idle and a little over 3/4 at 2000 rpm hot. It has always done exactly that for 10 years, but i have no idea what the actual pressure is. Essentially it is an idiot guage, but is way better than the idiot light concept. Gotta wonder about the bozo that thought up the 2psi idiot light !
    I would be surprised at the low end spec of 5psi that bfunke mentions though ! Is this correct guys?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Its the 0-30 oil. I put 5-30 in my 04 rather than the 10-30 recommended and the gauge showed thesame thing (low).

Liked
    2769 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cray49a View Post
    Its the 0-30 oil. I put 5-30 in my 04 rather than the 10-30 recommended and the gauge showed thesame thing (low).
    Don't see how oil viscosity could be the culprit. A 0W-30 and 5W-30 are the same viscosity at operating temp. Even cold, they are similar enough that an analog gauge isn't going to reflect the difference.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    Don't see how oil viscosity could be the culprit. A 0W-30 and 5W-30 are the same viscosity at operating temp. Even cold, they are similar enough that an analog gauge isn't going to reflect the difference.
    I've been blown off twice from replying. Here goes. Only happened when I went to 5-30 and never with 10-30. Weird.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast