First timing belt change advice

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: First timing belt change advice

Rookie
    Liked
    9 times

Default First timing belt change advice

I have 99,500 miles on my 2001 Tundra 4.7L, and will be having my timing belt replaced. What other components are recommended to have replaced at the same service time? I will be replacing the water pump for sure. I want to replace any related parts, so I wont have to deal with it until the 200k belt job. I also find it interesting that the Toyota service employee told me this engine was NOT an interference engine. I asked in plain English if the timing belt breaks, am I looking at a replacement engine. The answer was NO, the belts will most likely melt, cause a big mess, but the engine will be fine. He said the Toyota interference engines All use a timing chain, not a timing belt. For a second, I breathed a sigh of relief, but I still think a broken belt will destroy this engine. Am I right? Or will the trucks engine survive a broken timing belt?
    talvar likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Default re: First timing belt change advice

Cam/crank seals, idler pulleys, tensioner.

The dealership is dumb telling you it's not an interference engine. Bring it to an indie shop if don't plan to DIY.
    04 Lexus LS430 3UZ-FE V8
    02 Chevy C1500 LM7 5.3L V8
    01 Toyota Tundra 2UZ-FE V8
    90 Toyota 4Runner 1UZ-FE V8 engine swap

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

after working on these trucks since the original launch, i've yet to see a belt failure. never witnessed an oil leak from front engine seals either. my original 2000, 175k, does not leak a drop of oil anywhere. this 4.7 is the most reliable engine in the toyota lineup. you will be just fine with a belt and pump, throw an accessory belt on too.

as for the writer, he's a salesman, not a trained technician.
    talvar likes this.

Liked
    25 times

You're at nearly 100k and this is the first belt you've replaced? Doesn't the manual call for this to be done at 60k miles? I'm at 51,800 miles now and already starting to prepare myself to change the belt/pump in less than 10k miles. If I could let it go a bit longer...even stretch it out to 100K miles that would be super.
    2006 DW Edition Double Cab
    SnugTop Shell
    Westin Step Rails
    K&N Air Filter
    Pioneer AVH-3400BH

Liked
    16 times

Quote Originally Posted by JustTom View Post
    You're at nearly 100k and this is the first belt you've replaced? Doesn't the manual call for this to be done at 60k miles? I'm at 51,800 miles now and already starting to prepare myself to change the belt/pump in less than 10k miles. If I could let it go a bit longer...even stretch it out to 100K miles that would be super.
    Timing belt should be replaced every 90k miles per Toyota....you're still good for quite some time.
    talvar likes this.

Liked
    25 times

Quote Originally Posted by TRDSport View Post
    Timing belt should be replaced every 90k miles per Toyota....you're still good for quite some time.
    Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm so relieved to hear this news. Lately it seems I've been spending money left and right for various things, so I'm glad this is one which can wait a while longer.
    2006 DW Edition Double Cab
    SnugTop Shell
    Westin Step Rails
    K&N Air Filter
    Pioneer AVH-3400BH

Liked
    95 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alpineglen View Post
    I have 99,500 miles on my 2001 Tundra 4.7L, and will be having my timing belt replaced. What other components are recommended to have replaced at the same service time? I will be replacing the water pump for sure. I want to replace any related parts, so I wont have to deal with it until the 200k belt job. I also find it interesting that the Toyota service employee told me this engine was NOT an interference engine. I asked in plain English if the timing belt breaks, am I looking at a replacement engine. The answer was NO, the belts will most likely melt, cause a big mess, but the engine will be fine. He said the Toyota interference engines All use a timing chain, not a timing belt. For a second, I breathed a sigh of relief, but I still think a broken belt will destroy this engine. Am I right? Or will the trucks engine survive a broken timing belt?
    I am going to do my own service on the timing belt very soon. Have almost all the parts and need a good window of weather and I'm in. I am changing out the WP, timing belt, timing belt tensioner, tensioner roller, idler roller, theromstat, and the serpentine belt. I will probably leave the seals alone. This will save me over $1,000.00

I am also going to replace the spark plugs, clean the throttle body and probably do the fluids in the differentials and the transfer case. Another $200 - $300 in savings

Oh yeah... and if you do some research you will find that the 2UZ - FE is in fact, an interference engine. The guy you spoke with should know better... your motor would be toast if you were driving it while the belt snapped.
    Last edited by Dinosaur; 04-02-2012 at 10:54 PM.
    Rob K.

