Question How to stop wind noise?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: How to stop wind noise?

Supercharged Member italiantundra88's Avatar
    Liked
    360 times
    Images

Default How to stop wind noise?

randomly one day i start hearing wind noise coming from the drive ac vent area. i know its not coming form the ac vent itself. its coming from the door area where the door panel meets the dash. my first question is there a way to find out exactly where it is coming from? i'm thinking its either the mirror seal of the door seal. i looked at the seal for the door and it looks pretty good. no wear, no holes, nothing. its not super loud so a little turn of the volume knob solves the problem when im by myself or with buds, but with the female friends i keep it low so they can chat. of course since the music is low i hear the damn noise.
    next question is there any aftermarket place to get door gaskets? i think i remember a past post and the member quoting big money from the stealerships for them
    07 Tundra Limited DC 5.7 TRD Off Road
    All interior leds, and led reverse lights, black headlight mod, morimoto mini H1 projector retrofit with 5000k hids 5000k 55w hid fogs, debadged, 2010 sport color matching grill, 2 sundown sd 10s in a fox under seat box, afe stage 2 cold air intake, super 44 flowmasters dumped after rear axel

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...store-coupons/ GOOD STUFF IN HERE

Quote Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
    she got mad when i came home and sat in the truck before going inside to see her... i guess the tundra just requires less money and maintenance.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tundrunk View Post
    The sad part is, when I googled "blowmaster" images a picture of my truck comes up, fail.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    193 times

Default Re: How to stop wind noise?

Tape the door seams one area at a time, climb in from the pass side and run it down the road. When the noise goes away you found the hot spot.

Liked
    360 times
    Images

thats a pretty good idea. ill have to try it to see if its the door leaking or the mirror.
    All interior leds, and led reverse lights, black headlight mod, morimoto mini H1 projector retrofit with 5000k hids 5000k 55w hid fogs, debadged, 2010 sport color matching grill, 2 sundown sd 10s in a fox under seat box, afe stage 2 cold air intake, super 44 flowmasters dumped after rear axel

she got mad when i came home and sat in the truck before going inside to see her... i guess the tundra just requires less money and maintenance.....
    The sad part is, when I googled "blowmaster" images a picture of my truck comes up, fail.

Liked
    270 times
    Images

i recommend blue painters tape. duct tape may leave residue. i remember that post where he had to get it from the dealership, not sure if its available anywhere else
    2001 Black AC V8 4x4

Current Mods: TrailFX Tube Steps, Uniden CB Radio with PA, Recon Tailgate LED Bar, Edelbrock Exhaust, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/R16, Blacked Out Emblems, Plastidip Mirror Caps, Bumpers and Front Grill, Skid Row Skid Plate (Thanks to four_by_four), Full Blue LED interior lighting, Herculiner Bed Liner, Kobalt Low Profile Tool Box, Smitty Built Rear Shackle, Walmart Front AUX lights, JVC Headunit, Kicker Front Components, Pioneer Rear Speakers, Magnefine Filter, Viper Remote Start, Single in-Dual out 2.25in Exhaust
    Thanks to Rust: New Frame, New Calipers, New Rear Axle, Sway Bar End Links, Tailgate Straps, Exhaust Leaks
    To Do: Diff Fluid, Kenwood DDX419, 5100s Front and Rear set to 1in, Diff Drop, Poly Rack Bushings
    Quote Originally Posted by italiantundra88 View Post
    dave, every one has a weekness, yours is just any work on your truck

Liked
    193 times

Ive used duct tape many times before. What I would do is clean the fenders and door along the seams and toss on a quick bit of wax just in the areas where the tape will be applied.. Makes removal simple. 2" masking tape works as long as you get wind noise at lower speeds, It doesnt hold on well at highway test speeds.

I find on my Tundra the windshield rain channels along the A pillars are noisy, wipers create wind noise and the window frame on the front doors are the worse.

Little trick for the window frame on the front doors. Manufacturers call it "door persuasion" Roll down the windows, place your knee on the door panel, grab the window frame at the top and give it a few tugs... just make sure you ROLL DOWN THE WINDOW FIRST! This will tighten up the window frame. What happens is shutting the doors over time have a tendency to push the window frames outward at impact. Add some vehicle settling and the once quite window seals are louder than the rattles from your JBL speakers.

Liked
    360 times
    Images

It does make noise at low speed but it is super quiet. Almost non noticeable. Also like I said it started randomly and is right by the ac vent but on the door. The of thing is is it literally randomly started. Nothing changed on the vehicle. No recent accidents to cause a bad seal not anything.