rear end noise?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: rear end noise?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default rear end noise?

Has anybody experienced a kind of wop, wop, wop noise from the rear end? It starts around 30mph and doesnt change while accelerating or decelerating. It doesnt change in neutral or while applying the brakes.

2002 AC with 265/70/18s

Thanks for any feedback...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2874 times
    Images

Default Re: rear end noise?

Tires.
    tundra3400 likes this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Nope...I have replaced my tires about 15k miles ago and still have the noise...I have rotated the tires several times and again..I still have the noise.

Could it be the rear wheel bearings?

Liked
    2874 times
    Images

It could be a bearing. It could be a bent rear drum backing plate rubbing. Hard to tell over the interweb you know?!??
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    2076 times
    Images

Is it a wop wop wop or a woom woom woom? The later could be a rear end going out.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    272,449 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    2655 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    It could be a bearing. It could be a bent rear drum backing plate rubbing. Hard to tell over the interweb you know?!??
    Sign me up for a bearing. Jack the rear tires off the ground and see if you can find any movement/looseness when wiggling the wheel. Slip the transmission into neutral and rotate the wheels. Look for anything rough or gravely and listen for any noise that's out of the ordinary. Even if you don't find anything loose it still could be the wheel bearing. Just my two cents worth.
    Last edited by Jonesy; 08-01-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    2005 4.7L~RCLB~LSD~DSM~2 WD~Cold Weather Package~Towing Package
    Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back~
    Retrax Pro Bed Cover
    Bed Mat~Split Spoke Alloy Wheels~BAK Bed Rail Covers
    31K Miles & Counting

Liked
    623 times
    Images

yea but when a bearing goes bad it usually gets louder the faster it rotates. the way the OP stated it, the noise is the same after 30 MPH.
    2000 Tundra Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 208,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, CV Boot Clamp Mod, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Install Click here)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    CB Radio, AUX Reverse LEDs, Lock-Rite (maybe)

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

your right highwaylizard it is more of a woom, woom.. if its the rear end will I see shavings or anything?
    @ Tundra 3400 the noise picks up with speed to a point, but ya, not until 30 or so

Liked
    623 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pvpct View Post
    your right highwaylizard it is more of a woom, woom.. if its the rear end will I see shavings or anything?
    @ Tundra 3400 the noise picks up with speed to a point, but ya, not until 30 or so
    oh ok yea you didnt mention that in the OP. i would say that its a bearing then.
    2000 Tundra Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 208,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, CV Boot Clamp Mod, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Install Click here)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    CB Radio, AUX Reverse LEDs, Lock-Rite (maybe)

Liked
    2076 times
    Images

Do a shot drain of the differential oil. Clean the area around the fill bolt and loosen it. Remove it and using a clean Styrofoam cup, run a shot of differential oil into the cup and then put the plug back in. If it is silvery or has flakes in it then you know the rest of the sad story.
    tundra3400 likes this.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    272,449 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    1 times

X2 on a bearing, although I wouldn't rule out a bent axle shaft. Is your truck always empty? Does the noise change if you are carrying a load?
    Get Your 90915-20004 Oil Filters Here
    Want a Case of Them?

Want OEM parts but don't want to pay retail? I sell most OEM parts at 25% off list. Just send me a PM and tell me what you're looking for.

Lurking Member Built_Not_Bought's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Have same noise as OP with my 06 had it for a long time, got truck with 39k on it now have 72k still makes same noise. Drives me crazy. Replaced a wheel bearing nothing changed. Thinking it is carrier bearing or maybe rear lsd / carrier.
    Let me know if you fixed the problem.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Here is how I normally check for rear noise. Jack up rear wheel put jack stand on both sides. Put it in drive let it spin the wheel you can probably here where is that noise coming from

Liked
    2350 times
    Images

If it's more of a whhhoooof noise I'd say watch what you eat.

The rear end could be going out, mine made a similar noise for over a year and eventually it got louder/more pronounced. It eventually got to a point where when I decelerated it made a whirring noise and sometimes a noise that sounded like I had empty cans bouncing around in my bed. Even more eventually, my rear end locked up a few times while driving from a stop... yikes. I put the rear axle up on jack stands, put blocks in front of the front tires, put it in drive and went behind to listen. I was angry to hear the thump thump thump of my blown out rear end, but it had to go sometime. There is a pin in the carrier that came out, wedging itself between ring and pinion, it destroyed everything.
    Good luck.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    63 times
    Images

I have a "whoom whoom whoom" at speed, but haven't figured out if it's my new tires or my rear end yet. My diff fluid is pretty metallic for having changed it only 15k miles ago, but not any more metallic than what a regular oil change looks like. It was super nasty when I did change it though. Probably the first change it ever had, around 85k miles.
    What kind of life span (in miles) does a rear end have once it starts making noise?
    tundrunk, I remember reading a while back about your dilemma, but can't remember the details. What kind of price am I looking at if my rear end eventually goes out?
    2000 Tundra SR5 2WD... Camburg UCAs, Camburg 2.5" coil-overs, Deaver 10-packs, Bilstein 5100s, Moog LBJs, BFG A/T 285/75/16s, TRD bead-lock wheels, K&N air filter, 18" MagnaFlow muffler, clear corners, Sylvania fog/headlights, full LED conversion, Kenwood head unit & 6-3/4" 3-way speakers, Sound Ordnance B-8PT 8" subwoofer, Coverking neoprene seat covers... so far...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast