Transmission slipping help!

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Transmission slipping help!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Transmission slipping help!

I have a 2000 tundra v8 the transmission started slipping a couple months ago and after reading alot of posts on here about how junk those transmissions are i feared the worst so i drained and refilled the pan cleaned the filter out, wich had a bunch of gunk in it (looked like gasket material) and put a new gasket on. then i drained 12 quarts and refilled it seemed to be fine after i drove it for two days then it started again. when its slipping bad i can smell the atf burning and it seems like the trans is making alot of ticking or something it mostly only does it after i stop and try to take off again and 4 wheel drive doesnt seem to wanna engage either. does anybody have any more insight on this issue because ive owned this truck for a year and a half and is definitely one of the worst vehicles ive ever owned i had to do front brakes/calipers power steering lines, brake lines, frame and now this i cant afford anymore on this truck and if i really do need a trans its gonna set me back awhile even if i do it myself (around 1000$) i dont know what else to try, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    50 times
    Images

Default Re: Transmission slipping help!

Sounds like the previous owner did not believe in preventitive maintenance. Maybe you should reassess who/what you are calling a piece of crap.
    arseum and kerryman71 like this.

Liked
    1799 times
    Images

did you run auto rx through the tranny before your drain and fill?
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    3 times

have you try Lucas Trans Fix, it may be help. I use it on my mine & it shift better & smoother, you can get it from almost any Auto Part. The cost around $12. Oh, one more thing is making sure your ATF level it exactly right, from my experience even 2 oz more or less it make a big different in MPG, ATF Heat built up. hopefully this help.
    kerryman71 likes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by buglao View Post
    have you try Lucas Trans Fix, it may be help. I use it on my mine & it shift better & smoother, you can get it from almost any Auto Part. The cost around $12. Oh, one more thing is making sure your ATF level it exactly right, from my experience even 2 oz more or less it make a big different inMPG, ATF Heat built up. hopefully this help.

I didnt try the auto rx but i heard about it it seems if i let it sit for a day two it drives fine for a day or two. Would i need to do a flush again to use the auto rx? Could it be something wrong with the cooler? I have the towing package but i havent had any leaks.

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    531 times
    Images

might as well try it like the directions suggest. it will be your last resort before a new Tx.....
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Liked
    802 times
    Images

Have you checked the fluid level? Might as well start at the basics. If it's down a little it will start slipping. What do you mean by gasket material? Unless the 2000 is different than my 2002, the pan doesn't have a traditional gasket, it's RTV sealant. I dropped my pan and cleaned it out six years ago and had to "break" the seal to get it off. I remember after a day or two I had the slipping. Come to find out I hadn't put the washer back on the drain plug and was losing a little fluid, most likely while driving. It wasn't showing up as a puddle under the truck. If you didn't seal the pan properly maybe you're losing fluid through the gasket.

I agree with doing the Auto RX if you find everything else to be normal. Check out their website for instructions on how to use the product. It should answer any questions.

By the way, how many miles are on the truck? I don't think it's necessarily a fair assertion to call it a piece of junk after you bought it at ten years old. It could've been turned into a piece of junk because the previous owner didn't do anything to it. Either way, good luck. I hope it turns out to be an easy fix.

John
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by kerryman71 View Post
    Have you checked the fluid level? Might as well start at the basics. If it's down a little it will start slipping. What do you mean by gasket material? Unless the 2000 is different than my 2002, the pan doesn't have a traditional gasket, it's RTV sealant. I dropped my pan and cleaned it out six years ago and had to "break" the seal to get it off. I remember after a day or two I had the slipping. Come to find out I hadn't put the washer back on the drain plug and was losing a little fluid, most likely while driving. It wasn't showing up as a puddle under the truck. If you didn't seal the pan properly maybe you're losing fluid through the gasket.

I agree with doing the Auto RX if you find everything else to be normal. Check out their website for instructions on how to use the product. It should answer any questions.

By the way, how many miles are on the truck? I don't think it's necessarily a fair assertion to call it a piece of junk after you bought it at ten years old. It could've been turned into a piece of junk because the previous owner didn't do anything to it. Either way, good luck. I hope it turns out to be an easy fix.

