My dash lights are a different color now...

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By italiantundra88

Thread: My dash lights are a different color now...

Liked
    60 times
    Images

Default My dash lights are a different color now...

EDIT: Also posted this in the Gen-1 Sequoia forum, but it applies to the G-1 Tundra folks as well (plus THAT forum doesn't get much attention) ...

Wow, what an easy mod! I couldn't take the puke-green lighting for another day, so I removed the panels, and peeled off the green "condoms" that covered the bulbs. I have seen some guys re-cover the bulbs with another color (blue,red, etc...) but leaving them naked produces a nice Amber glow, which is my personal favorite anyhow! If you haven't done this, it is extremely easy, and can be done within an hour, TOPS. I haven't gotten to the cigarette-lighter yet, nor the door panels, but they are so minor that I'm not in a hurry. Also, the upper display (on the roof, has temp, mpg, homelink, etc...) can't be changed from the green. The buttons are actually green plastic on the rear, so unless you design your own new plastic button, they have to stay green. No big deal really.

Oh, and if you're wondering what radio that is... the link is below. It's a cheap Chinese "direct-fit" unit, and I have to say, it's pretty decent. It literally is a direct fit; no wiring harnesses or dash kits needed. This particular one is having issues with the SD card reader & the iPod interface freezes up, so I'm returning it for a refund. I'll probably pickup a different one within the next couple weeks. Considering they have everything built in (ie Nav, BT, video playback, direct fit & plug-&-play including steering wheel controls)... for less than $400, it's a good deal.

Car Stereo RDS Radio DVD Player+GPS Navigation Fit 02-09 Toyota 4 Runner 4Runner | eBay
    2004 Sequoia 4.7L 4x4
    275/65/17 Hankook I-Pike RW11, Brush guard, 27w LED Aux lights, Ebay Nav, Husky Liners

Also have 2008 Prius, 2006 Honda Cr-V
    Previous: 2010 Tundra CM 4x4 & 2007 Tundra DC 4x4

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    94 times
    Images

Default Re: My dash lights are a different color now...

I like how it looks too.. perhaps a weekend project for me ....
    BobbyB

2000 Toyota Tundra Limited 4x4 TRD = In Progress
    2004 Saturn L300 = Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Atilla the Tundra View Post
    That will sound like godzilla throwing schoolbuses full of screaming children into a wood chipper. Have fun with your fix it tickets!

Liked
    270 times
    Images

Any ideas of what we could use to replace the condoms with those of a different color? I havent taken it apart yet but when i get home from school this is on my list
    2001 Black AC V8 4x4

Current Mods: TrailFX Tube Steps, Uniden CB Radio with PA, Recon Tailgate LED Bar, Edelbrock Exhaust, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/R16, Blacked Out Emblems, Plastidip Mirror Caps, Bumpers and Front Grill, Skid Row Skid Plate (Thanks to four_by_four), Full Blue LED interior lighting, Herculiner Bed Liner, Kobalt Low Profile Tool Box, Smitty Built Rear Shackle, Walmart Front AUX lights, JVC Headunit, Kicker Front Components, Pioneer Rear Speakers, Magnefine Filter, Viper Remote Start, Single in-Dual out 2.25in Exhaust
    Thanks to Rust: New Frame, New Calipers, New Rear Axle, Sway Bar End Links, Tailgate Straps, Exhaust Leaks
    To Do: Diff Fluid, Kenwood DDX419, 5100s Front and Rear set to 1in, Diff Drop, Poly Rack Bushings
    Quote Originally Posted by italiantundra88 View Post
    dave, every one has a weekness, yours is just any work on your truck

Liked
    60 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
    Any ideas of what we could use to replace the condoms with those of a different color? I havent taken it apart yet but when i get home from school this is on my list
    Small Colored Bulb Covers. Fits #168, 194
    2004 Sequoia 4.7L 4x4
    275/65/17 Hankook I-Pike RW11, Brush guard, 27w LED Aux lights, Ebay Nav, Husky Liners

Liked
    28 times
    Images

Oh man! I was about to start cursing myself, I just bought a in-dash nav system for the wifes sienna about 2 hours ago from sonic, unfortunately I will still have to buy a module for the steering wheel controls I think, and might have to splice into it (yuck) if they made one for sienna I would be trying to refund my other one, thankfully they dont :-D

Liked
    28 times
    Images

Upon further review, I did find one on ebay from Hong Kong, 6.2" Car DVD Player GPS Navigation for Toyota Sienna + Free GPS Map BRAND NEW | eBay for $370 pre wired for the sienna... if it wasnt such a hassle to cancel my order I would be tempted to change my deciscion.

This is the one I purchased: Pyle PLDNV78I In-Dash Car GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix cheap price under $300 backed by a reputable online retailer and came with harness and trim pieces. Only thing I think I will have to fumble with is the steering wheel controls... but, for the price I cant complain.

