Please Help with a Transmission issue? can't find anything online

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bgeorge

Thread: Please Help with a Transmission issue? can't find anything online

Liked
    0 times

Angry Please Help with a Transmission issue? can't find anything online

I have a 2005 Tundra Double Cab Limited with the 4.7 vvti and the 5 speed auto Trans.

The Transmission won't shift into overdrive on its own, so what I have to do is to push the "Overdrive" button to off, and then
    push it again to turn it back on and then it will shift into overdrive...

I have to do this every single time, but the Trans will shift into all the other gears just fine.

I Took apart the stearing column and found the wire from the shift lever had been rubbing, I taped it up in hopes that it would cure
    this issue but it didn't. I just got a new shift lever today and installed that thinking there could be a possible short in the button itself
    and the new lever didn't fix the problem...

Any Help would be greatly appreciated. It is killing my mileage and is more of a pain in the butt to push the button to drop my RPM's

(I have searched for solenoids or wiring into the trans that just for the overdrive and I can't find anything out)

Thank you for the help in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    25 times

Default Re: Please Help with a Transmission issue? can't find anything online

Did you do a search of 05 tundra transmission problem? I have an 05 AC which had problems that were major compared to you. I went to a dealer and they said it was a couple of solenoids and they would need to replace the transmission.

This year model has a 15 pin connector where the wire comes from the transmission and connects to the computer. The factory never put dielectric grease in there. My connector had 3 corroded pins that was the problem. I had a transmission shop pick the corroded pins put of the female connector and replace the male connector which came from the transmission. They had to drain the transmission and drop the pan to attach the leads to the solenoids. It cost $400.00

It could be one of those pins in there is corroded which sends the overdrive info. I would bring it to a good transmission shop and explain what was happening. It is easy to pull the connector apart to see if that is the problem. It sounds like a wiring or switch problem somewhere.

Keep us informed on what you find!
    kanaduh and Remmy700P like this.

Liked
    0 times

Thank you for the info..

I have been searching for the info about the Transmission but All I find is that their Trans will just drop from "overdrive" by itself and then re-engage by itself.

I am 95% sure mine is electrical, its just knowing what wires to the transmission do what SO i have a better place to start looking..

I am assuming its a connector or a corroded wire somewhere.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 2005 Tundra 5 speed auto Transmission?

Liked
    0 times

JUST AN UPDATE!!!

I got my Tundra Back an hour ago. The Dealership had it for a couple days and were doing tests.

They said that they ECU wasn't communicating with the Trans very well, and they said that the ECU is under warranty still. It has an 8 year 80,000 mile warranty.

I have the truck now, the computer will be in Tuesday or Wednesday.

HOPING FOR THIS TO FIX IT!!! Especially because it is free!

Liked
    2917 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scott's tundra View Post
    JUST AN UPDATE!!!

I got my Tundra Back an hour ago. The Dealership had it for a couple days and were doing tests.

They said that they ECU wasn't communicating with the Trans very well, and they said that the ECU is under warranty still. It has an 8 year 80,000 mile warranty.

I have the truck now, the computer will be in Tuesday or Wednesday.

HOPING FOR THIS TO FIX IT!!! Especially because it is free!
    I'd bet money that it isn't the ECU, and the "communication" problem is in the wiring, probably an abraded wire in the column or a connector at the transmission housing.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    0 times

Yeah, I'm hoping its the ECU but i'm not holding my breathe. I know its electrical but nothing in the column that i can see as I have gone through it all searching and whatnot...

A mechanic buddy of mine went through all the connectors on the transmission and all the wires and pins seemed to be just fine.

I hate issues like these, its just time consuming and a pain!

Liked
    0 times

I haven't been on here for awhile.
    I have an update, the ECU didn't fix anything. But i have noticed that every morning or when the truck is "cold" it shifts flawlessly..
    When it is warmed up, it doesn't like to shift from 3rd to 4th very nicely, and won't shift into overdrive unless I "turn off, overdrive" and then "turn it back on" with the shifter.

Is there some type of thermostat that will cause this or some temp sensor?

Thanks for the help

Liked
    2917 times
    Images

Did they closely inspect the condition of the electrical harness at the transmission housing? There are all kinds of connectors down there, and, if they are asserting that the ECU wasn't "communicating with the transmission very well" (something I hugely suspect, btw...), then it has to be at the transmission housing itself.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    0 times

I had them, and also a mechanic buddy and myself went through and checked all the connectors and wires. they weren't corroded at all, and seemed to connect just fine.

I don't know why it will shift perfect when its cold but when it warms up, it has issues.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    48 times
    Images

There is a temperature switch. But it's supposed to work the other way around (cold prevents shifting to O/D). Maybe that switch has gone haywire.

Liked
    0 times

can you tell me where that Temperature switch is located?
    I want to see if I can change it to see if that helps with the issue...

Any help would be amazing!!

Thanks so much!

I also had a buddy tell me that a speed sensor could cause issues with the trans shifting?

Liked
    0 times

**bump**