Fuel Filler Door

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jbtoy

Thread: Fuel Filler Door

Lurking Member
    Liked
    5 times

Default Fuel Filler Door

The hinge on my fuel filler door has broken. So I'm thinking it would be a good idea to replace the door with a locking version, given the price of gasoline. I can't seem to find a basic, locking door for this vehicle -- any sources?

It's a plain white 2005 work truck, so I'm not looking for anything stylized, chromed, etc. Ideally, it would look like the original, but would lock.

Thanks,

John
    How we park in Maine...
    2005 work truck, 4.7L, 4wd

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    276 times
    Images

Default Re: Fuel Filler Door

Try a junkyard for a locking version in your color. It would have a different key from your truck but so would anything aftermarket. Mine came standard with a locking gas cap.
    2001 Black AC V8 4x4

Current Mods: 5100s on 4th Notch, Diff Drop, Poly Rack Bushings, Recon Tailgate LED Bar, Edelbrock Exhaust, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/R16, Blacked Out Emblems, Color Matched Mirror Caps, Bumpers and Front Grill, Skid Row Skid Plate (Thanks to four_by_four), Full Blue LED interior lighting, Herculiner Bed Liner, Kobalt Low Profile Tool Box, Smitty Built Rear Shackle, Walmart Front AUX lights, JVC Headunit, Kicker Front Components, Pioneer Rear Speakers, Magnefine Filter, Viper Remote Start, Single in-Dual out 2.25in Exhaust
    Thanks to Rust: New Frame, New Calipers, New Rear Axle, Sway Bar End Links, Tailgate Straps, Patched Bed Floor
    Quote Originally Posted by italiantundra88 View Post
    dave, every one has a weekness, yours is just any work on your truck

Lurking Member
    Liked
    4 times

I think mine (2001) was about 35 bucks at the dealer for a brand new one. I had them match the colorshifting paint and was out the door for under 100 bucks. If it was a basic color I would have painted it myself and save 50-60 bucks.

Liked
    357 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jgold723 View Post
    The hinge on my fuel filler door has broken. So I'm thinking it would be a good idea to replace the door with a locking version, given the price of gasoline. I can't seem to find a basic, locking door for this vehicle -- any sources?

John
    Ironic, but, the early First Gens did have a locking door. Not sure what year they eliminated that option, but, I think around 2003 or 04. The problem was people
    complaining about frozen door locks for us in the cold/snow states.

Anyone know for sure what year this change occurred, jump in and help my memory loss. Not sure if the filler door is a different size on the 05/06 models though, so not
    much help to answer your Q.
    GORILLA likes this.
    JB

2000 Tundra Supercharged 4.7 TRD (Ivan) in Sunfire Red Pearl.

Long mod list, but, have some pics in my gallery here

Liked
    15 times

Mine broke off as well, but had a welder do the hinge for me. A little touch up paint and it looks great.

Liked
    788 times
    Images

Prolly not much help, but I can confirm my '00, built in 08/99, has a locking door.
    My hinge is broken also, and funny, I just checked ToyotaPartsEast the other day for one, and they didnt show anything having the lock in it...Though there WERE two different part numbers...One was like $28, the other was like $33...

Liked
    27 times

I think the lock was eliminated starting the '03 models.
    -'04 Tundra DC-
    Clear Corner Lens, LED Tail Lights, A.R.E. Tonneau Cover, Flowmaster 50 Series Muffler, Magnaflow High Flow Cats, Resonator Removed, K&N Filter, Poly Steering Bushings, Westin Step Rails, Billet Lower Grill, 30% Tinted Doors, Tinted Top Windshield Strip, Debadged, White LED Interior & Plate Lights, Kenwood HU, Polk Audio Door Speakers, 285/50/20 on Deep Six, Dome Light Mod, Fog Light Mod...

-'03 Tundra AC w/ 62,361 miles SOLD 4/10/12-
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...s/#post1799117

Liked
    15 times

If you lube the hinge occasionally it won't break in the first place, I have a 2000 and it has a locking cap, I wish it didn't.

Liked
    26 times

Quote Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
    Try a junkyard for a locking version in your color. It would have a different key from your truck but so would anything aftermarket. Mine came standard with a locking gas cap.
    Good luck finding one. These seem to be a hot item.

Liked
    26 times

oh, and mine is also sitting on the bench in my garage =).

Lurking Member
    Liked
    16 times

Mine fell off my 2000. It just busted on the hinge where the metal wrapped around the post, so I took a piece of thin galvanized metal and made a small loop to wrap around the post. I then tapped the body panel where the door originally screwed in and screwed the galvanized metal in. After that, just bent it to where it looked half-way decent and it works! 5,000 miles and not an issue.

Liked
    788 times
    Images

EaglesFan,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worthless.gif 
Views:	70 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	91812

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.