Cat-back? Flowmaster 40?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By italiantundra88
  • 2 Post By SuckersWalk
  • 2 Post By tundrunk
  • 2 Post By italiantundra88
  • 1 Post By tundrunk

Thread: Cat-back? Flowmaster 40?

BaW
    Liked
    0 times

Default Cat-back? Flowmaster 40?

Was thinking about putting a flowmaster 40 series on, however i still have the stock piping. I was going to put a cat-back system on and the flowmaster 40s. but my question is what is a cat-back ... yes i know ... So if im understanding this correctly a cat-back will replace the piping from AFTER the cats and then go into the muffler correct? removing the resistor in the loop?

Thanks was going to get this done tomoro

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supercharged Member italiantundra88's Avatar
    Liked
    361 times
    Images

Default Re: Cat-back? Flowmaster 40?

Quote Originally Posted by BaW View Post
    Was thinking about putting a flowmaster 40 series on, however i still have the stock piping. I was going to put a cat-back system on and the flowmaster 40s. but my question is what is a cat-back ... yes i know ... So if im understanding this correctly a cat-back will replace the piping from AFTER the cats and then go into the muffler correct? removing the resistor in the loop?

Thanks was going to get this done tomoro

yes from the cats back, but i think it all depends on what you want. if a shop is fabbing you up an exhaust that is cat back, you can chose to keep the res or not. if your ar buying it i think some come with an aftermarket res.
    07 Tundra Limited DC 5.7 TRD Off Road
    All interior leds, and led reverse lights, black headlight mod, morimoto mini H1 projector retrofit with 5000k hids 5000k 55w hid fogs, debadged, 2010 sport color matching grill, 2 sundown sd 10s in a fox under seat box, afe stage 2 cold air intake, super 44 flowmasters dumped after rear axel

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...store-coupons/ GOOD STUFF IN HERE

Quote Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
    she got mad when i came home and sat in the truck before going inside to see her... i guess the tundra just requires less money and maintenance.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
    The sad part is, when I googled "blowmaster" images a picture of my truck comes up, fail.

BaW
    Liked
    0 times

Now the big question is .... Is it worth it? to get the cat back? Performance? sound? MPG? I havent checked pricing with them yet, but im guessing if they run me a new pipe it wont be too bad, becz I was just going to do a new muffler without any new pipes

Liked
    361 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BaW View Post
    Now the big question is .... Is it worth it? to get the cat back? Performance? sound? MPG? I havent checked pricing with them yet, but im guessing if they run me a new pipe it wont be too bad, becz I was just going to do a new muffler without any new pipes
    here's the way i look at it. it all depends on your budget. all yotas come from the factory with stainless exhaust. most budget exhaust are aluminized. i have heard it lasting with life time guarantees and it rotting out in a year. if you can afford it go back with stainless and forget about. since i was on a super tight budget i simply had the shop cut out the stock muffler and weld in a stainless magnaflow madnapack. also for performance i would stick to close to the stock size piping. i think the norm advice around here is to go no bigger than 2.5' because lose of back pressure causes low end torque loss (another reason i kept the stock piping).

it also depends on what you want. i doubt you will see any significant change in mpg other than the fact that you will love the sound and find it hard to keep your foot out of it causing your mpgs to drop . if you are looking for performance i would go with the cat back but it still wont be much. and if you are only going for sound just swap out the stock muffler and have them simply weld it in or add duals after the muffler. it will be cheaper.
    Jonesy likes this.
    All interior leds, and led reverse lights, black headlight mod, morimoto mini H1 projector retrofit with 5000k hids 5000k 55w hid fogs, debadged, 2010 sport color matching grill, 2 sundown sd 10s in a fox under seat box, afe stage 2 cold air intake, super 44 flowmasters dumped after rear axel

she got mad when i came home and sat in the truck before going inside to see her... i guess the tundra just requires less money and maintenance.....
    The sad part is, when I googled "blowmaster" images a picture of my truck comes up, fail.

