problems starting

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: problems starting

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default problems starting

help please i have a 2000 tundra with 139,000 k on it and some times it doesnt want to turn over. battery is new i cleaned all connections at the battery . when i turn the key i can hear the relay click( in the fuse box in the engine compartment) and the throttle position set but no starter turn. after trying multiple times something finally catches and the motor will turn over and start.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    70 times

Default Re: problems starting

Could maybe be the brushes in the starter are worn, just a thought.

Liked
    388 times
    Images

double check all the connection, especially on the pos battery terminal. my truck did the same thing. replaced the starter with a reman and it continued. come to find out it was the contacts or the plunger on the stater motor its self plus the loose wing nut on the pos teriminal. had a brand new one put on and it has worked since.
    2000 Tundra Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 204,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" Sub with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, CV Boot Clamp Mod, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Offroad LEDs, Lock-Rite (maybe)

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

after reading past threads about simular starting problems i was pretty convinced my starter is going out but today after the usual 6 attempts then starting my check engine light came on with a P0340 ( camshaft position circut malfunction) . is this a sympathy code? or the source of my starting problem . thanks in advance for any replies.

Liked
    2774 times
    Images

OBD2 - OBDII Code P0340 TOYOTA - Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Bank 1 | Engine-Codes.com

Start with the easy (and less expensive) diagnoses first, i.e. a poor battery connection, starter connection, etc. Replacing the starter entails removal of the entire intake system.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

battery is new , all connections at the battery have been taken off an cleaned . can i access the starter connections without removing the manifold ?

Liked
    388 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffcheesey View Post
    battery is new , all connections at the battery have been taken off an cleaned . can i access the starter connections without removing the manifold ?
    this depends on if it is a V6 or a V8. the V8 is a PITA to get to the starter. the V6 isnt as bad.
    2000 Tundra Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 204,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" Sub with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, CV Boot Clamp Mod, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    Offroad LEDs, Lock-Rite (maybe)