Heat Resistant Engine Bolt?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By UPbuilder
  • 1 Post By Remmy700P

Thread: Heat Resistant Engine Bolt?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Heat Resistant Engine Bolt?

Hey everyone this is my first post on this forum so I hope I'm doing it right.

In process of changing my spark plugs and wires the other day I managed to break off a bolt head that was attached to the engine block which held a "ground" wire in place. I went in to O'Reillys and they said I could just connect the wire to this other unused hole right next to the old one and it would be fine since the wire would still be ground. So I bought a new bolt and reconected it and it works.
    The question is, the person at O'Reillys told me I needed to go to the dealership and look for a heat resistant bolt since the one they sold to me was not and would eventually melt into place on the block. Is this true? I can't seem to find any of these bolts anywhere online.

The bolts are Hex Head Cap Screws M6-1.0 x 16mm

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    29 times

Default Re: Heat Resistant Engine Bolt?

Um, did they sell you a plastic bolt or something? There's really is such thing as a heat "resistant" bolt, maybe he meant heat treated or plated? But either way a metal bolt isnt going to "melt" to an engine. It might get seized in the block if it is a different kind of metal than the block and has no lubicrant/anti-seize on the threads. ie: steel bolt to aluminum block, stainless bolt to steel block and etc
    06 DC Limited /-/ Stan's Header's /-/ Borla /-/ Flex-a-lite /-/ Volant /-/ Camburg Coil-overs + UCA's /-/ Alcan +2 rear leafs /-/ Icon rear shocks /-/ V-LED's

To install list: Icon Extended Travel
    Coil-overs

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Yeah it sounded weird to me too. I guess what I need is an aluminum bolt since the block is aluminum. I'll put some anti-seize on there too.
    2001 Toyota Tundra 3.4L V6 SR5 Base

Liked
    719 times

You don't need an aluminum bolt or anything else special. Just put some anti-seize on it. Heat resistant bolt, that's funny
    Remmy700P likes this.
    2003 Tundra SR5 TRD AC, Bilstein 5100's top notch, diff drop, ES steering rack bushings, Wheelers single leaf AAL's, Pacesetter longtube headers, stock cats, Magnaflow 12586's (No CEL's!).

http://thebrakedoctor.com
    http://uptrailerandhitch.com

Liked
    2899 times
    Images

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2UZ-FE uses a cast iron block and aluminum heads, yes?
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 11-20-2012 at 08:55 AM.
    Highwaylizard likes this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    2412 times
    Images

That is correct.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    194 times

Keep in mind that most of the guys you see at the local Yahoo parts stores were more than likely flipping burgers for a living the week prior.