Rough idle in gear '01 SR5

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rough idle in gear '01 SR5

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Default Rough idle in gear '01 SR5

2001 Tundra SR5, 3.4L

I have a rough idle when in gear and it seems to be worse in the rain. It's not terrible but just seems like it should be smoother. I just bought the truck a week ago with 131,000 miles.

Ran a can of sea foam through it starting at 1/8 tank and ran it just about empty
    Changed the air filter
    Swapped worn K16TR11 plugs with new PK16TR11s gapped to .043
    Cleaned the throttle plate
    Wires are very clean probably recently replaced
    Replaced both vacuum lines running to the airbox (cracking)
    Cleaned the MAF sensor

First it idled really high around 1500, dropped to 1200 after a minute or so, and I took it for a test drive and before getting out of the neighborhood the check engine light came on. Turned around, stopped and started it several times in the driveway and it kept coming on, left for a few minutes and came back and it started up with no light and at normal idle around 500.

Drove it around for a while and it seems like there's been little or no change. I can feel some shake in the steering wheel while idling in D but it's not like it's in danger of stallilng.

It idles perfectly smooth in N. Any ideas what to try next?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    194 times

Default Re: Rough idle in gear '01 SR5

What was the code?

While in Drive, hold the brake and give it some gas, see if it starts a hard miss or idles up normally.

What does it do under hard acceleration?

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

I don't have a computer to pull the code so check engine is all I've got to go on right now. I've put about 45 minutes of city driving on it and it since this morning and it's running exactly like it was before I did the work this morning.

Very smooth when it first comes down from high idle and settles around 825
    Put it in D and it drops to about 550-600 and goes from a smooth HMMMMMMM to a rough sounding BRRRRRRRR with a little bit of steering wheel shake
    Approaching stops it's perfectly smooth until it drops under about 800 right before coming to a full stop and starts with the roughness

I put it in D and revved it slowly with the brake applied and once it got near 1000 (seems like 800 is the crossover point) it smooths out perfectly again. I'm not feeling or hearing misfires or hesitation. It has the feel of poor timing or poorly adjusted butterflies.

Under hard acceleration it feels good and shifts fast and smooth un the mid 4000s. I can hear a little bit of ticking around 3500 and i'm pretty confident it's the lifters not a knock.

I'm leaning toward a vacuum issue because it only happens when in gear and only at the very bottom of the tach. What's normal idle speed in gear and in N? I have factory service manual books 1 & 2 in the mail but am not expecting for another week or so.
    Last edited by archcycle; 11-17-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Liked
    773 times
    Images

take your truck to an auto parts store and have them run the code for free. post it up and well see whats going on. it could be the idle speed control motor/sensor is still dirty or failing.

also i hope you used only MAF cleaner on the MAF sensor and that you didnt touch the bulb it in. that can cause the sensor to fail.
    2000 Tundra 1A0 Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 209,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Install Click here), Uniden PRO 520XL CB, 4in LED Reverse Lights (Install Click Here)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Lock-Rite (maybe)

Liked
    2945 times
    Images

My guess is the TPS.... or something goofy with the torque converter.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by tundra3400 View Post
    take your truck to an auto parts store and have them run the code for free. post it up and well see whats going on. it could be the idle speed control motor/sensor is still dirty or failing.

also i hope you used only MAF cleaner on the MAF sensor and that you didnt touch the bulb it in. that can cause the sensor to fail.
    I'll see about getting the code pulled and report back. Would it still be there if the light is no longer on? The check engine light went away the morning I did the work and hasn't returned. I cleaned the MAF correctly with MAF cleaner so no worries about that one unless it were actually bad but I'd think (hope) it would still be showing a code if that were the case.

I've found that occasionally it comes to rest dead on at 800 when I come to a stop and it sits there idling perfectly smooth for a while before dropping down low.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by tundra3400 View Post
    The code is P0110 'intake air temp sensor 1 circuit'

That was the only code

Liked
    2945 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by archcycle View Post
    The code is P0110 'intake air temp sensor 1 circuit'

That was the only code
    Failed, dirty, or poorly connected MAF sensor.
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

So the IAT is a part of the MAF? I found some things googling this at the Advance parts counter about some wires on the MAF being for the IAT (unlisted in their system at least by that name) but decided to hold off in case those wires were going INTO not out of the MAF

Damn. Trip back out later. Better to have waited instead of throwing parts at it though. Any thoughts on the remanufactured ones at auto parts stores vs expensive dealership ones?
    Last edited by archcycle; 11-20-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Liked
    2203 times
    Images

So the IAT is a part of the MAF? I found some things googling this at the Advance parts counter about some wires on the MAF being for the IAT (unlisted in their system at least by that name) but decided to hold off in case those wires were going INTO not out of the MAF

Damn. Trip back out later. Better to have waited instead of throwing parts at it though. Any thoughts on the remanufactured ones at auto parts stores vs expensive dealership ones?
    Clean you MAF sensor first, clean the connections and coat them with dialectic grease. If that fails then look into buying a new MAF.

Tundra Fuel Economy: Cleaning the MAF and Throttle Body
    Tundra Fuel Economy: MAF Sensor and Throttle Body Cleaning
    Last edited by Highwaylizard; 11-21-2012 at 06:01 AM.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

12. 11-20-2012, 06:12 PM

September Sky

Reason
    Double post

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
    Clean you MAF sensor first, clean the connections and coat them with dialectic grease. If that fails then look into buying a new MAF.
    I hosed it down with MAF cleaner from front and back in the initial job so it's definitely clean. I have some concern that it just threw the code after I cleaned it (when i first got the check engine light that went away) and maybe it was still a little bit soaked with MAF cleaner but it's hard to argue with the code. Time to replace it and see. Deer season starts in a few days so the truck that starts when you turn the key and runs acceptibly might get bumped
    Last edited by Highwaylizard; 11-21-2012 at 06:00 AM.

Liked
    2945 times
    Images

So the IAT is a part of the MAF?
    Yes, it is part of the MAF sensor component.
    tundra3400 likes this.

Liked
    2203 times
    Images

I hosed it down with MAF cleaner from front and back in the initial job so it's definitely clean. I have some concern that it just threw the code after I cleaned it (when i first got the check engine light that went away) and maybe it was still a little bit soaked with MAF cleaner but it's hard to argue with the code. Time to replace it and see. Deer season starts in a few days so the truck that starts when you turn the key and runs acceptibly might get bumped
    What brand of MAF cleaner did you use? Have you had a chance to inspect your electrical connections? Could be something simple. Keep us posted on what you find out.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    276,558 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
    What brand of MAF cleaner did you use? Have you had a chance to inspect your electrical connections? Could be something simple. Keep us posted on what you find out.
    I used CRC cleaner. I did not unscrew it from the housing like in your blog post though- I just sprayed it heavily from front and rear while it was still in the intake which I had already removed to do the throttle body cleaning. Maybe it's not clean?

The connectors look like new
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maf connector.png 
Views:	158 
Size:	728.5 KB 
ID:	91901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maf top.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	91902

Is this intake air temperature sensor a replaceable component of the MAF or is it just a synonym for it? Dealership had no idea what I was talking about and said $188 for a MAF compared to $78 for whatever aftermarket brand that Advance carries.

Liked
    2945 times
    Images

The MAF assembly provides the ECU with both... airflow and intake air temp sensor readings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast