Best tires for the tundra??

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Best tires for the tundra??

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

Default Best tires for the tundra??

I live in the North East and we have some crazy snow sometimes. I am in need of new tires for my 02 tundra 2wd, I am curious as to what people think and have had great experience with tires wise. I am not wanting to put out right snow tires on. Any suggestions as to what is the best all season overall best tire for the elements??
    shatto and Padre like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2871 times
    Images

Default Re: Best tires for the tundra??

That's like asking what's the best soda to drink. You're going to get opinions all over the board.

FWIW, I have been running the Nitto Terra Grapplers for almost 2 years and love 'em. If I was shopping for tires today, I'd be looking at the Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX, Firestone Destination A/T, and the Michelin LTX M/S2.

I would not be considering any Goodyear, Dunlop, Pirelli, BF Goodrich, Bridgestone or off-name tire.
    Recklessprerunners likes this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    404 times

I use nothing but Michelins.

I have Michelin LTX M/S in P265/70R16 on my '00 Tundra (with 79,000 miles on them) and on my wife's '01 Sequoia (with 85,000 miles on them). These tires are, in my opinion, fabulous in all conditions, particularly rain and snow.

We used to live in the mountains of northern New Mexico, where we had snow from Halloween to May. Much of the winter, we needed 4WD to get out of our driveway.

Also, I use my truck when hunting, and have been literally miles offroad in over a foot of snow covering plowed fields.

We have never been stuck in either vehicle.

When I replace them, I'll go with Michelin LTX MS2.
    tempetom and Gatorman76 like this.

Liked
    29 times

Michelin LTX M/S are good, they last quite a while as well and are good in snow/ice. What my dad runs on mostly all his vehicles.

I've had Bridestone Dueler AT Revo 2 on mine and I liked them. Current Goodyear Wrangler Dura-tracs are noisy and don't balance good and they're starting to cup. Next tire will be Nitto Terra Grapple in 285/70/17
    Remmy700P likes this.
    06 DC Limited /-/ Stan's Header's /-/ Borla /-/ Flex-a-lite /-/ Volant /-/ Camburg Coil-overs + UCA's /-/ Alcan +2 rear leafs /-/ Icon rear shocks /-/ V-LED's

To install list: Icon Extended Travel
    Coil-overs

Lurking Member
    Liked
    6 times

Nokian Vatiiva A/T. They aren't winter tires but four season tires. I live in Canada and see all types of weather. Four season tires will get u through summer and winter no problem but if u want winter grips X-ice studded never fails!!

Liked
    33 times

I have Toyo Open Country AT tires on my Tundra. Been a great tire so far. Been very impressed with it.

I had Dunlop Rover RVXT (all terrain) on my before the Toyo's. They were also a very good tire IMO. Very good in the snow. They are rated for sever snow conditions. Got a lot of miles out of them as well. One reason I also liked them because they made them in 265/70-16 in a 6 ply which is hard to find.

I hate Bridgestone's. I will never own another set.
    Last edited by Tundrasooner22; 11-07-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    2002 Tundra 4x4 Extended Cab. 4.7 V8 Automatic
    Valvoline Synthetic in the Engine. Royal Purple in the rear differential, front differential & transfer case.
    Leer camper shell, matching color. Toyo Open Country AT tires.

Liked
    270 times
    Images

I'll put in a good word for the General Grabber AT2s though they were not available in the stock size last time I checked (265/70/r16). I had them on my old 2wd Tacoma and I was out all winter through every storm with little problems. One time I was following an F150 who was sliding back and forth going down a road in 4wd (could see tires on both axles spinning) and I just kept driving easily behind him. They have gone up significantly in price since I bought them though. The Grabber put General tire on the map and their prices reflect that they are now a name brand.

I currently run Hankook Dynapro ATMs and have no complaints in the 16k I've put on them. They've started to cup a little but my shocks are worn out (106k miles) and need replacing. I've only put them through one mild winter but they've performed well offroad
    2001 Black AC V8 4x4

Current Mods: TrailFX Tube Steps, Uniden CB Radio with PA, Recon Tailgate LED Bar, Edelbrock Exhaust, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/R16, Blacked Out Emblems, Plastidip Mirror Caps, Bumpers and Front Grill, Skid Row Skid Plate (Thanks to four_by_four), Full Blue LED interior lighting, Herculiner Bed Liner, Kobalt Low Profile Tool Box, Smitty Built Rear Shackle, Walmart Front AUX lights, JVC Headunit, Kicker Front Components, Pioneer Rear Speakers, Magnefine Filter, Viper Remote Start, Single in-Dual out 2.25in Exhaust
    Thanks to Rust: New Frame, New Calipers, New Rear Axle, Sway Bar End Links, Tailgate Straps, Exhaust Leaks
    To Do: Diff Fluid, Kenwood DDX419, 5100s Front and Rear set to 1in, Diff Drop, Poly Rack Bushings
    Quote Originally Posted by italiantundra88 View Post
    dave, every one has a weekness, yours is just any work on your truck

Liked
    607 times
    Images

im a big fan of Bridgestone tires. i have Dueler HTs but im going to be switching to Nitto Terra grapplers since everyone seems to love them.
    2000 Tundra Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 208,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, CV Boot Clamp Mod, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Install Click here)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    CB Radio, AUX Reverse LEDs, Lock-Rite (maybe)

Liked
    3 times

I've been running Firestone Destination A/T for the past 2 years. I've had no issues with snow or excessive noise and they still have plenty of tread left.
    Gatorman76 likes this.

Liked
    29 times

Also going to note that my DuraTrac's are terrible on ice, even with weight in the back they suck. Back end would slide out if you aren't careful with the throttle and I wasn't even going that fast.
    06 DC Limited /-/ Stan's Header's /-/ Borla /-/ Flex-a-lite /-/ Volant /-/ Camburg Coil-overs + UCA's /-/ Alcan +2 rear leafs /-/ Icon rear shocks /-/ V-LED's

Coil-overs

Liked
    2871 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lightforce View Post
    Also going to note that my DuraTrac's are terrible on ice, even with weight in the back they suck. Back end would slide out if you aren't careful with the throttle and I wasn't even going that fast.
    And another thumbs-down for the GY Dura Smacks...
    SuckersWalk and 4wdtundra like this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    1765 times
    Images

^ yeah. stay away from anything with that name on them. they aren't called good junk for nothing.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    45 times

opinions are like ********.

i used to sell tires although its been awhile now. great tires were michelins, BFG ATs and bridgestones.

with michelin you are paying for the name. anyone thats had michelins can attest to what a great tire they are. the BFGs are a great tire all around. back then they had no mileage warranty and i had more people come back from those tires than any other.

the bridgestones sold good and a lot of happy customers but they never made it to the mileage marker.

currently i own a set of duratracs. i like them. fairly quiet but also the most aggressive tire ive owned. i dont have that many miles on them. the tires on my truck are BFG ATs. i couldnt pass up the price and i know they are a great tire.

on my stock rims i have toyo ATs. my 2nd set. i personally think they are overpriced pieces of junk. they are way too heavy of a tire in a size and load rating of comparable tires. i wouldnt ever buy a toyo tire again. they do ride quiet but they are a AT tire and a middle of the road tire as far as traction is concerned. my first set didnt make it even close to the mileage warranty. the reason for the upgrade to the duratracs was because i wasnt happy with the toyos traction last winter. i believe that was just their 2nd winter. i also upgraded wheels. glad i ditched the toyos.

Liked
    29 times

I run Toyo AT's on my diesel, first set was 35" and they lasted about 50k km. I put them on again but in 33", meh on ice and so so in the mud. They are quite and do ride good though. I should have to a different tire though but they were on sale so thats why I went to them again.

Coil-overs

Liked
    2 times

Running pro comp Extreme A/T. Love em , just hate paying that much for tires, thinking bout the Falken Rocky Mount for my next set. Has anybody ran these before?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast