Temporary muffler fix

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Temporary muffler fix

Liked
    802 times
    Images

Default Temporary muffler fix

Well, here's my conundrum. I have a small hole developing in my muffler. Generally I would buy a new one and install it, however I'm having surgery on the 21st of this month and will be out of commission for a while. By the time I'm somewhat back in commission it will be winter, so it would probably be another few months before I would install the new muffler. I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with patching a muffler? I was thinking of getting some metal and cutting it to fit and using some high temp rivets to install it. I would probably put some JB Weld under the patch as well as around the edges once it's in, just to make sure.

On a good note, my driving will be limited for a while, so I won't be putting mega miles on the truck with the temporary patch. I'm trying to button up so many things before the surgery that I just don't think I'll have time to get to doing it myself for now. Any advice is appreciated.

John
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1740 times
    Images

Default Re: Temporary muffler fix

i've used a muffler bandage wrap type thingy i bought at schnucks back in the day. it worked good enough to drive it over to the dealer where i traded it in. that said, i recommend either replace the muff before you go under the knife, or just wait until you've recovered. like you said, you won't be putting that many miles on it during your recovery.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    802 times
    Images

Yeah, I might just replace it. My biggest concern was getting it in time as I was going to order it from toyotapartszone. After finding out shipping would be $250, I'll just go to the dealer and get one and put it in. I'll be doing the brakes, so I'll probably do it that same day. It's only from the resonator back, so shouldn't be too bad.

John

Liked
    1740 times
    Images

grab a magnaflow off amazon and it should be at your house by wednesday, if not the weekend
    Remmy700P likes this.

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    1740 times
    Images

Search for your answer.

Liked
    354 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SuckersWalk View Post
    grab a magnaflow off amazon and it should be at your house by wednesday, if not the weekend
    Agreed. Or if you find more than just the muffler is starting to go, buy a cat back system. Much cheaper than the dealer and you dont have to spend a ton of money or get one that's really loud.
    2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
    Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner.

Liked
    1 times

I patched my muffler over a year ago by welding a pc of steel over a large hole using my MIG, so its certainly possible if youhave access to the right tools. Not sure how well rivets or jb weld would work, my guess is it wouldn't last long
    2001 Toyota Tundra TRD V8, access cab, Bilstein 5100's, A.R.E. Cap

1996 Toyota Tacoma Thunder V6 Ext cab, Frame Rust Recall 2008... RIP ol'friend

1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ - rebuilt frame, rebuilt body... you think Toyota's rust!!
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...thread-747404/

Supercharged Member italiantundra88's Avatar
    Liked
    361 times
    Images

my vote is for a magnaflow oval muffler if you want to keep the stock sound and keep the budget low. from what i hear the ovals with a res give you just a tad more rumble under acceleration. if do want a little sound i have an 18" magnapack that went right in place of the stock muffler no problem. it is quiet cruising and rumbly under acceleration. plus it is stainless. and i got it shipped to my door in 3-4 days for under 60 bucks
    07 Tundra Limited DC 5.7 TRD Off Road
    All interior leds, led reverse lights, black headlight mod, custom homemade led third brake light, morimoto mini H1 projector retrofit with 5000k hids, 6000k 55w hid fogs, debadged, 2010 sport color matching grill, 2 sundown sd 10s in a fox under seat box, afe stage 2 cold air intake, super 44 flowmasters dumped after rear axel, tundra racing rear flip leveling kit, 22" black rhino traverse, tundra racing helper bag kit (made to fit their level kits)...

Quote Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
    she got mad when i came home and sat in the truck before going inside to see her... i guess the tundra just requires less money and maintenance.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
    The sad part is, when I googled "blowmaster" images a picture of my truck comes up, fail.

Liked
    802 times
    Images

What are your thoughts on the quality of the Magnaflows, those of you who've used them? The exhaust I have is the original, 10 years old with just over 132K miles on it, and living in the Northeast to boot. I have no problem paying more from the dealer and installing it myself to get something just as reliable. I don't want to be changing it out every two or three years. Thoughts?

John

Liked
    1740 times
    Images

i am confident mine will last 10 years. however, at 1/4 the cost of the dealer's muff, my calc says its the way to go.

Search for your answer.

Supercharged Member italiantundra88's Avatar
    Liked
    361 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SuckersWalk View Post
    i am confident mine will last 10 years. however, at 1/4 the cost of the dealer's muff, my calc says its the way to go.
    ditto. i feel magnaflow makes quality products. and they are made out of stainless so its better than most out there made from aluminized
    07 Tundra Limited DC 5.7 TRD Off Road
    All interior leds, led reverse lights, black headlight mod, custom homemade led third brake light, morimoto mini H1 projector retrofit with 5000k hids, 6000k 55w hid fogs, debadged, 2010 sport color matching grill, 2 sundown sd 10s in a fox under seat box, afe stage 2 cold air intake, super 44 flowmasters dumped after rear axel, tundra racing rear flip leveling kit, 22" black rhino traverse, tundra racing helper bag kit (made to fit their level kits)...

Quote Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
    she got mad when i came home and sat in the truck before going inside to see her... i guess the tundra just requires less money and maintenance.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
    The sad part is, when I googled "blowmaster" images a picture of my truck comes up, fail.

Liked
    360 times

I have a ton of Tundra mufflers. Price depends on year, but I have some complete stock systems too. I can also make you a muffler. What year is your truck? I'm talking stock muffler for pennies on the dollar compared to dealer. I have like 10 gen2 Tundra systems and 3-4 gen1 partial systems, on hand ready to ship.

Can you tell I build aftermarket exhaust for Tundra's?? LOL

I can also build you a quiet high flow muffler.

Google search 'how a properly built exhaust system works' It will send you to a thread on this forum, you can read about the birth of the BAmuffler. I can make a muffler as quiet, or as loud as you'd want it to be, Plus I have the experience to make that determination, ordering a generic muffler online might get you close, I can put you right in the bullz eye, I've built more systems on MY truck than I can count, much less the hundreds that I've built on other Tundra's......

Not bragging.........Applying for a job LOL 760-877-4234. Keith
    I like to build BAmufflers

Liked
    802 times
    Images

Sounds good, but how much and how long to ship it to Massachusetts?

John

Liked
    360 times

complete stock drop out $50, (if this is for a 1gen Tundra) shipping is usually around $75 if you're in an urban area, if you live way out in a rural area shipping jumps a lot.

I can make ya a 20" long muffler for $150, add $75 to put on a Helmholtz resonator which stops drone. For a 1 gen Tundra usually I'd make a muffler that is only 12" long, but it sounds like you want your truck pretty quiet.

There are still a lot of unknowns on my part so I've just quoted you very loosely.
    I like to build BAmufflers

Liked
    802 times
    Images

Thanks for the info. I see that you replied to my attempt to pm you last night. I'll resend my pm from last night to you later on.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast