Upgrade Long tube headers for 1 first gen - Page 5

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Long tube headers for 1 first gen

Liked
    750 times

Default Re: Long tube headers for 1 first gen

Quote Originally Posted by toyeyoda View Post
    picked up the truck last night at around 8 pm. drove it home with just open headers ......and will be for the few days
    So how did it run with open headers and no cats or rear o2 sensors? CEL light up right away?
    2003 Tundra SR5 TRD AC, Bilstein 5100's top notch, diff drop, ES steering rack bushings, Wheelers single leaf AAL's, Pacesetter longtube headers, stock cats, Magnaflow 12586's (No CEL's!).

http://thebrakedoctor.com
    http://uptrailerandhitch.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    26 times

Quote Originally Posted by UPbuilder View Post
    So how did it run with open headers and no cats or rear o2 sensors? CEL light up right away?
    oh yeah, lights shining brightly. the install was a huge PITA...glad i didn't have to it. it fought him the whole way. most of the studs came out and he replaced with stainless but there were 3 that wouldn't budge. i think in total it was like 10-12 hours. i'd call him to get the exact but i think he may still be mad at me lol.
    seanpistol likes this.

Liked
    750 times

So did you finish the rest of the exhaust yet?
    2003 Tundra SR5 TRD AC, Bilstein 5100's top notch, diff drop, ES steering rack bushings, Wheelers single leaf AAL's, Pacesetter longtube headers, stock cats, Magnaflow 12586's (No CEL's!).

Liked
    10 times

I want to know too. And how you did all the exhaust cats, duals, x,y or h pipe etc.
    07 TRD DC 4x4 ToyTec Leveling kit, 275/70/18's, carbon filter delete mod. TRD Supercharged. BA Muffler 8" on order Thanks Keith

01 TRD 4x4 285/75/16 goodyear duratracs
    E-fan conversion, 4.10 gears, TRD lsd, Shorty Headers, 5100 billies at 2.5, 2" block, U-bolt flip, k&n filter with 2 inch ram air mod, ASP u-drive pulley, Unichip. SOLD

Liked
    136 times

There's a new smog law that is coming out next year. They check the computer rather than the tail pipe. As long as your cel doesn't come on there may be ways around making the long tubes legal

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Liked
    2988 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BTF_Tundra View Post
    There's a new smog law that is coming out next year. They check the computer rather than the tail pipe. As long as your cel doesn't come on there may be ways around making the long tubes legal

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    Can you provide a link to your source about the new legislation/rules?
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    136 times

Liked
    2988 times
    Images

Here's the SEMA link: California Revises Smog-Check Program | Specialty Equipment Market Association

This is the article posted:

"Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has signed into law a bill to revamp California’s smog-check program. No earlier than January 1, 2013, smog-check stations will be required to measure the emissions of model year ’00 and newer vehicles using onboard diagnostic testing. Current California smog-testing procedures require loaded mode dynamometer or two-speed idle testing, depending on where the vehicle is registered. The new law also directs that a procedure be developed for testing vehicles that are not able to be tested through an onboard diagnostic computer system.

This procedure for the testing of vehicles that present prohibitive or unusual inspection circumstances involves the vehicle owner presenting the vehicle for inspection at a referee station. The visual inspection will remain a component of California smog checks. Included in the bill are provisions for greater oversight of inspection stations, including providing for increased penalty fees for violations of ARB-mandated smog-check procedures.

For more information, contact Ashley Ailsworth at ashleya@sema.org."

(highlight added)

The language implies that, under the continued visual inspection requirement(s), if non-CARB compliant assemblies are used the vehicle will fail smog certification.

I'd be real careful installing LTs on a CA vehicle...
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 12-02-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    ZapcoTundra and Highwaylizard like this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    405 times

Here's a 'weld it yourself' Long Tube header kit that I make for the 1gen's. Professional installation required:
    2012-06-18190729.jpg photo by keith-carty | Photobucket

I make these 02 sensor 'foolers'

Just another shot of some badass headers:

Folks, hands down, these headers are of at least the same quality as the $1500 S&S headers that are currently on my truck.

The system shown is for use with cats. You have to run an H pipe with cats, there isn't enough room to come out before the gas tank using an X if you run cats (unless you put the muffler below the frame rail, I'll shoot pics of how I put a second set of mufflers on my truck when I get a chance) When you run no cats, here is the system that I recommend:

That is a basic universal X pipe kit from Summit. I actually make the exact same thing only I've engineered the crossover part of the X to be much more efficient. It doesn't 'force' the 2 banks together, it 'allows' them to come together.

I've recently installed this system onto my truck, no cats.