Liked
    1739 times
    Images

save your money. just replace the muff with a 18" magnaflow and be done with it. in cali, i wouldn't even pay the extra price for a stainless muffler because rust isn't an issue there.
    Jonesy and cpearson817 like this.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    2220 times
    Images

I personally couldn't deal with a flowy 40 on my Tundra, then again I had it dumped under the passenger seat area. It droned like no other, so bad that I'd make cars near me drone. Watching peoples faces when I got next to them on freeways at 2k RPM was almost worth it, watching them try to speed away and keeping up with them made it ALMOST worth keeping.

Save the cash, cut out the resonator and have it bridged, cut out the muffler and put in the one of your choice. Pray that it doesn't drone. Straight through mufflers sound great on these trucks(think glasspack), turbo style mufflers are quiet. I personally love Spintech, I've thought about swapping this muffler out for years but I can't bare to, it might stay forever.
    Last edited by tundrunk; 04-25-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelled google wrong, I'll admit it. it happened.
    cpearson817 and arobb407 like this.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    1739 times
    Images

blowmaster or dronemaster ???
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    2220 times
    Images

Same thing. It blows while it drones. I'm still mad that my truck comes up! At least it's an old pic from the stock days, maybe nobody will recognize it... then again anybody who finds it could be questioned on why they google-imaged blowmaster.
    - Sublime

Supporter
    Liked
    97 times
    Images

BAM muffler with branch resonator; done.

BaW
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks guys! I live out in colorado now so im going to ask about the stainless steel option from them. Im probably not going to go with a cat back since there is no point due to the power lose. So im probably just going to have them dump the resonator and put a flowmaster 40 on, he did say something about a flowmaster 10, but i think thats going to be a little LOUD. They are going to put both on today and let me hear the difference.

Well just talked to them, they will be putting a Flowmaster 40 series original on, which by default is stainless steel. If i got the Flowmaster 40 series SUPER its Aluminized Steel.

I hear that the original is louder then the super however the super flows better. anyone know about this?
    Last edited by BaW; 04-26-2012 at 06:50 AM.

Liked
    361 times
    Images

The sad part is, when I googled "blowmaster" images a picture of my truck comes up, fail. .
    this is going in the sig tundrunk
    tundrunk and arobb407 like this.

Liked
    100 times
    Images

I have a Flowmaster 40 with 3" catback and dual 2.5" turndowns. I DEFINITELY lost a little torque from it. But the exhaust is loud as hell! It's very aggressive and I can consistently set off car alarms in parking structures or small streets. I absolutely love the way it sounds though.

In-Cab Audio Clips: 05 Tundra 4.7L w/Airaid CAI & Flowmaster Exhaust - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wujbdZ5B-S4
    Last edited by NoKz; 04-26-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    R.I.P: 2005 SR5 DoubleCab
    2005 SR5 DC | 6.5" Custom Tuff Country Lift | 35" Hankooks On 17" KMC Revolvers | JBA Headers | Flowmaster 40 Exhaust | QTP Exhaust Cutout |
    | VIS Racing Fiberglass Hood | Fabtech Spare Tire Mount | 5% Tint w/20% Tint on Windshield | 4:56 Gears | Truetrac Detroit Locker | And Much More!

New Ride: 2009 Lexus ES350
    5% Tint & 20% Windshield | De-Badged "Lexus" & "ES 350" Emblems | 3M Gloss Black Vinyl Wrapped Roof
    Coming Soon: Tinted Tail Lights, HID Hi-Lo & Fogs, Black Emblems/Grill, Custom audio w/15" custom ported box and sub.

Liked
    2220 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by italiantundra88 View Post
    this is going in the sig tundrunk
    LMAO! I deserve that. That's almost funnier than the time I needed new nuts.
    BobbyB likes this.
    - Sublime