Front drive axle throwing grease

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RISR5

Thread: Front drive axle throwing grease

Lurking Member
    Liked
    4 times

Default Front drive axle throwing grease

Hi all
    While changing the oil in my '03 Tundra last week I noticed both front drive axles have been throwing grease from the inner boots. Closer inspection reveals no torn boots, appears the metal band between the larger and smaller inner boots has just loosened allowing grease to escape. I haven't heard any grinding or clicking while driving. Truck has 123K on it, as far as I know these are original axles.
    As far as I can tell my options are to remove and replace entire axle assembly, or remove and rebuild with a "boot kit".
    My questions are: 1 - Based on mileage should I just replace the axles, even though there is no evidence (i.e. noise) indicating the CV joints are bad? 2 - If replacement isn't necessary, is there a way I can re-grease the boots and tighten the bands without removing the axles.
    Thanks for the info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    14 times

Default Re: Front drive axle throwing grease

this is actually on my "to-do" list, I'm in the same boat where there is grease being thrown but the stock clamps are still in place. With that scenario I cant see how much dirt would find its way into the boot to ruin the cv's. I would imagine that if you're not hearing the tell tale signs of a messed up cv then all you should really do is pull the stock clamp off, pull the boot back, inspect for excessive dirt and such, liberally apply some cv joint grease and install a new clamp...no point in replacing axles if you dont need to, down the road if they start clicking....then do it, but dont jump the gun if you dont have to. Its not like they're just going to explode into tiny pieces from normal driving.
    Highwaylizard likes this.

Supporter
    Liked
    97 times
    Images

Or use the OEM clamp and BLUE thread locker.

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    452 times
    Images

remove the POS stock clamp(s) and peel back the boot and put half a package of CV JOINT grease in each joint. then reclamp.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...od-hose-clamp/
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com