John

well the truck has 152xxx mi. when i dropped the pan it pretty much just fell right off. the filter was so clogged with stuff i couldnt even get water to run through it so i kept running water into it and shaking it out and brown gunk kept falling out of it until it started to run right through and i bought a new filter online but it was the wrong one but it came with a gasket that fit so i just put that one on. the pan did have a bit of sludge on the bottom so maybe it leaked a bit at one time? it hasnt leaked at all since. the level might have been a bit low before but its good now. the atf that i drained out before was really dark and didnt seem to get much brighter even at the end of the flush. should i flush more? i used one of the methods i read on this website by draining two quarts at a time then filling it but i couldnt get any fluid to come out of the return line from the aux cooler to the trans like it said, i just used the send line to the radiator cooler to drain it. i read somewhere that the towing package had a sensor that you needed to disable to drain the fluid or something? but i think that was a 2nd gen and i guess im just more mad about the truck because i feel ripped off by the place i bought it from because all the money i put in i definitely wont make back.i really did like the truck when i first bought it but oh well as soon as i get this figured out its gone! lol

Liked
    155 times
    Images

Did you ever think about how a truck that is 12 years old may need some work done to it? Or how the previous owner possibly could have not taken proper care of it? Just the fact that at 152,000 miles this truck is already experiencing transmission issues is a huge hint that the previous owner was an idiot and didn't do any preventative maintenance. In that case, you had better make sure the timing belt was done at around 90k miles before it breaks on you, blowing your engine, and giving you another excuse to come on the forum and complain about something that could have been prevented.

By the way, what are you planning on replacing it with?

Sent from my Xoom using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    cpearson817 likes this.
    2005 Tundra SR5 TRD Access Cab (Gone, but not forgotten) Sold with 119,426 miles

2003 BMW 530i Alpine White (5-speed manual)

M5 rear spoiler|M Sport Front Bumper|17" BBS RK Wheels (8.5" front, 10" rear)|Eibach front and rear anti-sway bars|Solowerks S1 Coilovers|Muffler Delete Mod|ZHP Shift Knob|M Sport Steering Wheel Swap

Liked
    802 times
    Images

I would do another flush, this time making sure you have enough ATF on hand so that at some point you start getting somewhat clean ATF coming out. I would also incorporate the Auto RX into the mix. I've never used it but there are reputable members on this forum who swear by it, so I can recommend it.

John

Liked
    216 times

In one of your earlier posts you said "i used one of the methods i read on this website by draining two quarts at a time then filling it but i couldnt get any fluid to come out of the return line from the aux cooler to the trans like it said, i just used the send line to the radiator cooler to drain it."
    Did you have the engine running when you did not get any ATF to flow out of the aux trans cooler? If so, then you have a blockage and the ATF will not be cooled and thus run higher than normal temperature. Also your description of cleaning the trans filter gives the impression that due to the one purchased on the web being incorrect you reused the original one that was initially totally plugged?
    "You can lead a smart-ass kid to knowledge, but you can be sure that he'll have to argue with the facts"

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by marvbest View Post
    In one of your earlier posts you said "i used one of the methods i read on this website by draining two quarts at a time then filling it but i couldnt get any fluid to come out of the return line from the aux cooler to the trans like it said, i just used the send line to the radiator cooler to drain it."
    Did you have the engine running when you did not get any ATF to flow out of the aux trans cooler? If so, then you have a blockage and the ATF will not be cooled and thus run higher than normal temperature. Also your description of cleaning the trans filter gives the impression that due to the one purchased on the web being incorrect you reused the original one that was initially totally plugged?
    Yea i had it running when i did the flush and from what i read the atf was supposed to come out pretty fast out of the return
    Line instead it barely trickled for a second then stopped. A blockage could make sense because its pretty intermitent and when it starts to slip i can smell it burn . Would a power flush fix that or maybe the auto rx stuff? I thought about taking it somewhere to do a power flush but then i also heard that can create even more problems. I did reuse the filter caus it has the screen and it seemed like i got it all cleaned out after everything i did i think it did drive better overall but slightly i guess and that just couldve been because the atf was old

Liked
    2953 times
    Images

You have to figure out where the blockage is. This might not be a home DIY.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    802 times
    Images

Didn't pick up on the blockage. I don't think you should do anything else until you find the blockage and fix that part of the problem or have a mechanic do it. Flushing and filling and doing an Auto RX treatment may result in you wasting money on something that still won't work and doing damage to the tranny, if it hasn't already happened. I would say find the source of the blockage and fix it or get it fixed, then do an Auto RX treatment with new fluid.

John

Liked
    216 times

Once you complete what kerryman71 said and get the trans functioning again, then I'd recommend you install an in-line Magnefine transmission filter into the ATF line after the aux cooler going back to the trans. There are numerous threads with pictures already on here describing this simple filter installation.
    Remmy700P and kerryman71 like this.
    "You can lead a smart-ass kid to knowledge, but you can be sure that he'll have to argue with the facts"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.