Sirius-xm antenna...where did you locate yours?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RunawayTundra

Thread: Sirius-xm antenna...where did you locate yours?

Liked
    25 times

Default Sirius-xm antenna...where did you locate yours?

Guys, I installed a Pioneer AVH-3400BH along with the XM module (GEX-P920XM) and I'm super happy with the whole set-up. The XM works like a factory installed unit and the Pioneer receiver is superb. However there is one thing I do not like and that is the magnetic XM antenna. What have you guys done with yours? Any creative ideas? I read the one post where somebody hid their XM antenna inside a set of Recon cab high marker lights. I've been thinking of maybe going with a shark fin. Ideas?
    2006 DW Edition Double Cab
    SnugTop Shell
    Westin Step Rails
    K&N Air Filter
    Pioneer AVH-3400BH

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    25 times

Default Re: Sirius-xm antenna...where did you locate yours?

Anybody?
    SnugTop Shell
    Westin Step Rails
    K&N Air Filter
    Pioneer AVH-3400BH

Liked
    24 times

I ran mine up through the third brake light on the top of the cab as suggested by someone on the site. It works well and the antenna isn't very noticeable. Were you looking for something more inconspicuous?

Liked
    25 times

Quote Originally Posted by RunawayTundra View Post
    I ran mine up through the third brake light on the top of the cab as suggested by someone on the site. It works well and the antenna isn't very noticeable. Were you looking for something more inconspicuous?
    Oh....great idea. Why didn't I think of that? I'm not necessarily looking for something inconspicuous, although now that you mention it, that is always a plus if it can be achieved. At the moment mine is located about 1" above the windshield, roughly in the space where my overhead console would be located inside the truck. It doesn't look terrible or anything, however every time I take the truck in to have it washed, I'm always taping the antenna (magnetic) down for fear of it being knocked off during the wash cycle. Would you happen to have a photo of your installation? I'd love to see it.
    SnugTop Shell
    Westin Step Rails
    K&N Air Filter
    Pioneer AVH-3400BH

Liked
    24 times

I don't have a photo, sorry. Right now, my truck and I are in separate states for a couple of months.

I got the idea from this site so I know there are others who have run the antenna through the third brake light.

I did this several years ago, but as I recall I removed the outer lens and third brake light assembly and routed the cable around the outside of the whole assembly into the top of the cab. I definitely didn't remove the headliner. You will have to see where the antenna cable pops out on the inside. Once inside the cab, I think I ran the cable under the plastic trim and down the back corner of the cab(I have an access cab) and then under the carpet and door sills until under the dash. Once it was all back together, I sealed around the third brake light with black silicone. Like I said, it looks very tidy and is very secure. I have ran it through several auto and hand car washes without issue.

Sorry my description is not very detailed. It is hard to remember without having access to the truck right now.

If you get a chance, look around on the audio/stereo forum on this site. Hopefully, someone has a more complete write up.

Good luck
    Last edited by RunawayTundra; 04-01-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    JustTom likes this.

Liked
    25 times

Thanks for the info, I sure do appreciate it. I'll definitely check out the audio section as well.
    SnugTop Shell
    Westin Step Rails
    K&N Air Filter
    Pioneer AVH-3400BH

Liked
    6 times

Pics of the head unit? I'm dreadfully missing my XM since I got my tundra but I can't figure out how to get the head unit out, it's like I would have to take the whole dash out?

Liked
    9 times

I left miine inside the cab ran it up the side of the pilar across the top and stuck it to the top of my rear view mirror supports works great and its inside not outside!

Liked
    76 times
    Images

I originally ran mine from the cab thru one of the rubber boots in the firewall into the engine compartment, then along the frame and placed the antenna on the front of the bed (right behind the cab). The antenna has a good magnet, so it stuck there nicely.
    That location worked Ok....sometimes when driving in a certain direction (South I think) I would lose the XM signal, but it was mostly Ok.
    I finally moved the antenna inside the cab....mine just sits on the dash cover near the windshield. A piece of Velcro keeps it stuck to the dash cover and from moving around.
    I'm sure on the roof would be better, but this works 99% or more of the time (rarely drops signal) and it was easy.
    TheGryme Do It Right, No One Remembers. Do It Wrong....No One Forgets!
    '04 Tundra DC
    Grey....V8 SR5 4X4 TRD Off Road Suspension, LSD, Towing Package, 5100's Front & Rear, Total Chaos UCAz, Cooper Discoverer AT3 265 75 16 Tires, Magnaflowed, UNIChipped, True~Flowed (w/ Secret AirBox Mods!), DeBadged, ScanGaged, XM'ed, a Few Scrapes and Dings.....Yeah!
    '12 Camry SE
    Silver with Limo Black Tinted Windows, 4 cyl. 6 Speed Auto, Black Leather Interior, De-Badged....Stock......For Now!
    '92 4Runner
    Black, V6, Downey / Rancho suspension F&R, 3 inch sus lift, 1 inch body lift, SAW T-Barz, 4:88's, ARB (rear), 32X12.50 BS Dualers on AR 8X15 Wheelz, Power Slots and Pads, Downey headers, MagnaFlo Muff, K&N FIPK, Ported heads, 1 piece stainless valves...way too much money in it!
    '04 YZ250F
    Dr.D Header and Can, JD Jetting, P38 AP, UNI Flame Proof Air Filter, No Back Fire Screen, Carbon Fiber Carb Heat Shield, Renthals, Maxxis Desert IT Tires, ASV Controls....
    '87 Nissan Pathfinder......gone but not forgotten.

Liked
    25 times

Quote Originally Posted by 05tundra315 View Post
    Pics of the head unit? I'm dreadfully missing my XM since I got my tundra but I can't figure out how to get the head unit out, it's like I would have to take the whole dash out?
    No. If you need to remove your head unit, it's fairly easy. There are 5 screws that need to be removed. Before starting DISCONNECT BATTERY, then follow these steps. 1) remove all three dials for AC controls. 2) remove all three screws, one behind each dial. 3) Tilt the two center AC vents upwards. 4) remove two screws, one from each AC vent. With AC vents turned upwards, look underneath where the top of the AC vents come to a stop. You will see one screw for each of the two vents. 5) Use a Bojo or other tool to carefully pry black center surround from dash. With screws removed, these are held in place by nothing more than spring clips. 6) With center surround pulled away from dash, unplug 2 white plugs (left and right) that plug in to the center surround. Put center surround aside. 7) Now with the dash exposed and the stereo in plain view, remove 4 bolts securing the stereo from the dash. 8) Unplug Stereo. That's all there is to it. Depending on what aftermarket stereo you decide to run, you will most likely want to purchase an interface that plugs directly in to the factory wiring harness that will allow you to control your aftermarket stereo. I have the JBL Amplifier in my truck so I opted for the P.A.C. TATO interface which I connected to the Pioneer AVH-3400BH along with an Axxcess Steering Wheel Controller. The Axxcess does require some wiring, but if you want something easier to hook up you can opt for a P.A.C. SWI-JACK (steering wheel controller). This plugs right in to the P.A.C. TATO. As far as my XM goes, mine is mounted directly underneath the center console between the cupholders and the plastic/rubberized tray piece located below the ashtray. There was plenty of room there for the XM module. I'm not really sure what direction you're going, but I hope this answers your question. If you need more info PM me.
    SnugTop Shell
    Westin Step Rails
    K&N Air Filter
    Pioneer AVH-3400BH

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by RunawayTundra View Post
    I ran mine up through the third brake light on the top of the cab as suggested by someone on the site. It works well and the antenna isn't very noticeable.
    Yes this is what I did. Works flawlessly, only noticeable from above. I thought about painting but never got around to it.
    - JD
    Factory Options: Leather Captain's Chairs, Color Keyed Running Boards, tow package Aftermarket Additions: JVC KDSHX900 w/ HD, Sirius Satellite Radio, JL Audio Stealthbox, Eclipse 500W 5-channel Amp, MB Quart Ref Components w/ 1.5" tweeters up front, Coax rears Modifications: Unichip with custom tune, JBA Titanium coated headers, Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar, TRD Dual Side Exit Exhaust, Powertraxx No-Slip, TRD IS Wheels, Fabtech Performance Coil-overs & Donahoe Racing leaf springs with bilstein 5100