Low Pressure Power Steering Line Issue

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RISR5
  • 1 Post By Archer217

Thread: Low Pressure Power Steering Line Issue

Liked
    14 times

Default Low Pressure Power Steering Line Issue

Ok, the hard return line from the rack to the reservoir for the power steering is leaking on my truck, due to what looks like some corrosion around one of the bushings where its bolted to the body. I've contacted my local dealer about a replacement and they informed me that the only way to get that hard line is to buy an assembly that includes the high pressure line and all the soft rubber lines and so forth.....for a whopping $500....not a chance. So if anyone who has toyota parts experience I would appreciate it if you could tell me if its possible to get this hard line separately (hell I'd dish out for the two soft lines on either end if I had to). If thats not going to be an option what would you guys think about running one length of rubber line from the reservoir down to the rack? A hell of a lot cheaper and honestly I dont think it would really make a difference. I would assume a length of heater hose would do the trick.....Any and all comments are appreciated.....seeing as how I have to get this nonsense straightened out sooner than later....thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    372 times
    Images

Default Re: Low Pressure Power Steering Line Issue

i'm gonna go out on a limb, in the tree of the uninformed, and say the reason they use hard lines is to minimize vibration/bounce/flex. if you secure it with zip-ties to minimize any rub issues i don't see a problem.

and you just saved $480....
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Liked
    14 times

Kind of what I was thinking, I think ultimately the rubber line would only be a temporary thing. I found a couple places online that rebuild lines and such....so if I have the hard line out of the truck I shouldnt have too much of a problem getting a new one fabbed up. Theres just no way I'm buying into a $500 assembly for just that one line.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

maybe you could finde a copper line conector at home depot to cut out the leaking part and splice in a short peace of copper

Liked
    2774 times
    Images

Thumbs up Re: Low Pressure Power Steering Line Issue

Contact these guys: Arizona Tubes & Hoses. A while back, another TSer had them fab up a replacement and it was a fraction of what the dealer wants to ream you for.

It's essentially just a hydraulic line. If you get a hose rated for the chemical makeup of PS fluid/ATF, then I don't see why a soft line wouldn't work.
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 02-06-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Veteran Member
    Liked
    173 times
    Images

Here's the tube assembly. The low pressure return line from the rack runs to the power steering cooler (which is just a single loop of metal tube) and then back to the reservoir. This line is at zero pressure so you may be able to fabricate a new piece of hard line by bending up some brake line or fuel line and flaring the ends. I wouldn't try that with the pressure line from the pump to the rack, though. A hydraulic house could fab that up for you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tube Assy, Pressure Feed.jpg 
Views:	1400 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	82938
    Last edited by mibro; 02-06-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Liked
    14 times

Thanks for all the replies guys.....I just went out on a limb and bought some 3/8" heater hose (roughly 4 feet will do the trick). The O/D of the hose isnt too large so you can still use the same brackets in play for the hard line to keep it in place. Its still only a temp fix....I just want to try and find a local hydraulics shop that can fab up a replacement line for me. If and when I find that company locally here I'll post it up just in case anyone from this area is looking for something like that. Thanks again guys
    yotatoter likes this.

Liked
    2 times

RISR5 - I had the same issue on my '05 DC, but it was right out of the rack, where it bends down to the cross member. This is 10mm tube, and nobody around me carried it, so they bent me a new 3/8 with the flare (to accept the 17mm flare nut). All i did was brought them the rusted line, and they made up the tube to match. The left me a "bump" at the very end, where the tube runs along the cross member, so that I could then use the original hose which was clamped to the old tube. Took all of 10min at the hydraulic shop, and $20 for the material. It was a bit tight stuffing the 10mm hose on the 3/8 tube, but works fine. If you have a flare tool and tube bender, you can get the 3/8 at any NAPA store for about $10. But I didn't so off to the hydraulic shop I went.

Good luck.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Great info Remmy!!! My local dealer tried this bit on me as well. They wanted $800, parts and labor. Not in this lifetime.

Thanks again for the info.
    Remmy700P likes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

RISR5, have you found someone local to fab a replacement line? I'm in SE Ma & both my high & low pressure lines need replacing. There is no way I'm paying my dealer what he's lookin to charge me...

Liked
    14 times

Quote Originally Posted by marreeme View Post
    RISR5, have you found someone local to fab a replacement line? I'm in SE Ma & both my high & low pressure lines need replacing. There is no way I'm paying my dealer what he's lookin to charge me...
    unfortunately no I haven't done anything about it.....the rubber line I put in as a temporary situation has become more permanent these days. If I had to guess.....any shop that deals with fabbing up Hydraulic Lines would be able to do those up in a heartbeat. You would just have to pull the originals so they would know how to bend them and such. We have a Diesel mechanic here at work and he wasnt much help with giving idea's as to who I could call so if you find someone local to the RI/SE Mass area let me know....

Lurking Member
    Liked
    7 times

I had the low pressure line fail in my old t-100, and the high pressure line was on its way out, my mechanic did not want to touch it without a solution in hand because he said, oh, thats going to crumble when I wrench it, we looked up the toyota part, and it was 690, and that was only if he could get it. we both said thats nuts. So, I started looking. I found that trailgears kit for 83 was almost a direct bolt up.

Tacoma Steering | Toyota, Suzuki Samurai, and Jeep Off Road Parts

I lost a vacuum dohickey but, saved 600 so, I was ok with it.

I am thinking a 4wd shop should figure out the hoses, make a kit and then get wealthy selling it back to us.