Question Steering wheel won't return to center

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Remmy700P

Thread: Steering wheel won't return to center

Liked
    31 times

Default Steering wheel won't return to center

So I replaced my rack last weekend (2000 4x4 Tundra) along with both lower balljoints and outer tie rods. Everything went in well, I bled the PS system, had the truck aligned etc. The truck tracks straight and the rack feels nice and tight, however, when I turn a corner the steering wheel will return most of the way but not all the way. Typically I have to manually return it 30 degrees or so no matter which direction I am turning. I checked my torque specs on both lower balljoints and outer tie rods and everything is torqued correctly. Not sure if this is typical for a remanufactured rack if it has a break in period but want to see if others have had similar experiences.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2952 times
    Images

Default Re: Steering wheel won't return to center

Post up your final alignment numbers. I'll bet money that caster is set way too low...
    tundra3400 likes this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    31 times

Post alignment numbers

Toe: 0.04 degrees driver/ 0.04 degrees passenger side
    Total Toe: 0.08 degrees

Camber: -0.05 degrees driver/ 0.24 degrees pass

Caster: 1.25 degrees driver/ 1.24 degrees pass

Pre-alignment caster was 0.75 (driver) and 1.31 (pass). Sounds like others have had success adjusting their caster to around 2.00 degrees. Should I consider taking the truck back to the alignment shop and having them bump my caster up closer to 2 degrees?
    Last edited by 87runner; 11-04-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Liked
    2952 times
    Images

Yes. Cross-camber is atrocious. Driver's side camber needs to be corrected to the positive (for a rear wheel drive vehicle) and caster needs to be increased on both sides.

Are you at stock height?
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    31 times

I have Bilstein 5100's set at 2 inches in the front on 255/85 16's. Looks like I will be headed in there first thing tomorrow to get this resolved. I purchased a lifetime alignment package from this particular shop and unfortunately they give me grief every time I come in. Probably because I have taken full advantage of the lifetime alignment and periodically get the truck re-aligned. Oh well, guess that's how it goes when you offer packages like that

Liked
    2952 times
    Images

Print out DJ's alignment specs (attached) and take them in with you. Have them align it to those.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Liked
    31 times

Sounds good, thanks for the help! Will report back with the results...

Liked
    31 times

Got the truck back from the alignment shop, they didn't do it exactly to spec but close

Toe : 0.05 driver/ 0.06 Pass
    Total Toe 0.11

Camber: 0.07 Driver/ 0.06 pass

Caster: 2.02 driver/ 2.07 pass

Truck does seem to be driving a little better, however the steering wheel still doesn't want to center. Tech thinks the new balljoints might need some time to fully seat and loosen up. Sounds possible, maybe I will drive it a bit longer and see if things improve. I will say, I do like running the caster in the higher end of Toyota's recommended level, just seems to drive better, steering is more responsive

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.