Here's how and where I installed the foolers:

You just drill the smallest hole that you can and weld the 02 bung over it. Then you wrap the 02 with #$@%^&, and over that you wrap with #$$@#^%^ (Please call for the secret, this research took a lot of time to come up with 760-877-4234) I can drive my truck around with no cats and no check engine light

So after hand building the mufflers and tacking everything together under the truck, I remove the system from the truck and weld it all on the bench.

Here's the last dyno run, 32HP the the wheels!!! I was stoked:

dirtydeedsindustries.com mufflers - YouTube

and the stock, single exhaust with long tubes and cats, duals no cats dyno print outs:

Here's the actual headers that are on my truck right now:

The only real long tubes for 1gens tundras were S&S and are Pacesetters. The Pacesetters are of the same quality as my $1500 S&S headers. They've been on my truck for over 2 years now with zero problems. We took a road trip from my house (San Diego) to San Francisco for T giving. Averaging 80 MPH at 3000 RPM (4.88's with 31.5" tires) I got 16mpg on the way home. Not great, but not bad for a Tundra,and certainly not bad for what my truck is.

I hope that helps with your decision, this is a huge undertaking. Installing the headers takes about 12hrs, fabricating a good X pipe exhaust system takes another 8 hrs. The decision on what headers to get shouldn't be taken lightly.
    zlfanatic and toyeyoda like this.

Liked
    405 times

Quote Originally Posted by UPbuilder View Post
    Escondido must have an issue with the upstream o2 sensors if he's running rich since the rears only measure catalyst efficiency, right?

This is on my list for a winter project, time and money permitting. From my searching I've found others running successfully with headers, cats or no cats, o2 sensors or not. Seems most just shut them off with tuners, I've found some who have modified the sensor wiring itself with resistors and stuff, spacers etc etc. There's some DIY articles out there on other forums if you poke around. Point is there are people running modded cars and trucks with no CEL's. I'm going to figure out a way, I hope.
    The rear 02's get 'pinged' by the ECU. I've found that if you make the computer think that the cats are doing too good a job it will throw more fuel at them. You can tell by the sine wave, voltage over .445 is rich, your sine wave should cycle every second or sooner. With the rear 02's too clean the sine wave hits rich 10-12 times for every lean, with a stock truck it's 3-5 rich hits for every lean.

In a nutshell, if the catalyst efficiency doesn't look stock, the ECU gets pissed and makes your truck run rich, so the a/f ratio is, in a way, determined by the rear 02's as well the fronts.
    I like to build BAmufflers

Liked
    2357 times

Quote Originally Posted by escondidotundra View Post
    The rear 02's get 'pinged' by the ECU. I've found that if you make the computer think that the cats are doing too good a job it will throw more fuel at them. You can tell by the sine wave, voltage over .445 is rich, your sine wave should cycle every second or sooner. With the rear 02's too clean the sine wave hits rich 10-12 times for every lean, with a stock truck it's 3-5 rich hits for every lean.

In a nutshell, if the catalyst efficiency doesn't look stock, the ECU gets pissed and makes your truck run rich, so the a/f ratio is, in a way, determined by the rear 02's as well the fronts.
    Keith with your set-up are you running rich, lean or just about right? I am very interested in this if the CEL has been taken care of and the ECU thinks the cats are there.
    zlfanatic likes this.
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the frontand rear differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    405 times

I run with the rear 02 sensors unplugged, that takes them out of the equation. It runs like a stock truck, only much faster for specifics on how to pass the smog just give me a call 760-877-4234. And no it's not an illegal smog, I just don't want to broadcast it all over a public forum.

Liked
    10 times

The best header design ive seen is the tri-y design made by stans headers. Id really like to hear some feedback on these they look awesome.
    Highwaylizard likes this.
    07 TRD DC 4x4 ToyTec Leveling kit, 275/70/18's, carbon filter delete mod. TRD Supercharged. BA Muffler 8" on order Thanks Keith

01 TRD 4x4 285/75/16 goodyear duratracs
    E-fan conversion, 4.10 gears, TRD lsd, Shorty Headers, 5100 billies at 2.5, 2" block, U-bolt flip, k&n filter with 2 inch ram air mod, ASP u-drive pulley, Unichip. SOLD

Liked
    405 times

Quote Originally Posted by toyotawild View Post
    The best header design ive seen is the tri-y design made by stans headers. Id really like to hear some feedback on these they look awesome.
    I would agree with you if they were full length. They build low end tq by merging the cylinders together, but that slows the flow and sacrifices top end. With a real long, tube 30-36" primary, you get both low end torque and top end hp, and don't need to merge the cylinders together prematurely. Another benefit is that awesome race car sound.

Liked
    750 times

Quote Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
    Keith with your set-up are you running rich, lean or just about right? I am very interested in this if the CEL has been taken care of and the ECU thinks the cats are there.
    Would sure like to know this myself, especially the running rich part. Don't want to build a system only to find out it's hurting my mileage rather than helping. We don't have emissions testing here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.