05 DC over charging

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By marvbest
  • 4 Post By Remmy700P

Thread: 05 DC over charging

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 05 DC over charging

I have a 05 DC 4wd. Owned since new with 110,000 miles on it.

Still has the original battery. Green light, starts fine. Truck is completely stock.

For the last couple of years I have noticed it leads bad - the brace across the top is half gone with corrosion, and my entire inner wheel well has what looks like a light coating of rust/spray on it. It is rust colored, but you can wipe it down with the a strong brake cleaner and most of it will come off. It has made the underside of my hood look rough.

Then the other day I replaced a rear/outside bed light - the ones by the 3rd brake light. On both sides, both bulbs had melted holes in the plastic housing assembly. It just looks like someone heated the bulbs up and the plastic melted completely down onto the bulbs and formed a hole.

They may not have anything to do with each other, but could these two issues be a sign of over charging?

I have read some comments about checking the ground for a poor connection. Can anyone point in a direction to check these things?

I have no other related issues, nor has the truck experienced any other issues, except it seems to go through a lot of bulbs. I am on my 2-3rd set of headlights, and have replaced numerous market lamps, brake lamps, and 4-5 interior bulbs are out.

Any ideas or advice?

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    772 times
    Images

Default Re: 05 DC over charging

to check for over charging, start the truck and look at the voltage meter on the dash. it should be between the middle and the 18 volt notch. if is is pointing at the 18 then it is overcharging. and since its the original battery it could be causing the altenator to work harder and supply the battery with more voltage then needed. thus sending more power to all the accesories.
    Last edited by tundra3400; 04-18-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    2000 Tundra 1A0 Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 209,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Install Click here), Uniden PRO 520XL CB, 4in LED Reverse Lights (Install Click Here)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Lock-Rite (maybe)

Liked
    216 times

Take off the alternator and many car parts stores (AutoZone, Napa, O'Reilly) will test it for free. I'm guessing that the regulator within the alternator is bad hence it's output is above normal. REMEMBER to disconnect the battery before attempting to disconnect the wiring to the alternator.
    Jonesy likes this.

Liked
    220 times

The melting by the bulbs is fairly normal, even if the bulbs aren't super hot they will heat the plastic and over time it will look like the bulbs got super hot and melted the plastic.

To check for overcharging, just use a multimeter across the battery terminals while the truck is running. Anything 15v and over you should be concerned, but I don't think up to that should be cause for alarm. I had my voltage regulator go back in August and I drove the truck for 2-3 days where it would hit 18-19 volts (via scanguage) but fortunately no permanent damage occurred.

Liked
    2943 times
    Images

OK. Your battery is outgassing so badly that you have sulfuric acid dissolving the battery hold-down bar and etching the engine bay paint. Why haven't you replaced the damn thing already?
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    526 times
    Images

no kidding. i lasted 6 years with mine and it started strong till i bought me a red top. it's gonna let you down someday when you least expect it....
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com