Vibration/sway at highway speeds after lifting. (5100 content)

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Vibration/sway at highway speeds after lifting. (5100 content)

Liked
    52 times

Default Vibration/sway at highway speeds after lifting. (5100 content)

Not sure if i'd call it vibration, sway, or what...but I lifted the front of the truck (2003 AC) by 1.3" using Bilstein 5100's on the third notch. I drove it for a couple of days and thought it was great. THEN had it aligned and the tires rotated. Immediately I noticed a slight bump/sway/vibration/shimmy in the steering wheel once I get to about 60 MPH. I assumed my front tires were bad due to late rotation (they were now on the rear) so I went ahead and got new tires. Same problem with the new tires. Kinda feels like it would if a wheel was out of balance.

Is there something that wouldn't be addressed by the alignment that I should look at? I could have them recheck the alignment, but it's a tire shop and I just bought tires somewhere else so I don't know how cooperative they'll be. I realize the truck isn't engineered to be lifted that way, but wanted to ask if this seems normal or if I missed something.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1845 times
    Images

Default Re: Vibration/sway at highway speeds after lifting. (5100 content)

so it didn't do it before the alignment, but it did it after the alignment? i would have taken it back to them instead of trying to diagnosis the problem on an internet forum. take it back.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    52 times

Quote Originally Posted by SuckersWalk View Post
    so it didn't do it before the alignment, but it did it after the alignment? i would have taken it back to them instead of trying to diagnosis the problem on an internet forum. take it back.
    You'd be surprised how many things can be diagnosed on an internet forum. No, I didn't notice it before the alignment, but I was trying to be really careful with the truck between the lift and the alignment. They're pretty good with the alignments and provide a nice chart of how everything is set up. Just want to see if my experience is common.

Liked
    2988 times
    Images

Post up your alignment numbers. It sounds like too little caster to me.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    52 times

You know...now that I look at this chart, I see that they put my tire size in wrong. Way wrong. Would that make a difference?

Liked
    1845 times
    Images

did the other dealer convince you to get new tires to fix the problem you were experiencing?

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    52 times

did the other dealer convince you to get new tires to fix the problem you were experiencing?
    No...I was gonna go up a size anyway. It's cause Fishontro made fun of my tiny little tires!
    Preparing to lift. Need advice (pics inside)

Liked
    1845 times
    Images

lol. did they give you a free alignment check with the tires?

Search for your answer.

Liked
    52 times

lol. did they give you a free alignment check with the tires?
    No. I got them at Discount Tire. I'm not even sure they do alignments. Nevertheless, it's at the alignment shop now and they are telling me I've got a warped wheel. I figured something like that would be the answer since I didn't buy the tires from them. I couldn't afford their tires though.

Liked
    2988 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
    You know...now that I look at this chart, I see that they put my tire size in wrong. Way wrong. Would that make a difference?

All that alignment shop did was "set the toe and let it go". Tire size doesn't matter. There's too much cross-camber, and the caster needs to be higher... closer to 2 degrees.

I'd be pissed beyond measure if a shop tried to slip that lazy bull**** past me. How much did they charge you for that?

I'd go right back with DJ's alignment specs and tell them to meet it. If they balk, or say they can't, then I'd get my money back and go someplace that has a Hunter alignment console and a tech that knows how to use it.
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    52 times

That's interesting Remmy. I didn't know there was that much difference. To their credit, they remounted the left front tire and almost eliminated the problem. I'm back at Discount Tire now and they are putting the tires back on some different type of balancing machine that they "don't always use for all terrain tires" I really think they mounted the tire poorly...left front.

I'm not familiar with DJ's alignment specs. Could you point me to those?

Liked
    2988 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
    That's interesting Remmy. I didn't know there was that much difference. To their credit, they remounted the left front tire and almost eliminated the problem. I'm back at Discount Tire now and they are putting the tires back on some different type of balancing machine that they "don't always use for all terrain tires" I really think they mounted the tire poorly...left front.

I'm not familiar with DJ's alignment specs. Could you point me to those?
    Attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Liked
    52 times

Thanks. I imagine their machine just throws out an acceptable range and they try to get it out of the red zone. I will see who has that Hunter machine.

I took the truck back to Discount Tire and they took all the wheels off, and put them on their "Road Force Balancer" which they said they don't always do. I'll insist on it from now on. I realize I bought cheaper tires, but I've never had problems with Cooper before. It does ride MUCH better now and they said they did have to remount a couple of the tires.
    arseum likes this.

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    476 times

That printout is from a Hunter alignment machine. The problem is not the machine, rather it is the person who used it. Likely he meant well, but he doesn't know what he doesn't know.

I suggest reading this post and following the suggestions in it:

In particular:

My recommendations have changed over the years, too, in line with Toyota's. The intent behind them is the same, however: To provide the maximum steering stability for any particular FIRST GENERATION Tundra that Toyota's specs for that particular Tundra can provide.

The recommendation is thus worded the same for all FIRST GENERATION Tundras:

1) Begin with Toyota's recommended alignment settings for your vehicle. That is easy to do, as the alignment machine has those specs in its internal database.

2) Set camber and total toe dead on Toyota's recommended settings for your vehicle.

3) Set caster right at the upper end of the range that Toyota's specs allow for your vehicle.

Note that neither Toyota nor the alignment shop has any grounds to object, as these settings are within the tolerances that Toyota allows for your vehicle.

Liked
    52 times

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    1) Begin with Toyota's recommended alignment settings for your vehicle. That is easy to do, as the alignment machine has those specs in its internal database.
    Great. Thanks so much DJ. Is there a printed reference somewhere of the Toyota recommended alignment somewhere so I can check their work? I've googled with no success. I plan to take the truck back to them on Friday to see if they will bring it into tighter specs. My truck is a 2003 SR5 AC 4x4, btw.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.