2006 DC, SR5, 4.7L, 5 speed, 4WD, LSD, Silver Sky Metallic, Keyless Entry, Tow Package
    Rackit (powder coated), Leer 100 w/Windoors, Westin wheel to wheel step bars
    Air lift Ride Control w/Quick Shot and Onboard Air, Bilstein 5100s (middle notch), Wheeler's AAL
    Powerslot cryo rotors, Hawk HD pads
    Bedrug, Slide Master bed-slide, Pop & Lock, Scangauge II, Viper 5601, MB Quart Speakers
    Toyo ATIIs 265/70/17 10 ply / Michelin LTX 265/70/17 Es
    Racor remote transmission filter, All Amsoil synthetic lubricants

Waiting to be installed:
    Eclipse Amp,
    TC steering rack bushings, TC diff drop, Downey end links, Kartec CV boots

Wish List:
    Headers, SS exhaust system, Sliders, Spidetrax
    HD front bumber (Reuenal or ARB), Mile Marker Winch

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Treat others as you would like to be treated

Liked
    0 times

Replacer mine for the first time on my 03 at 148k.

Liked
    26 times

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur View Post
    I am going to do my own service on the timing belt very soon. Have almost all the parts and need a good window of weather and I'm in. I am changing out the WP, timing belt, timing belt tensioner, tensioner roller, idler roller, theromstat, and the serpentine belt. I will probably leave the seals alone. This will save me over $1,000.00

I am also going to replace the spark plugs, clean the throttle body and probably do the fluids in the differentials and the transfer case. Another $200 - $300 in savings

Oh yeah... and if you do some research you will find that the 2UZ - FE is in fact, an interference engine. The guy you spoke with should know better... your motor would be toast if you were driving it while the belt snapped.
    Add a tube of RTV sealant to that list. I just did mines a couple of weeks ago on a newly aquired 04 DC with 151k miles. The cams/crank seals didn't leak so I left that alone. And yes the 4.7L V8 is an interference engine!
    -'04 Tundra DC-
    Clear Corner Lens, LED Tail Lights, A.R.E. Tonneau Cover, Flowmaster 50 Series Muffler, Magnaflow High Flow Cats, Resonator Removed, K&N Filter, Poly Steering Bushings, Westin Step Rails, Billet Lower Grill, 30% Tinted Doors, Tinted Top Windshield Strip, Debadged, White LED Interior & Plate Lights, Kenwood HU, Polk Audio Door Speakers, 285/50/20 on Deep Six, Dome Light Mod, Fog Light Mod...

-'03 Tundra AC w/ 62,361 miles SOLD 4/10/12-
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...s/#post1799117

Liked
    25 times

I replaced the hoses at the same time since the radiator will be taken out.
    Gatorman76 and rws1145 like this.

Liked
    95 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by main70072 View Post
    Add a tube of RTV sealant to that list. I just did mines a couple of weeks ago on a newly aquired 04 DC with 151k miles. The cams/crank seals didn't leak so I left that alone. And yes the 4.7L V8 is an interference engine!
    Yes... that is on the list.

Thanks.
    Rob K.

2006 DC, SR5, 4.7L, 5 speed, 4WD, LSD, Silver Sky Metallic, Keyless Entry, Tow Package
    Air lift Ride Control w/Quick Shot and Onboard Air, Bilstein 5100s (middle notch), Wheeler's AAL
    Bedrug, Slide Master bed-slide, Pop & Lock, Scangauge II, Viper 5601, MB Quart Speakers

Waiting to be installed:
    Eclipse Amp,

Wish List:

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Liked
    80 times
    Images