Supercharged Member italiantundra88's Avatar
    Liked
    376 times
    Images

i love my led dash and how it looks
    nice job on yours

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0054.JPG 
Views:	1511 
Size:	546.6 KB 
ID:	83114
    arseum likes this.
    07 Tundra Limited DC 5.7 TRD Off Road
    All interior leds, led reverse lights, black headlight mod, custom homemade led third brake light, morimoto mini H1 projector retrofit with 5000k hids, 6000k 55w hid fogs, debadged, 2010 sport color matching grill, 2 sundown sd 10s in a fox under seat box, afe stage 2 cold air intake, super 44 flowmasters dumped after rear axel, tundra racing rear flip leveling kit, 22" black rhino traverse, tundra racing helper bag kit (made to fit their level kits)...

Seafoam how to
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...eafoam-how-to/

Quote Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
    she got mad when i came home and sat in the truck before going inside to see her... i guess the tundra just requires less money and maintenance.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
    The sad part is, when I googled "blowmaster" images a picture of my truck comes up, fail.

Liked
    4 times
    Images

Looks good. What did you do to the gauge cluster lights? Sequoia might be different, but I believe on the Tundra, the gauge cluster requires sanding the pea green off.

I hate the pea green too and have been wanting to get rid of mine for a while now, but to make everything match, that would require replacing the stock head unit. And I am just not ready to do that at this point.

Liked
    60 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by m5allen View Post
    Looks good. What did you do to the gauge cluster lights? Sequoia might be different, but I believe on the Tundra, the gauge cluster requires sanding the pea green off.

I hate the pea green too and have been wanting to get rid of mine for a while now, but to make everything match, that would require replacing the stock head unit. And I am just not ready to do that at this point.
    No sanding required. When you remove the gauge-cluster and flip it over, you'll see which lights are for the "main lighting" and which ones are for "specific functions" like the trouble or indicator lights... the "main" ones will are in a green bulb-assembly, and the main ones are in a black assembly. Anyhow, the "condoms" were more difficult to remove on the gauge bulbs, but only because the rubber seemed to adhere to the bulb, probably from the longer duration of heat. That's my guess anyhow, but the other condoms just slid right off, still intact. The gauge ones, I had to peel them off, then scrape off the residue & "transferred" rubber left behind.

Another benefit of this, is that the lights are now much brighter, since they're not being filtered through the condom.

And m5allen... the stock headunit is garbage. There are TONS of better options out there, and even if you don't like the touch-screen units, you can find a good Radio with iPod/BT/USB functions, which can be tailored (color) to your truck's lighting. I just picked up a JVC Kw-xr810 for my wife's CR-V. With the wiring-harness, dash kit, and steering-wheel control interface... I'm only at $235 shipped. Excellent unit for the price, and the sound & functionality is miles beyond the crappy stock radios we have.

Google search couldn't find one installed in a Tundra, but here it is in other installs:

2004 Sequoia 4.7L 4x4

Liked
    28 times
    Images

Damn you and your ideas! I called and canceled my order and then ordered an ebay one for my sienna... Plug and part, works with steering wheel controls AND has knobs on the front for volume (which I prefer) for $370. The steering control module alone would have cost me that. How do you like the gps in your system?

I went with this one because I thought all the displays looked really good.
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Cheers!

Liked
    60 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by YOTAtoy View Post
    Damn you and your ideas! I called and canceled my order and then ordered an ebay one for my sienna... Plug and part, works with steering wheel controls AND has knobs on the front for volume (which I prefer) for $370. The steering control module alone would have cost me that. How do you like the gps in your system?

I went with this one because I thought all the displays looked really good.
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Cheers!
    just be aware that THAT unit has green button lighting only! So if you're planning to change the dash colors, you'll run into that issue. There are a few that have selectable colors....

Also, most if these use IGo maps and OCN (on course navigator) for the nav. I've always liked their mapping system, as I've used it before on pocket pc's. It's a very easy to use system. You can also find map updates online for free.

-Sent from my PHOTON with AutoGuide for Android
    2004 Sequoia 4.7L 4x4

Liked
    28 times
    Images

I am not to particular with the color of the radio, its the wifes car after all, I do admit the green might look tacky in the Sienna because its colors are a white/blue tint. I have also heard good things about IGo maps, I will post up some photos when I get the unit in.

Cheers!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Mod looks great! New member here, came here to learn about the LED retrofit as well. I've gotten the A/C cluster done, going for the instrument panel next. Done lots of searches on the forum and can't figure out which bulb is the right one for the cigarette lighter ring. It was such a pain to get out, now a little frustrated because it definitely doesn't appear to be a #74. If anyone knows and would be willing to post it up, it'd be greatly appreciated...since I've got the lighter assembly all over the floorboards of my truck...

Liked
    60 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by christuan View Post
    Mod looks great! New member here, came here to learn about the LED retrofit as well. I've gotten the A/C cluster done, going for the instrument panel next. Done lots of searches on the forum and can't figure out which bulb is the right one for the cigarette lighter ring. It was such a pain to get out, now a little frustrated because it definitely doesn't appear to be a #74. If anyone knows and would be willing to post it up, it'd be greatly appreciated...since I've got the lighter assembly all over the floorboards of my truck...
    Sorry man, I haven't tried taking the Cig lighter apart yet, so I really can't comment on the light for that.
    2004 Sequoia 4.7L 4x4