I did this a couple of years ago.....
    Gonna Change The T~Belt.....Today
    There are a few "O" rings that will need replacing....I also did the tensioner, idler pulleys, T-stat as well as the new H2O pump and Toyota Anti-Freeze.
    It's not too terribly difficult to do....but there are LOTS of parts, nuts, bolts, brackets to remove and replace.
    Take your time, take pictures, label your parts (if that helps you..it does me!)
    Let me know if you want the FSM pages for the T Belt and I'll post 'em.
    JAYMATIK likes this.
    TheGryme Do It Right, No One Remembers. Do It Wrong....No One Forgets!
    '04 Tundra DC
    Grey....V8 SR5 4X4 TRD Off Road Suspension, LSD, Towing Package, 5100's Front & Rear, Total Chaos UCAz, Cooper Discoverer AT3 265 75 16 Tires, Magnaflowed, UNIChipped, True~Flowed (w/ Secret AirBox Mods!), DeBadged, ScanGaged, XM'ed, a Few Scrapes and Dings.....Yeah!
    '12 Camry SE
    Silver with Limo Black Tinted Windows, 4 cyl. 6 Speed Auto, Black Leather Interior, De-Badged....Stock......For Now!
    '92 4Runner
    Black, V6, Downey / Rancho suspension F&R, 3 inch sus lift, 1 inch body lift, SAW T-Barz, 4:88's, ARB (rear), 32X12.50 BS Dualers on AR 8X15 Wheelz, Power Slots and Pads, Downey headers, MagnaFlo Muff, K&N FIPK, Ported heads, 1 piece stainless valves...way too much money in it!
    '04 YZ250F
    Dr.D Header and Can, JD Jetting, P38 AP, UNI Flame Proof Air Filter, No Back Fire Screen, Carbon Fiber Carb Heat Shield, Renthals, Maxxis Desert IT Tires, ASV Controls....
    '87 Nissan Pathfinder......gone but not forgotten.

Liked
    95 times
    Images

Thanks. There was another timing belt thread recently that we posted in.

Help me out. Timing belt replacement troubles

One of us TS folks (mibro) posted notes on the job. I DLd those and I have the FSM so I am feeling pretty good to go. I will be glad to get the WP off there. I saw coolant seepage under it a while back. And, I am looking forward to cleaning the throttle body hoping it will make a difference in how she is running. Lately there has been a lower than normal idle at times.
    Rob K.

Waiting to be installed:
    Eclipse Amp,

Wish List:

Rookie
    Liked
    9 times

Thank you for all the responses! This helps a lot. So I understand the 4.7L is definitely an interference engine. Can't believe the guy behind the Toyota service counter told me otherwise. In all my searching, I haven't read about any broken timing belts under 150K miles, but I don't want to be the first either. I have a good friend professional mechanic that will be doing this job for me. He has a 2000 Tundra, and is very good at what he does. I think I might wait until the 200K mile mark to replace the hoses though. Toyota parts dept doesn't even stock the pullies, and they don't recommend replacing them either. I was going with OEM Toyota parts all the way. Hopefully, this is my last question: Does anyone know of a higher quality timing belt kit for aftermarket? Or are the Toyota OEM parts the best. I'm not as concerned with price, as I am about reliability and quality. Thanks for everyone's advice on this too!!!

Liked
    273 times
    Images

These are the best kits money can buy, choose the amount of parts you want to replace!

Basic kit
    Premium Kit
    Ultimate Kit

If you are buying them yourself, this is really the only way to go. Everything is OEM (or OEM quality) just rebranded to reflect the manufacturer that actually produces them for toyota
    Dinosaur and TundraDad1 like this.
    2001 Black AC V8 4x4

Current Mods: TrailFX Tube Steps, Uniden CB Radio with PA, Recon Tailgate LED Bar, Edelbrock Exhaust, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/R16, Blacked Out Emblems, Plastidip Mirror Caps, Bumpers and Front Grill, Skid Row Skid Plate (Thanks to four_by_four), Full Blue LED interior lighting, Herculiner Bed Liner, Kobalt Low Profile Tool Box, Smitty Built Rear Shackle, Walmart Front AUX lights, JVC Headunit, Kicker Front Components, Pioneer Rear Speakers, Magnefine Filter, Viper Remote Start, Single in-Dual out 2.25in Exhaust
    Thanks to Rust: New Frame, New Calipers, New Rear Axle, Sway Bar End Links, Tailgate Straps, Exhaust Leaks
    To Do: Diff Fluid, Kenwood DDX419, 5100s Front and Rear set to 1in, Diff Drop, Poly Rack Bushings
    Quote Originally Posted by italiantundra88 View Post
    dave, every one has a weekness, yours is just any work on your truck

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast